Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in Dec for 3 weeks?

• chizza

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Hey all!

I'm planning a trip to Thailand/ Laos for me n the hubby in Dec for 3 weeks. The first part of the trip will be Bangkok - Chaing Mai - Luang Prabang (Laos) - Vientiane (Laos) - Bangkok - ?????? - Bangkok (fly home 20th dec)

i would like to spend the last part of the hols around the beaches/ islands but i'm getting myself confused with where to go???

I'm not bothered bout the party scene just looking for somewhere to chill out and relax preferably not to overcrowded. Love snorkeling/ swimming so would like to factor that in if possible. I have a very modest budget so any recommendations to value for money accommodation would also be very grateful (any good beach huts on backpacker budget if these still exist?? or am i being unrealistic?).

i was thinking about either Ko Tao or Ko Pha-Ngan then somehow go through Khao Sok National Park to Khao Lak then either visit similan islands or go to Krabi area? would this be realistic in approx 7 - 10 days?

I know i don't want to got to Patong Bay (previous holiday in 2009)

hope you can help

Becky : )

#1 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 13:38

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Becky,

I don't think the Ko Tao or Pha-Ngan then through Khao Sok to Khao Lak and onwards to the similans is realistic in 7 to 10 days. Plus, if you had the full 10 days for the islands portion of the trip, that only leaves 10 or 11 days for the Bangkok, Chiang Mai , Luang Prabang, Vientiane leg. You are really rushing around here, and spending quite a bit of your three weeks getting from place to place.

You could probably do Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Luang Prabang-Vientiane in 2 weeks, particularly if you fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang. It wouldn't be leisurely, but you could at least enjoy the highlights. That leaves about a week for the beach. You could realistically do Ko Tao and Pha-Ngan in that time, but you'll really be rushing to add anything else because of the time it takes to get around. Another option to consider might be Ko Chang for a few days of beach time towards the end of your holiday. It is a good-sized island with a lot of variety. If you are really pushed for time, Ko Samet is close to Bangkok and is a good mid-week alternative. But if you've got the full week, I'd say Chang or the Tao/Pha-Ngan combo are your better choices. Regards.

#2 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 16:31

• chizza

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

thanks for your reply. i'm going to check out Ko Chang a few people have mentioned it and think your right i am probably trying to fit too much in!! think i was just getting to excited about going on holiday : )

#3 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 03:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.