Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

A good place to base?

• Chriswheeler

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2012

I am going to visit Thailand for three months in early October. Travelfish weather guide seems to suggest keeping to the North for the first month and heading South for the remaining two months. I want to have a base in each of the two locations and preferably rent out an apartment rather than a hotel. Would appreciate any suggestions on what would be a good location with a bit of life, but not over run by tourists whilst at the same time accessible for seeing the sights that Thailand has to offer.

#1 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 05:48

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Prachuap Khiri Khan is a great place to set-up shop for a bit, but it may not be as far south as you might like to be.

#2 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 13:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Chris,

Have a look at this interactive weather map to get a rough idea of what the weather is typically like throughout the country during those months. You'll find it at:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

I've never been to Prachuap Khiri Khan for more than a stopover, but I know lots of folks seem to like it there. If I had the three months you mention, I might look at staying in some of my favorite towns like Chiang Mai and Nong Khai and Trat.

Chiang Mai has the most variety, and as long as you stay away from the Night Bazaar and surrounds, you won't be overrun by tourists. Try hanging out up near Chiang Mai University instead. Chiang Mai is also a great base for exploring the north.

Nong Khai sits right on the Mekong River and has a good mix of stuff to do and laid back.

Trat is near several great Thai islands and the Cambodian border. The town itself is also charming and has good day and night markets. You are really living in Thailand there, since most visitor to the islands bypass this nice little town.

Are there any activities you particularly like to do that would influence your choice? Also, why do you want to stay in an apartment for extended times rather than move around a bit more with the added flexibility. Not criticizing, just curious.

Finally, what kind of visa will you have? That could influence where you go, particularly if you need to leave the country for a renewal. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 14:26

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Nong Khai and Krabi provide a decent base for a range of activities and neither place has too many tourists to spoil it.

#4 Posted: 16/9/2012 - 07:01

• Chriswheeler

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2012

Hi all - thanks to all for the responses - greatly appreciated - I have a two month (extendable to three) visa. I would like to learn to scuba dive during the trip - so a good area for that activity would be a welcome suggestion. We are going to be travel for two years and don't want to move place every night so felt it best to get a "hub" in some of the countries and go away for weekends - each to their own I guess!
    I must say, this website is really useful and well structured - an invaluable tool for a backpack virgin! Thanks!!

#5 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 16:21

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'll be based in Koh Lanta my first month in January, after that, will move about every two weeks until end of March. Glad to see other people staying in a place for a long time instead of moving every 2 days. Bravo - :)

#6 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 21:20

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    For scuba dive , I would advice you go to Koh Tao there are many dive companies that you can choose or you just search on internet if you interested their program then go there and talk to them (I don't want you to book before going there),just meet and talk to them first. Koh Tao is the best place for diving in gulf coast.
    For the best ocean world after you learn diving in Koh Tao , Go to Similan Islands the Andaman coast this is the best place for real diving .
    Enjoy :D

#7 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 22:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.