Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

stay in bangkok..

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Hi experts,
    Im googling like crazy but cant seem to get the right visual or info i need.

I will be arriving on a sunday,1315 local time,and i am looking for a nice hotel/guesthouse close to DonM airport because the next day my domestic flight leaves at 1255.But i would like to do some nice shopping,and saw some good things to do at Sukhumvit Rd and i am wondering if you could do tailor made clothing near Sukhumvit and is it near Don M?

#1 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 16:42

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

No, it is not.Dn Meaung is in Rangsit, which is a very working class kind of area. Mid-day, Don Meaung to Sukhimvite is probably a 30-45 minute taxi ride (traffic depending - it's a Sunday). A 12:55 departure means you want to leave your hotel around 10:30 to be on the safe side. You have the time, so I would get a hotel in Sukhimvite. I doubt you will have enough time to get tailor made clothing, unless you can pickit up on your way back through.

#2 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 22:35

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

No, that's not close to shopping center. just like above said.
    If you take Taxi from Don Meaung to Sukhimvit might not jam much from during 10am - 3pm , otherwise if there's a traffic jam you just take BTS then.
    For tailor you can tell the Taxi drop you off at Nana or Asok (Terminal 21 mall).

#3 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 22:59

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think lower Sukhumvit would be a good choice. It's roughly mid distance between both airports (a bit nearer Don Muang than Suvarnabhumi) and has plenty of tailor shops.

There's a toll expressway to Don Muang that starts at the bottom of Sukhumvit Road, near soi 1. I haven't used the old airport since the new one opened, but from memory I think it would take about 30-45 minutes to get there in a taxi if you stayed somewhere near the Nana or Asok skytrain stops. It won't be rush hour when you're going to the airport but probably best to allow an hour in case traffic is bad on Sukhumvit.

A hotel near Nana BTS would be nearer the expressway but there's a big new shopping mall called Terminal 21 and a Robinson's department store very near Asok so that might be a handier location for a quick shopping fix. (Are you sure you'd want to carry the shopping around with you though, might be better to do it at the end of your trip).

Less than 24 hours certainly isn't much time to get your clothes made at a tailors but I presume you just want to get measured on the afternoon of your arrival and will pick up the clothes on the way back? I'm no expert but I think a decent suit would need several fittings and adjustments, so you might need to allow a few days in Bangkok before your flight home.

Sound like you've never been to Bangkok before so maybe you're unaware that there's a lot of "adult entertainment" in this area of Bangkok. Don't worry though, it's quite safe to wander around at night, just the hassle factor of getting propositioned every 5 minutes if you happen to be a lone male. Lone females and couples don't get bothered.

#4 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 00:09

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

MADMAC, RiniRabbit and SBE, many thanks for your replies.

About the tailor fit, that's exactly my plan, on arrival the measurement, and on my way back i still have a few days left in Bangkok so i can do the final adjustments and fittings etc etc.

@SBE i am a lone female traveller ;-) And planning to do the final big shopping during my last days :-)

In my mind i want to do the following, maybe you can give me some tips, as it is my first time travelling alone, and kinda on a tight budget, bummed out because i'm alone and have to pay the full price instead of spliiting the costs, but hey...independent and single lady (29 yrs old) just do it!!! I dont want to sleep in a hostel, sharing with 8 people or whatsoever, and im terrified of bugs so no cockroaches in my bed (room) please!!! ;-)

Arrival on sunday oct 14 th (leaving nov 1st), check in in nice hotel with swimming pool, near shops (im doing a comparison of different hotels) next day, monday, domestic flight to Chiang Mai , im still looking for a nice homestay or a nice guesthouse for a max of 4 nights, and do a trekking, elephant ride, temple sightseeing etc.

After that i want to move to the islands, but still am doubting on which island.
    The most cheapest flight from Chiang Mai to islands is Phuket , and everybody is telling me that i must see Koh Samui (and pi pi) is it cheap and doable to travel form Phuket to Koh Samui and back? Or is Koh Samui overrated and is Koh Chang/Samet just as nice? What is the best and cheapest way for me to go? Because i have to concider accomodations as well..my goal is to see the beautiful islands, lazy hang out on the beach and a lot of sleeping, sleeping and sleeping!

Oct 28th i want to head back to Bangkok, and see the Bangkok temples, floating market, the famous KS road, and shop like crazy!!!Before flying back nov 1st...

So, please, do tell..! :-)

Many, many, many thanks in advance! :-D

#5 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 16:36

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

I narrowed down my search for hotels and want to know if the location is good, and maybe some convenient info about the hotel and/or its surroundings..

The Privacy Suites: 140 Soi Sukhumvit 20, Sukhumvit RD., Klongtoey

Bally's Studio Suites: 172 Soi Sukhumvit 20, Sukhumvit Road,Khlong Toey

Royal Parkview Hotel, 19/9 Sukhumvit Soi 20, Klongtoey, Sukhumvit, Bangkok
    read bad reviews though, but very cheap.

And do any of you have experiences with asiarooms.com and/or agoda.com?

