Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Traveling from Phuket to Koh Lanta

• Witte

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2012

Hi Guys,

On the 20th of December our inland flight arrives in Phuket from Chiang Mai at 15.00h.

What is the easiest and fastest way to get to Koh Lanta from the Phuket airport? (as we are not planning to stay a night in Phuket)

Thanks for your helpfull answers!!

#1 Posted: 30/8/2012 - 08:44

• Advertisement

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    You can take boat from Rassada pier in Phuket ,
    I advice you booking with travel agent because it's probably easy for pick you up at the airport to the pier.

Take ferry from phuket and then will change boat at Phi Phi to Koh Lanta.
    Note that this will pay for 2 round , (First in Phuket to Phi Phi and Phi Phi to Koh Lanta)
    hope this could help =)

#2 Posted: 31/8/2012 - 04:12

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

check out www.tigerlineferries.com

#3 Posted: 31/8/2012 - 09:49

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Too late for ferries. Fine if you want to stay overnight at Phuket town. Or personally I'd be heading for one of the beaches - you will have time for a swim, walk the sand, a beer and a meal at one of the beachside/headland budget restaurants. My favourite location for these things is the south end of Kata Yai beach although there are plenty of other options.
    The thing about ferry tickets is that almost always they include pickup from your accommodation to the pier. And if you shop around at the beach you will get a price way better than at the pier. Go figure.

If you really really want to get to Lanta same night I reckon it might be diffcult short of a very expensive taxi or car with driver. I notice this site http://www.lantainfo.com/getting_ko_lanta_drive_phuket.htm (scroll down) has their last minibus out of Phuket at 1300 (maybe near airport around 1345). Buses are a real problem from the airport - you need to get out to the main road 3km away and flag down a Trang, Hat Yai or Satun bus and get them to drop you off at the turn off to Ko Lanta and hope some transport comes along and picks you up.
    A Phuket Airport car+driver outfit is here http://phuketdir.com/palbuco/index.htm

#4 Posted: 2/9/2012 - 02:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm kinda worried you may have booked your first night on Lanta for the same night you arrive at Phuket airport. Okay, here's an alternative:

Get a Krabi bus (or any of the others I've mentioned) - at Krabi bus station look for a taxi or car with driver to take you to Lanta via the vehicle punts. Krabi is not very far north of the Lanta turn off.
    There are usually taxis passing thru the bus station plus there are always outfits offering car+driver. This site http://www.krabirailay.com/transport/transport.html#krabi suggests Krabi to Lanta for 2500. Personally I think that is way too high, I'd be starting at 1500. If they won't play ball at whatever price you feel comfortable with (often they think it they have a captive market) hop on a songthaew for Krabi town, get them to drop you off opposite Chan Cha Ley guesthouse and grab a room. If CCL is full there is a bunch of similar/cheaper/flasher places nearby on the same road. CCL has a great travel desk - they will sell you a ferry ticket to Lanta plus pier transport for next morning - if you want to be on Lanta earlier, they can arrange for the first minibus shuttle to call around and pick you up.

But look, if you haven't booked same night as arrival on Lanta, do the stay on Phuket thing. All that anti-Phuket nonsense in travel books and on the net is just that - most Phuket beaches are fine for a short time. Even Patong. Phuket town is okay too, except you don't get into the beach holiday atmosphere there.

#5 Posted: 2/9/2012 - 04:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.