Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok guesthouse with airport pickup.

• Bebop

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Hey guys.
    I'm heading to Thailand for 6 weeks solo, want to book a guesthouse with airport pickup in advance so I don't have anything to worry about when I fly in.
    Was wondering if you guys could give me any recommendations?
    I want to be close to Koh San Road, since I think I will be spending most my time around there.
    Also anyone wanna share any tips or story's of places to go or things to do while traveling Thailand solo?
    Thanks heaps!

(EDIT: It would be nice to be somewhere with a good atmosphere and stuff, along the river would be nice, since i will most likely only be there for a few days, then I will move on to a cheaper option.)

#1 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 11:21

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I booked Baan Tepa - gets excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, and they do have transfer service

(in Dusit, handy to KSR and the River Express)

#2 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 12:04

• Conv2012

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2012

Hey!
    I found myself in the same predicament so I booked up with STA travel, they were really helpful! I booked my flight with them, my first three days in a guesthouse on Khao San Road for £36, and an airport transfer for £13. Having never travelled solo before I wanted to have everything sorted before I went, and they couldn't have helped me more!

#3 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 10:48

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I understand that arriving in a strange city after a long flight is a bit daunting but you'll be paying over the odds if you arrange transport from the airport through your hotel or a travel agent.

It's not that hard to use a metered taxi. At the official airport taxi stand (ignore anyone asking if you need a taxi before you reach it) there are airport staff who will ask where you're going so that they can write down the address of your hotel in Thai for the taxi driver. Show the taxi driver the slip of paper and say "meter". If the driver refuses to use the meter and insists on a set fare then politely say no and use the next taxi. (Set fares are invariably more expensive than what the meter would cost).

Even with the 50B airport surcharge and the express toll fees (which you have to pay on top of what the meter reads) plus a tip for the taxi driver, 13 quid is about double what you'd normally be paying for a metered taxi to KSR.

Up to you, depends how much you feel the extra reassurance is worth I guess.

#4 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 01:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Booking hostels online and airport pickup ... By Pokol on 29 Sep 2009 12 2937 14 Mar 2010