Initial budget

• adammcintyre

Click here to learn more about adammcintyre
    Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi guys,

my trip is growing closer, only a couple of months until I fly out to BKK

I'm trying to organise my budget for the first two months there, would $1,500 per month be enough to start with or should I take more?

I'll have more money coming in afterwards, I'm just organising my work cash-flow and decided to take cash up front for the first two months as a safety net :)

Any advice will be appreciated! :)

#1 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 17:37

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

With 1500$ (?US) you have roughly $50 per day. If you are staying in hostels and guesthouses, eating off of a stick and taking public transportation - you will have plenty of cash. It should be more than enough.
    But if your plan to fly everywhere, dive, use taxis, stay in 5 stars, drink heaps of beer and hang out in Nana for days on end - you'll want more...lots more!

#2 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 00:20

• adammcintyre

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

haha thanks for the feedback Tyler,

I'm staying around there for 1 year+ and I do have more money at my disposal, I just want to keep to a budget so I don't blow it.

As for the diving and other tourist activities, I will of course want to do those, but not cramming them into two months :)

Thanks for the reaffirmation though!

#3 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 06:27

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Then your laughing. Have a great time.

#4 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 09:17

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

My budget is about 1000$ a month - 30$ avg. a day - without diving. Depends on the day - sometimes I spent $20 - others $60. Maybe 120$ when I send a package, get a plane...

#5 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 22:08

• adammcintyre

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

That's good to know @altml, thank you for your input, a lot less than I spend here in the UK anyway (Damn high rent prices!)

I don't want to seem like one of those people who is looking to travel for the sole reason of it being 'cheap', but I also don't want to turn up in Thailand with a budget that won't suffice, and equally so, I don't want to blow all my cash.

I would like to take advantage of a little geo-arbitrage as Tim Ferris puts it though [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#6 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 01:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.