Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cell Phones in Bangkok

• mreiss

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010

Can anyone recommend a place to buy cell phones in Bangkok where they speak English? It's not so much the cell phone itself, as getting the SIM card and the right plan.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 23:41

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Go to MBK 4th floor (near Siam Square, accessed from National Stadium BTS sky train station). Practically the whole floor is devoted to cell phones and most vendors speak enough English to get the job done. They'll sell you a SIM card right there; you don't really buy a "plan" b/c it's all prepaid, just tell them if you want Internet or not but make sure if you do that you get a certain amount of data (1 gig, 2 gig etc.) so you're not paying for it by the minute. If I were you I'd ask for AIS instead of dtac b/c it's generally better signal around the country with fewer problems. Whenever you need to top up your phone just go to any 7-eleven convenience store and tell them how much you want. If you're buying a cheap phone any vendor will do but I wouldn't buy an iPhone from anywhere in Thailand other than a certified Apple store - too many fakes floating around.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 08:12

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

MBK Shopping Mall next to the National Stadium Skytrain station. Huge selection up on the 4th level and they are accustomed to dealing with foreigners. Getting a SIM takes just a few minutes and costs no more than 150-200 baht. True, DTAC, and AIS are the three providers. Wherever you buy should set it up for you at no extra charge.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 08:49

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    Go to MBK at 4th floor.
    I would recommend about SIM Card use '' True or DTAC ''
    you also can check on their website If you don't know what kind of package will suit you.
    Truemove http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package/61?ln=en
    DTAC http://www.dtac.co.th/2009/english/
    For a little bit advice ,if you like using internet 3G, Wi-Fi = True
    But for best signal = Dtac

#4 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 04:32

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

no need to really go MBK-but it seems this centre is on the list of any newbie anyway. Its better for buying a new fone. ANY 7-11 store in tourist areas will know and have an ample supply and will be very well used to same Q. 1 note; in the rest of the normal world, these things are called Mobile (say like mo-buy in Thai).

#5 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 05:54

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Best not to use internet on your phone cause it gets used up quick. The Thai companies keep sending you stuff which eats up your data usage. Most hotels have wifi these days.

#6 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 18:49

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Ha ha Capt BKK. My mate was over (to UK) from South Africa recently and said:

'I will send you an SMS from my cell'

to which I obviously replied:

'I will reply with a text from my mobile'

sorry off topic but it did make me laugh.

#7 Posted: 17/2/2014 - 08:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cell phones in S.E.A? ... By missgeo on 29 Dec 2011 4 3591 31 Dec 2011
Cell phones and sim cards ... By mattocmd on 2 Jun 2013 1 1322 2 Jun 2013
Calling mobile or cell phones in Kanchanaburi ... By husqvarna on 14 Dec 2009 8 3491 18 Dec 2009
Renting Mobile Phones in Bangkok ... By CalgaryJen on 7 Mar 2007 4 2984 10 Mar 2007