Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok guesthouse with airport pickup.

Posted by Bebop on 29/9/2012 at 11:21

Hey guys.
I'm heading to Thailand for 6 weeks solo, want to book a guesthouse with airport pickup in advance so I don't have anything to worry about when I fly in.
Was wondering if you guys could give me any recommendations?
I want to be close to Koh San Road, since I think I will be spending most my time around there.
Also anyone wanna share any tips or story's of places to go or things to do while traveling Thailand solo?
Thanks heaps!

(EDIT: It would be nice to be somewhere with a good atmosphere and stuff, along the river would be nice, since i will most likely only be there for a few days, then I will move on to a cheaper option.)

#1 Bebop has been a member since 29/9/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 29/9/2012 at 12:04

I booked Baan Tepa - gets excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, and they do have transfer service

(in Dusit, handy to KSR and the River Express)

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by Conv2012 on 30/9/2012 at 10:48

Hey!
I found myself in the same predicament so I booked up with STA travel, they were really helpful! I booked my flight with them, my first three days in a guesthouse on Khao San Road for £36, and an airport transfer for £13. Having never travelled solo before I wanted to have everything sorted before I went, and they couldn't have helped me more!

#3 Conv2012 has been a member since 30/9/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by SBE on 1/10/2012 at 01:45

I understand that arriving in a strange city after a long flight is a bit daunting but you'll be paying over the odds if you arrange transport from the airport through your hotel or a travel agent.

It's not that hard to use a metered taxi. At the official airport taxi stand (ignore anyone asking if you need a taxi before you reach it) there are airport staff who will ask where you're going so that they can write down the address of your hotel in Thai for the taxi driver. Show the taxi driver the slip of paper and say "meter". If the driver refuses to use the meter and insists on a set fare then politely say no and use the next taxi. (Set fares are invariably more expensive than what the meter would cost).

Even with the 50B airport surcharge and the express toll fees (which you have to pay on top of what the meter reads) plus a tip for the taxi driver, 13 quid is about double what you'd normally be paying for a metered taxi to KSR.

Up to you, depends how much you feel the extra reassurance is worth I guess.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.