Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

anything thailand...pls help :)

• daniellegee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2012

im heading out to thailand for 5 weeks from the 2nd january..i fly into bangkok and out from singapore, i was just after some travel tips n help from u guys...is our time scale enough to head upto chang mai and come bk down? the best way to get around and do this? best places to see elephants and tigers? should we book full moon party in advance? safest places to stay in certain areas? places to avoid? any of your advice is greatly appreciated, also my brother would like to head to laos to go tubing is it worth it? and how do visas work if we were to do this? is it cheap enough (roughly how much) to fly bangkok to laos? thank you :)

#1 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 06:17

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

From Bangkok to Chiang Mai takes about 10 hours by bus or more like 12-15 hours by train. Many elephant camps and the Tiger Kingdom near CM. The north is great in January with clear weather, not too hot, cool nights, wildflowers in the hills. Visit Pai and Mae Hong Son or anywhere out in the hilly northwest. Places to avoid? The Full Moon Party. The tubing in Vang Vieng (Laos) has been shut down, but check the situation again in January.

#2 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 04:37

• daniellegee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2012

Tubing has been closed down?! Wow thanks for letting me know, that's not 2 bad to Chang mai I thought it would of been longer thanks for your help

#3 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 04:59

• daniellegee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2012

Also...y should I avoid the full moon party? We had planned to do this

#4 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 08:20

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'd avoid the full moon party. I imagine the point is to visit Thailand, not crappy tourist ghettos! Just my opinion. Been there, done that, waste of time.

#5 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 22:18

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'd second that - skip the FMP. But then, I'm a grumpy old codger!

#6 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 22:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yeah... FMP, KSR, Pai... I don't get it either. But to each his own.

#7 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 23:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"...y should I avoid the full moon party? We had planned to do this"

Because it's sad and run by Thai mafia. Tubing is highly dangerous too, glad they are stopping that.

Go visit chang, krabi, trang, sai yok, issan, north. Heaps of places to go without the sad mafia run nonsense.

#8 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 10:14

• daniellegee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2012

Do u have any recommendation on where to get up close n personal with tigers and elephants? I've read bad reviews about tiger temple..and read about ayuthaya elephant palace which is meant to be great

#9 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 11:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Tigers are predatory animals. The only way you can get up close and personal is if they drug it. Professional trainers of the animals can usually (remmember the two gay guys, one of whom almost became dinner to a tiger?) work with the animals safely. But in general, if you can do that in Thailand, it's because the animal has been drugged. Elephants are certainly different in this regard - but domesticating an elephant is not a gentle experience for the animal. Just keep that in mind. Thais haven't tapped into some unknown wisdom when it comes to dealing with animals.

#10 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 11:44

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Have a look at www.elephantnaturepark.org - short drive outside of CM. Great place to spend a day and I think they take volunteers as well. Lek has done wonderful things there.
    @MADMAC - Roy had a very, very bad day...Maybe his tiger needed more tranquillizer!

#11 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 22:50

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The tigers at Tiger Kingdom just north of Chiang Mai are not drugged. They are raised in captivity from birth and are well fed and cared for. You can encounter and take pictures with them very up-close.

As for tubing in Vang Vieng, follow the posts on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree such as http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2251298

You can still "tube" i.e. float down the river in a tube, but getting smashed on cheap whiskey and hurling yourself onto hidden rocks might not be an option.

#12 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 05:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.