I really have to go sleep now, but i am so hyped now, time really flies!!! :-)

Now i want to do the planning and the math for CM and islands afterwards..really looking forward to your input! :-)

#6 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 17:47

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

- For temples: you can take BTS to Taksin station , there is boat from SaThorn pier run to Wat Phra Kaew and Grand Palace,Wat Pho,Wat Arun. (get off at Tha-Chang pier ).
    I'll put the link here so that you can see what kind of boat can take you there http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/home/
    - For Khao san road, you can take Bus number 2 or catch Tuk-Tuk from temple to there about 40 - 50 Baht (If he need more 60 baht don't go then), or take Taxi otherwise just walk to there,(yes I do walk from Phra Kaew to KS).
    - For Shoping: Go to Jatujak market *but only Saturday - Sunday, you can take BTS to Mo Chit station. for other shopping places Platinum Plaza it's behind 'Central World' the mall.

#7 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 21:54

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"kinda on a tight budget" and "need a nice hotel with a pool" is a bit of an oxymoron... what's your idea of a tight budget?!

All the hotels you selected are on soi 20 which is further away from the expressway than the Nana/Asok area mentioned above, so you might need to allow a little more time for traffic jams on Sukhumvit Road. It might suit you better, slightly less in your face adult entertainment there. The nearest big shopping mall for those hotels would be the Emporium on soi 24, specializes in luxury goods. It's a ten minute walk away maybe.

Samui and Phuket are both highly developed tourist islands and full of hotels and people on package holidays. If that's the kind of place you're after then either would do, and Phi Phi is much easier to get to from Phuket. I don't see much point in making a detour to see Samui, same same really.

No real weather advantage either. October is a transitional month with the rainy season just ending on the west coast and just starting on the east coast. Could be some rain in both places (but unlikely to be raining all the time).

Samet and Ko Chang are also very touristy but have more beach bungalow type accommodation, and are a bit less urban in character. Depends what you're looking for. Samet is one of the driest islands in Thailand and is relatively close to Bangkok but it would be quicker to fly direct to Phuket from Chiang Mai.

#8 Posted: 2/10/2012 - 06:02

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

Not tailor made clothes, but a good clothes market is Pratunam.
    The nearest Skytrain stop is Ratchathewi.

#9 Posted: 2/10/2012 - 06:11

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

@RiniRabbit: Thanks for de reminder for the boat on the river, i saw a documentary once and thought: thats a nice way to see all the temples!And to make beautiful pictures as well!
    Thanks!

@SBE: The swimming pool is only for the first day, i want to have a little bit of luxury for the beginning of my big adventure :-) My budget is € 1000. Is that doable?

Still googling and comparing as crazy, and now im a bit terrified by the awful reviews i read about stays in Ko Phi Phi...

#10 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 18:00

• Advertisement

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Im really getting anxiety attacks over here because all the prices im seein are so high...so maybe its time to let go my plan ive got in my head and things i think i should do because people say so and what ive been telling people and ask you kind people what i should do considering my wishes and goals for this vacation..

Like i said, arrival in Bangkok, travel to CM (im considering the night train now, to cut down on the costs, but in comparison to a domestic flight the value isnt that much and im travelling with a suitcase and not a backpack so i thought less hassle by flying..) do a nice trekking, like to do a homestay during those days, to experience the real Thailand experience, but i can not expres it enough...terrified by insects/gekko's and everything that crawls and flies...
    :'-( I know its stupid and bladibla, but still, terrified to death and not willing to spend a night with any creature in my zone..but after the trekking and Night Market i want to travel to an island( i assumed Phuket/Ko Phi Phi, but all suggestions are welcome!), and experience my own eat, pray, love(myself). I have a couple of good books i want to work through and do some real soulsearching as im experiencing a lot this moment..im imagining myself in a room/bungalow near a beach with total peace and harmony(and if that is too expensive, a stay with a good connection to beaches)..with maybe some thing to do, but not necessary...for a week and then travel back to Bangkok for the temples, clothes fitting, shopping and see what KSR is all about etc.

So, arriving oct 14th in the afternoon, leaving BKK nov 1st at noon.
    Budget € 1000

Please help me! Many thanks in advance! :-)

#11 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 18:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"terrified by insects/gekko's and everything that crawls and flies.."

Ahhh, and you want to go "trekking" in rural Thailand? This is like saying you want go learn to scubua dive but you are terrified of the water.

#12 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 21:17

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

@Madmac:i think a trekking is not the same as sleeping next to insects or whatsoever right?

#13 Posted: 8/10/2012 - 04:26

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

@Madmac:i think a trekking is not the same as sleeping next to insects or whatsoever right?

#14 Posted: 8/10/2012 - 04:26

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

Hello.... I'm a bit in the same boat as Thailand2012, only about 20 years older.

I'm staying in Phuket and doing some MTB tours and sea kayaking, but also wanted to go to Koh Samui as I thought the geography would be a bit different, being in the Gulf of Thailand etc.

I was told to go to Koh Phi Phi but after reading so many bad reviews of budget accommodation and how expensive that Island seems to be, I think I will skip it!!! (Unless I can do a day tour).

