Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Chang Noi, Koh Phayam (Anadaman Coast) Xmas should i book?

• Tinz

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Hi

I need advice on weather to book accomadation on Koh Chang Noi or Koh Phayam near Ranong for Christmas week?

Also is it necessary to book Ko Suk national park at this time of year?

Thanks

Tina 8-)

#1 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 05:34

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I stayed on Koh Phayam for 2 weeks in Jan. Sent an e-mail to the guesthouse a few days before. Xmas is busier, but depending on your budget you can always find a place. Do you know which side you want to stay on? The quiet side, nicer beach. Or the side with more nightlife and facilities. You'll need a scooter to go from one side to the other.

You can reserve at most places without having to pay in advance. So might as well.

#2 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 21:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

P.S. Keep in mind there are no banks or ATM's on these islands, so bring all the baht you think you'll need. Electricity is not 24hrs at a lot places, generator from 18:00 - 23:00 - Not all places have Wi-fi.

little Koh Chang seems to attract a lot of Germans for some reason and is more rustic than KP. Nothing wrong with that :)

Also the beach is not as nice I hear - That's why I took a pass.

#3 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 21:50

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'm often on Ko Phayam around Christmas time (not last year though) and there's usually a huge influx of visitors from about December 20th onwards. It's not unusual to see people sleeping in tents in the grounds of the more popular resorts waiting for a room to become vacant.

I'm not so sure you'd be bound to find a room during the week between Christmas and New Year .... except maybe at one of the more expensive upmarket resorts like Blue Sky Resort or Payam Cottages.

So yes, I'd advise you to book if you're going then, especially if there's a particular resort you want to stay at.

I've never stayed on little Ko Chang either but it does seem to be a bit of a German enclave...everyone I meet who stays there seems to be a German speaker anyway!

Not sure about Khao Sok, have never been there during peak season but I'd guess you'd be OK. There are lots of places to stay and most people seem to head for the beach around Christmas time.

#4 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 05:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Chang (Andaman Coast) or Ko Phayam ... By Tinz on 10 Sep 2012 5 2328 10 Sep 2012
Koh Chang noi, Koh Phayam ... By Pjotra on 28 Dec 2012 0 1530 28 Dec 2012
Koh Phayam to Koh Chang by boat... ... By altmtl on 20 Oct 2011 2 1995 17 Dec 2011
Malaria Risk Ko Phayam & Ko Chang ... By scrog99 on 20 Nov 2010 5 6587 18 Sep 2014
Do I need to book for Xmas? ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 7 Nov 2012 3 1056 10 Nov 2012
Please advise ! Do we need to book accommodation in advance for Xmas in Cambodia? ... By maylosada on 30 Oct 2013 5 2197 30 Nov 2013
Koh Chang - Thai side (East Coast?) ... By Jon_Mak_Mak on 8 Mar 2008 9 4303 30 Jun 2008