Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

where to stay in Phuket

• feiticeira

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2012

Hello,

I am a 30 yo solo female traveler looking to enjoy the nightlife scene - clubs, bars, or walking around town in Phuket in November. I am having trouble deciding where to stay while in Phuket (3 nights which seems like a lot but the first night my flight arrives at 2350 from Chiang Mai). I'll be daytripping to Phi Phi one day and doing some kayaking on another day, and then from there will travel to Krabi and onwards.

I've heard Patong can be tacky and trashy depending on who's providing the reviews, but it seems to hold more of the entertainment choices that single travelers like me are looking for as opposed to "nicer" places like Kata and Karon that I've heard/read have a good nightlife but cater more to couples?

If anyone could help me clarify this or if anyone has recommendations of places they stayed at that they really enjoyed... I am looking to meet people and have a good time with a max budget of about 60-70USD per night for a room but am not opposed to hosteling either as I'll be doing some of that as well. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 21:31

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

My budget is $30 a day - all included so count me out :)

#2 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 22:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

She's not interested in our old asses anyway man!

#3 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 08:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hey little sister, I don't know if you dance, but there's a small salsa scene in Phuket. I can steer you to it if you're interested.

#4 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 08:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Kata and Karon have tacky stuff like Patong, just less of it. I wouldn't say the nightlife is good at all. Irish bars, girly bars, pretty crap really.

If I was you I'd do 1 night phuket and then move onto phi phi for 2 nights then go to Krabi. More like to meet other single tourists on Phi Phi. Phuket is mostly families, couples, groups and sex tourists.

#5 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 10:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Leonard, you don't like nightlife, so I'm not sure that you would be a good source of info on the subject. Phuket has something that Phi Phi does not - a salsa scene. It's a small one, but growing.

#6 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 22:08

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm more into Electro-Trash/Alternative, but what's with all this Reggae and and rock band cover crap, like the Rolling Stones I hear in bars - I mean, like hey this is a time wrap. I hate that old stuff, it's 2012 for crying out loud, play some Lana Del Ray, Miss Kitten, Arcade Fire... I'm not into Salsa but at least it's different.

#7 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 22:47

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Leonard, you don't like nightlife, so I'm not sure that you would be a good source of info on the subject"

Wrong ^^ and please don't speak for me. I've been to Phuket and Phi Phi several times and you said you never even go to the islands. Salsa? Who cares? People don't go to Thailand to do Salsa. People don't go to S.America to watch Thai dancing.

The best nightlife in Thailand is in Bangkok - lots of bars with live music and different styles.

#8 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 10:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Lots of people come to Thailand to dance salsa. Salsa is the number one partner dance in the world. And it's not from South America. In fact, this Nocember at the Bangkok Salsa Festival some of the best dancers in the world will be coming to Bangkok to dance salsa.

The girl in question, however, was not asking about nightlife in Bangkok or Phi Phi, she was asking about nightlife in Phuket that might suit her tastes.

And you yourself told me you do not much like nightlife anymore.

#9 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 11:39

• feiticeira

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2012

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions and ideas. I think I will spend one night in Phuket and the rest in Krabi as my base and then from there day-trip to Ko Phi Phi as I only have 2 other full days in Krabi. If anyone knows of cool places to stay in Railay, please let me know. And I don't dance salsa though I can appreciate watching other people dancing it. I'll only do a quick stop in Bangkok for a night and I'll do Khao San Road and maybe the Sky Bar. Thanks again!

#10 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, I'm just back from two weeks in Phuket and if you have the time would give it more than a day.

I spent my time divided between Nai Yang Beach in the far north (walking distance from airport), SurinBeach a bit to the south and Phuket Town . I quite like Nai Yang -- it is low key and quite pretty. Phuket Town is excellent -- if you do spend time there, I highly recommend the Heritage Walk detailed here

Accommodation-wise I stayed in a bunch of places (8 in all) and there are plenty of decent spots in the 600 to 1,200 baht range -- even in November. Blu Monkey Hostel in Phuket Town was excellent value, but a little out of the way. In Nai Yang, look at Nai Yang Beach Resort -- it falls in your budget and is pretty smart -- handy if you have an early flight out.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 19:26

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"is the number one partner dance in the world."

how is that relevant to a solo tourist who is travelling around a country?

And I do like going out at night if there's something worth seeing or doing ie good live music. I dont want to sit in a fake irish pub paying 150 baht for a beer to watch tv.

#12 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 19:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I mean, like hey this is a time wrap. I hate that old stuff, it's 2012 for crying out loud, play some Lana Del Ray, Miss Kitten, Arcade Fire..."

Do not come to Mukdahan. This place was heavily impacted by the Vietnam war, and it remains in the psyche of environment here today. Walk down the Indochina market and you will hear CCR every day. The Picking Cowboy has a live band that plays the Eagles and the like all the time. Of all the clubs in town, only the Grand Pub plays techno (for the coyote dancers).

"I dont want to sit in a fake irish pub paying 150 baht for a beer to watch tv."

Here we are in violent agreement Leonard.

#13 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 23:22

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

If you hate the Stones then you hate music.

"Lana Del Ray, Miss Kitten, Arcade Fire"

B graders who will be long forgotten in 10 years time unlike the Stones.

#14 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 13:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

My father hated the Stones and he loved music. He insisted that when Frank Sinatra died, good music died with him.

#15 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 14:09

• jayjaysun

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2013

Have you ever been to Sri Panwa Resort. It's look great place to visit and stay a couple days. And also I just found Travel Package for Sri Panwa Resort in Thailandsuperquality.com website. Hope you like this place.

Here is sample pic of Sri Panwa... awesome !

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXCedxdgSfGC7iOq6sBzmU_yxohukm02sjiZqzXUCLDBeWVr17[/img]

#16 Posted: 18/7/2013 - 03:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.