Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Initial budget

Posted by adammcintyre on 23/9/2012 at 17:37

Hi guys,

my trip is growing closer, only a couple of months until I fly out to BKK

I'm trying to organise my budget for the first two months there, would $1,500 per month be enough to start with or should I take more?

I'll have more money coming in afterwards, I'm just organising my work cash-flow and decided to take cash up front for the first two months as a safety net :)

Any advice will be appreciated! :)

#1 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by tyler on 24/9/2012 at 00:20

With 1500$ (?US) you have roughly $50 per day. If you are staying in hostels and guesthouses, eating off of a stick and taking public transportation - you will have plenty of cash. It should be more than enough.
But if your plan to fly everywhere, dive, use taxis, stay in 5 stars, drink heaps of beer and hang out in Nana for days on end - you'll want more...lots more!

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by adammcintyre on 24/9/2012 at 06:27

haha thanks for the feedback Tyler,

I'm staying around there for 1 year+ and I do have more money at my disposal, I just want to keep to a budget so I don't blow it.

As for the diving and other tourist activities, I will of course want to do those, but not cramming them into two months :)

Thanks for the reaffirmation though!

#3 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by tyler on 24/9/2012 at 09:17

Then your laughing. Have a great time.

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by altmtl on 24/9/2012 at 22:08

My budget is about 1000$ a month - 30$ avg. a day - without diving. Depends on the day - sometimes I spent $20 - others $60. Maybe 120$ when I send a package, get a plane...

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by adammcintyre on 25/9/2012 at 01:41

That's good to know @altml, thank you for your input, a lot less than I spend here in the UK anyway (Damn high rent prices!)

I don't want to seem like one of those people who is looking to travel for the sole reason of it being 'cheap', but I also don't want to turn up in Thailand with a budget that won't suffice, and equally so, I don't want to blow all my cash.

I would like to take advantage of a little geo-arbitrage as Tim Ferris puts it though [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#6 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.