Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Lanta transport

• allithekiwi-
    frui

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Hi everybody,

My partner and I as well as 2 of our friends are flying into Phuket on the 31st December at 10am. We have our heart set on being in Koh Lanta for New Years Eve and I couldn't find any information about ferry transport there from Phuket.

Are we able to ferry from Phuket to Koh Lanta? How long does this take and how do we go about organising it? We don't mind if we have to stop to drop off people on Phi Phi on the way.

Also, what are the best beaches to stay at on Lanta? We're after a very chilled/relaxed vibe, close to a few laid back bars and restaurants and a gorgeous beach.

Thanks for your help!
    Alli

#1 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 04:48

• Advertisement

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    Yes you can take ferry from Phuket to Koh Lanta, it's boat ferry phuket - Ko Lanta via Ko Phi Phi (arrive to Lanta by boat via Ko Phi Phi)
    I would recommend Klong Dao Beach (not far from the pier) nice bars,food restaurants.
    But I like Ba Kan Tieng beach [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
    it's quiet and have beautiful view and also Klong Nin are nice too.

#2 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 05:35

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

check out www.tigerlineferries.com for the slow boat to Phuket. There are also speed boats which are much faster but the company name escapes me at the moment. Both of these options can take you up and down the Andaman coast as far south as Langkawi, Malaysia.

#3 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 07:48

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You'll make it to Lanta same day if you don't mess around. Phuket airport is about 35km from the ferry terminal in Phuket town (Rasada pier). There is a bus service from the airport that takes about 1h20m for 90 baht http://www.airportbusphuket.com or just pay for a private taxi (800b) if you want to get there quicker. Be there before 1:30 for the last ferry which connects to Lanta via Phi Phi. On Lanta the busiest beach is Khlong Dao so probably avoid that. I've spent New Years on Ao Phra Ae (Long Beach) and it was great - lively but not overly crowded or noisy. If you want really chilled-out but with just a few beach bars go to Khlong Nin or Khlong Jak further down the island, but that will take a while with a tuk tuk or moto taxi. Accommodation will be tight, but there are always touts on the ferry promoting their bungalows and offering free transport, and in this case it might be worth listening.

#4 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transport Koh Lanta to Trang Airport ... By SebastianX on 2 Dec 2013 2 439 3 Dec 2013