Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Week's beach break: Koh Samet or Koh Chang?

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

After 28 days in Burma we will be hitting the beach in Thailand. We fly back to Bangkok and have to fly back out of there 10 days later. This will be the last week of November.

I've been to Bkk year's ago, my partner hasn't. So we'll probably spend a couple of days hitting the river/markets/palace and then head to the beach.

I went to Koh Samet back in 90 and have fond memories of it, but that was a long time ago. Basically we are looking a chilled spot with a bit of snorkeling (we don't dive) lots of swimming, good food, cold beer. After a month of roughing it in Burma - we will be on the flash side of backpacking i.e. ensuite and a/c yes and preferably a pool - budget around $100/day for two. We are old farts, but probably prefer to hang with younger people than with families.

Any suggestions as to which we should pick - I'm thinking Samet may be too small for a week - maybe we should try both? Is Trang worth a day to have a look around?

#1 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 22:30

• Advertisement

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    If you're looking for Trang , I think you should heading to there and you might like to stay at Koh Mook is beautiful, you can take boat or buy one day trips to Koh KraDan, Koh Rok, Koh Mar, Koh Ngai these islands is nice for snorkeling.
    (:

#2 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 23:16

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

koh samet has quite a bit of variety, so you could easily spend a week there staying a few nights on different beaches. you'll be surprised and likely disappointed about just how much it has changed since the early 90's. it is much more developed now (of course), with less charm but many more choices for places to stay, bars, and restaurants.

if i had a full week to spend, i'd probably make the extra effort to get to koh chang. it has changed quite a bit since the 90's too, and not all for the better according to most folks i know. but if you didn't visit it then, there won't be any memories to spoil.

chang has quite a few different beaches, each with a different personality, so you'll want to poke around the listing here to see which of those might best fit what you are looking for. it would be easy to spend a week just on that island, but if you wanted, there are a few nearby islands to visit either as day trips or overnight. i spent a week on nearby koh maak a few years back and really loved it. koh maak buri hut was a favorite place to stay. it is on the remote side of the island, with not much of a swimming beach, but does have a lovely pool and lovely views.

the town more or less on the way to koh chang and/or koh maak is trat. it is one of my favorite spots in thailand for an overnight. good local markets. a few bars and food choices. nice vibe.

let us know what you decide. cheers.

#3 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 22:32

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"koh samet has quite a bit of variety, so you could easily spend a week there"

really how so? There's very little to do and you can walk all the beaches in a few hours. There's a huge mozzie problem there and the NP fee of 500 baht is a rip off.

Chang is much bigger and more interesting plus tours to other islands.

#4 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 10:43

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

sandflies? That makes it an easy decision Koh Chang it is!

#5 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 15:07

• elizabethno-
    elle

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011
    Location United States

Koh Kood just south of Koh Chang is also very nice! Very chilled out and not many people around to bug ya. If you have been to Samet I agree, give it a miss this time just a lot of overpriced places, and check out one of the other two.. have a great time!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/mar/13/thailand-traditional-unspoilt-island

#6 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 05:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Three week break in Thailand ... By kriskeogh on 16 Nov 2011 10 996 23 Nov 2011
Vietnam Beach Break ... By downundergal on 9 Dec 2007 3 2442 12 Dec 2007
Solo beach break over Xmas/NYE--Lombok/Gilis? ... By missmck on 24 Mar 2010 1 3231 15 Apr 2011
Getting from Koh Samet to Koh Chang ... By cara_m on 10 Sep 2010 4 4013 14 Sep 2010
Travel from Koh Chang to Koh Samet ... By lizinwien on 6 Oct 2009 2 3796 8 Oct 2009
Sihanoukville to a Thai Island (Ko Samet or Ko Chang) ... By Kirsche on 23 Mar 2006 4 5400 24 Mar 2006
Best beach/best beachbungalows Koh Samet ... By Jolinde on 24 Jun 2010 4 1738 7 Jul 2010
Which Beach - Bang Saen - Koh Samet or Hua Hin? ... By altmtl on 13 Oct 2014 3 325 13 Oct 2014