Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Island question?

• luna86

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2007

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice? im going to thailand in june...and i want to go relax on a island....i know june/july is slightly rainy...ko chang and ko samet? or ko phangan and ko samui? help would be much appreciated xo

#1 Posted: 30/4/2007 - 18:01

• Advertisement

• ivo_24

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2007

I went to Thailand last November. We went to the islands Ko Samui and Ko Phangan, I was expecting bad weather as I was told the monsoon season usually runs from August to end of November (I think?), but it only rained maybe 5 out of the ten days while we were on the islands, and each time would have been no longer than 20mins. 5mins after each shower the clouds would pass and it was a perfect, sunny day again. It was a very surreal experience, you could actually see the rainstorms passing by over the horizon in very isolated spots.

As for the islands, we spent 4 days on Samui, and 6 days on Phangan. Phangan was my definite favourite. Samui appeared to be more developed, busier, and more hagglers. Don't get me wrong - it was still a nice island, and the positive side of it that it was a good place for shopping. In saying that, you'd probably be all shopped out after Bangkok.

Phangan appealed to me because of its relaxed atmosphere, the beaches in the north were much nicer than any of those on Samui, the snorkeling and diving was much better, and the nightlife in Haad Rin is something else. I'm in my early 20s so the social side of phangan really appealed to me, but the good thing about Phangan is that you can easily escape the busyness by heading north and avoiding the dates of the full moon party.

I hope this helps. Sorry I don't know anything about chang or samet.

Ivo

#2 Posted: 1/5/2007 - 15:37

• walkingsuns-
    hine

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2007

I have actually been on Koh Samet twice (april 06 and August 05)and once on Koh Chang (oct 06). Both islands are really nice, but different. Samet is more backpacker style, lot of young people, we had a great time partying there. However it's a small island with no prober road, but u can drive on moterbike, but would not recommand it at 3 at night drunk...hehe. Very dangerlous, but we found our way home ( we didn't stay at the main beach...too many tourist). There was a price different on accommodation, we stayed at the same place both time, it was cheaper in august, because it was low season, we were given a nice frontbeach bugalow for 1000 bath. In april the thai have holiday, so it was full almost everywhere, it was really had for us to find a place to stay, so we went to the same place and we where given a bad room with fan for 1200 bath,and we ask how much the frontbeach bungalow cost, they said 2800 bath! Anyways we had a great vacation. The food is great!
    Koh Chang is so beautiful, they have prober roads! We rented a motorbike and drove almost around the island. The beaches r great. We stayed at Koh Chang Kacha resort and spa, which r one of the best places I ve ever stayed. We booked it through asiarooms.com and it only cost us around 1600 thb pr night for a suprior villa. The breatfast and pool there is superb. And people really friendly. Love that place!
    As for the party seance, well not much going on there, but they do have bars and stuff, but the crowd is different than Samet. Koh Chang have great food too. Lots of resturant on beaches and nice chilled out bars.
    Hmm..I have writtin alot so a little overview:
    Samet: young, backpacker, nice beach disco,"buckets", fun, difficult to get around, good beaches.
    Koh Chang: easy to get around, really beautiful, great white beaches, romantic, good accomadation, more develope.
    Both places r great, it depends on what u want. We had fun party time on Koh Samet and great romantic getaway on Koh Chang.

#3 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 04:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.