Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Proof of outbound ticket for entry

• JustinC474

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2012

Hey all,

I've been reading up on Thailand's tourist policies with regards to visas and such. I've been seeing that Thailand requires you to have proof of an outbound ticket (either by air or rail) before entry and sometimes the airlines will not let you board without showing this.

My plan was to fly into Bangkok and then bus into either Laos or Cambodia within the 30 days. However I'm trying to be flexible (and do it cheaply) so I was not planning on having the information before I enter.

Has anyone had any problems with this before? What would you suggest?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 13:06

• Advertisement

• adammcintyre

Click here to learn more about adammcintyre
    Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I would like to know this too! :)

#2 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 16:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hello boys and girls,

This question does come up often, and as far as I've personally experienced and read from multiple posts on this website, none of us has even seen someone turned away at immigration because they don't have proof of onward travel. The best I can tell is that Thai immigration reserves the right to turn you away and uses this as an excuse if you look too rough around the edges. But even that hardly ever happens.

The bigger risk, as the OP mentioned, is that your airline will not let you board if you don't have proof of onward travel. Even there though, it doesn't happen often. The first thing you can do is check with your airline and see what their policy is. Try and get something in writing if you can just in case the particular gate agent is having a bad hair day when you check in for your flight.

If it looks risky with your airline, a couple of quick workarounds to this problem are to A) apply for a 60-day tourist visa before you travel instead of relying on the 30-day visa exemption on arrival or B) book onward travel with a cheap airline like Air Asia and then cancel if you don't need the flight.

I'm sure others will have feedback and suggestions too. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 16:53

• JustinC474

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2012

Thanks! perfectly answered all of my questions

#4 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 16:55

• adammcintyre

Click here to learn more about adammcintyre
    Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks @exacto, much appreciated!

#5 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 16:56

• JustinC474

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2012

Wondering if anyone had experience with Hong Kong Airlines directly... I found a great ticket but unfortunately I can't find their policy or anyway to contact them from the states except for email

#6 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 17:06

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

useless to contact them- use brains: would an airline ever telly ou they will flout official rules? What exacto was not exact in to tell: the apllication of the as such clear rules also vary per airline and per airport. Notoriously OZieland down yondah is often quoted for being very stringent in enforcing them.

#7 Posted: 30/8/2012 - 05:41

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Depends on the airline and where you are flying from. Sydney & Melbourne + Jetstar seems to be the worst combination for an onwards ticket being required. Officially yes, it is required, but in practise, as others have said, your mileage will vary.

I've been asked a couple of times now, in each case I've had an onward ticket, but the vast majority of times I don't get asked.

#8 Posted: 30/8/2012 - 05:54

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Just to add that I'm in the immigration line something like 5 or 6 times a year and I've never seen anybody asked for proof of onward travel. I've traveled from UK with pretty much all the Middle Eastern airlines and they've never asked me.So the odds are certainly in your favor but s**t happens as they say.

#9 Posted: 31/8/2012 - 02:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Outbound Air Ticket Required? ... By hsoa on 18 Apr 2011 4 3015 16 May 2011
How do I travel without set plans? More specifically, what do I do about Visas, outbound ticket reqs ... By gottagetaway on 9 Mar 2011 2 3175 10 Mar 2011
e ticket as proof of onward travel? ... By ee104 on 28 Oct 2008 1 4130 29 Oct 2008