Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travelling with Toddler any advice?

• jjinlondon

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2012

Had a bit of a spontaneous moment and gave notice on our flat leaving us homeless and deciding to go off travelling in Asia (mainly thailand) with a 3 year old in tow. I know its a bit out of the norm but wondered if anyone out there had any advise to give? We are wondering things like whether we can easily get triple rooms, whether to take a lightweight car seat, whether to dump buggy and get a material sling etc etc.

Also was thinking Koh Lanta for Xmas, anyone know if its a family sort of place. We're obviously staying away from full moon parties, although would loooove to go to one!!! :(

#1 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 07:43

• Advertisement

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    Koh Lanta If you like quiet places I recommend Ba Kan Tieng beach it pretty far but beautiful and Klong Nin beach is nice aswell.
    I think it's good to stay in Lanta , most people always think about Phi Phi , Phuket ,those islands have many people visit there all year, Koh Lanta it's not that bad I saw firefly at night in Ba Kan Tieng it was Amazing! If you wake up early morning you will see nice view around there and don't miss 'Lanta Pizza' near Baan SalaDan yummy.
    (=

#2 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 04:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

kids under 11 are normally free with existing beds if you dont mind sharing. otherwise you can get one with a daybed or pay extra

#3 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 12:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

And yeah, forget the buggy. The kid is big enough to walk anyway. The streets are not stroller friendly. Sidewalks, when they exist, are for vendors to set up stalls.

#4 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 12:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

If I was going with a 3yo I'd avoid the busy areas. Lanta, Ngai, Krabi would be good.

#5 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 09:36

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

I'd recommend Lanta too.

In fact, having an 11 month old myself, I'd be interested on how you get on if you do go. We used to travel a lot but since our son was born, we haven't even contemplated it.

I love the island. Its very family friendly, from the sandy, sheltered beaches to the guesthouses and restaurants and whilst its too soon for myself and my good lady to return there with our son in tow, we do intend on heading there as soon as we possibly can.
    Don't bother with a car seat. Waste of time.

A buggy may be of use in Lanta and other similar areas but not Bangkok or any other major town/city. When we were last there, there were plenty of families with buggies although most of the roads on the island have no pavements. They seemed to use them on the beaches more ( Long Beach is about two miles long and has quite compact sand in places, just right for a buggy to be wheeled up and down ).

Personally, I probably wouldn't bother with the buggy but its up to you.

I wouldn't even contemplate a sling for carrying a three year old!!!

#6 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 07:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have a five year old little girl, and she and I (and her mother of course) go to the Pullman in Khon Kaen. It's not cheap, but man, it's really a nice time. We stayed there for two nights. My daughter loved the pool, the German restaraunt was excellent (in the basement) and it has a great feel to it.

#7 Posted: 11/9/2012 - 08:24

• jjinlondon

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2012

Thanks for your replies. So far I have booked a weeks accom in lanta via couple days in bk and couple days in krabi. If we like it on lanta then I guess we'll have to find somewhere for Xmas. We'll be there dec 5th so am hoping this is early enough to find somewhere?!!!

With regards to other kids stuff, we'll be getting a lightweight tent type travel cot to keep mosi out and taking a trunki booster seat / backpack so she'll be a little safer if in a car, if they have seatbelts!!!!!

Am still having a buggy dilemma as she'll sleep in it at night if we're still out and we'll need for new Zealand which is at the end of the trip. Hmmmmm?????

Now to try and work out how we're going to pack and carry it all?

#8 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 06:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand in-country travel advice for two weeks with toddler in Bangkok,Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta ... By daphnehk on 16 Feb 2010 4 4280 17 Feb 2010