Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Proof of outbound ticket for entry

Posted by JustinC474 on 28/8/2012 at 13:06

Hey all,

I've been reading up on Thailand's tourist policies with regards to visas and such. I've been seeing that Thailand requires you to have proof of an outbound ticket (either by air or rail) before entry and sometimes the airlines will not let you board without showing this.

My plan was to fly into Bangkok and then bus into either Laos or Cambodia within the 30 days. However I'm trying to be flexible (and do it cheaply) so I was not planning on having the information before I enter.

Has anyone had any problems with this before? What would you suggest?

Thanks!

#1 JustinC474 has been a member since 27/8/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by adammcintyre on 28/8/2012 at 16:32

I would like to know this too! :)

#2 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by exacto on 28/8/2012 at 16:53

Hello boys and girls,

This question does come up often, and as far as I've personally experienced and read from multiple posts on this website, none of us has even seen someone turned away at immigration because they don't have proof of onward travel. The best I can tell is that Thai immigration reserves the right to turn you away and uses this as an excuse if you look too rough around the edges. But even that hardly ever happens.

The bigger risk, as the OP mentioned, is that your airline will not let you board if you don't have proof of onward travel. Even there though, it doesn't happen often. The first thing you can do is check with your airline and see what their policy is. Try and get something in writing if you can just in case the particular gate agent is having a bad hair day when you check in for your flight.

If it looks risky with your airline, a couple of quick workarounds to this problem are to A) apply for a 60-day tourist visa before you travel instead of relying on the 30-day visa exemption on arrival or B) book onward travel with a cheap airline like Air Asia and then cancel if you don't need the flight.

I'm sure others will have feedback and suggestions too. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by JustinC474 on 28/8/2012 at 16:55

Thanks! perfectly answered all of my questions

#4 JustinC474 has been a member since 27/8/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by adammcintyre on 28/8/2012 at 16:56

Thanks @exacto, much appreciated!

#5 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by JustinC474 on 29/8/2012 at 17:06

Wondering if anyone had experience with Hong Kong Airlines directly... I found a great ticket but unfortunately I can't find their policy or anyway to contact them from the states except for email

#6 JustinC474 has been a member since 27/8/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by captainbkk on 30/8/2012 at 05:41

useless to contact them- use brains: would an airline ever telly ou they will flout official rules? What exacto was not exact in to tell: the apllication of the as such clear rules also vary per airline and per airport. Notoriously OZieland down yondah is often quoted for being very stringent in enforcing them.

#7 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/8/2012 at 05:54 admin

Depends on the airline and where you are flying from. Sydney & Melbourne + Jetstar seems to be the worst combination for an onwards ticket being required. Officially yes, it is required, but in practise, as others have said, your mileage will vary.

I've been asked a couple of times now, in each case I've had an onward ticket, but the vast majority of times I don't get asked.

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by sayadian on 31/8/2012 at 02:57

Just to add that I'm in the immigration line something like 5 or 6 times a year and I've never seen anybody asked for proof of onward travel. I've traveled from UK with pretty much all the Middle Eastern airlines and they've never asked me.So the odds are certainly in your favor but s**t happens as they say.

#9 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.