Was also suggested to stay in Krabi or Ao Nang.

I am doing a Trek in Northern Thailand and looking forward to it!!! My biggest worry is will it be OK to do it in Trekking Sandals... I think it will.

Also sad to be spending so much to stay in Bangkok due to paying for a room for just me....

So excited about this trip, going for all of February!!

#15 Posted: 8/10/2012 - 05:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Trekking means going across country, usually over a multi day period, over unimproved terrain. In the tropics, that means sleeping with insects, etc, since they are everywhere. Even when I stay at my father in laws house in the village, there is an ongoing war against the Mosquiotos and ants.

"I am doing a Trek in Northern Thailand and looking forward to it!!! My biggest worry is will it be OK to do it in Trekking Sandals... I think it will."

Bad idea. One bite from a centipede, or worse a snake, and your "trek" is going to suck a lot very quickly. The reason people where boots when they trek is to protect their feet. The tropics are loaded with things that like to bite (those damn fire ants I hate), not to mention poisonous plants. It's not a benign place.

#16 Posted: 8/10/2012 - 05:56

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

I have hiking boots.... but the trek is only 3 days and I think my feet will get too hot in boots... I take your comments on board about the risks though.

Proper trekking sandal/open shoe... enclosed toe and heel, but strappy enough to breathe... Keen Whisper to be precise, or Ayyoyo... which ever is more comfortable. It sounds like a pretty dumbed down trek, suitable for general public.

I'm from Australia and work as a ranger for National Parks in summer, so used to "wildlife".

I'd wear the same footwear here if I was allowed to, but have to wear boots while working (hence my concern about feet getting too hot!!!) however when not working they'd be OK.

I might ask the tour company for their comment too, seeing as they know where I'm walking (out of Chiang Rai - Hilltribe Villages)

Otherwise I could take an old pair of boots and give them away at the end of the trek??? Do you think they would be appreciated?

#17 Posted: 8/10/2012 - 06:06

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

well, dear Euro€€-you make several mistakes that are tipical for the newbie 1st timer:1.money. 1000€ is nearly 40.000THB, this makes for 18 days about 2.200 THB/day=double/triple the tipical amount for low budget bekpekkers, and even more for those in the know and how to.
    You also think that all places are on the www-the really cheap places are NOT in TH. The prices you mention are at least double of what tipical bekpek accomm tends to cost.
    For me it would be far wiser to spend the last days in more luxury accomm, the first try the lower-price. AND: there are always better HTls with pools nearby, where you can pay for entry, if the rains that will fall down for long times in that period are not enough to wet you
    Yes-anywhere in the wild in TH makes you sleep pretty close to creepy and flying crawlies etc. maybe time to get those illogical fears removed from your emotional ballast-by experience in practice.
    It all depends on the trek what footwear is appropr-most treks are just to give the unknowing newbie the feeling (and plenty of chance to take pix for that daft Fcbook)
    s/he has really been into unknown wildes-by not telling that this is trek nr 123456 that visits the village since 1974.

#18 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 05:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I've done some hiking here in the mountains near Mukdahan. Nothing too long or too high. Barely a mountain. Terrain was difficult though. Can't do it in the wet season, as the vegetation was just too thick. I wore US Army Jungle Boots (well their desert variant) and that worked fine. But the heat doesn't bother me.

#19 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 14:19

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

I've checked up, it's on tracks with a few shallow creek crossings, so the sandals should be fine.

The heat definitely bothers me, it snows where I live!!! Going to take some adjustment :)

#20 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 17:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Your guides may well be wearing flipflops Brumby so I think you'll be just fine. I once went for a stroll through the jungle at Khao Sok with nothing but plastic beach sandals on my feet. I didn't have any other footwear that could be strapped to my feet with me at the time and I survived just fine. They were very handy for wading across rivers, not so good for leaping about on wet rocks or stopping leeches getting between my toes. Mind you, leeches will try and eat you anywhere they can if they're hungry. When you try and pick them off your toes they just flip over and attach themselves to your fingers.

The amount of blood can be quite spectacular (think of it as a good photo op) but it doesn't hurt at all and leeches don't transmit any diseases AFAIK, far less dangerous than mosquitoes anyway. I don't recall getting bitten in northern Thailand or Laos so you may not even see any, especially in February because it'll be dry season.

You might see some though Thailand2012 because rainy season isn't quite over yet ... :-)

I've no idea if 1000 euros will be enough for 18 days or not. It would be heaps for most backpackers your age but you don't sound like a typical backpacker. Depends how much shopping you buy, where you go, what kind of transport you use, what kind of comfort level you require for accommodation (quite high by the sound of it).

One thing I would recommend is to dump the suitcase and get a smallish backpack instead, 40-50L max. It'll be far less of a hassle, especially on transport. (eg motorbike taxis can handle backpacks just fine but large rigid suitcases are another story). You can always buy a cheap suitcase or bag in Bangkok at the end of your trip to carry your shopping home.

#21 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 08:42

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

thanks for your reply :)

ive booked a stay in the Mix MP hotel on Sukhimvit
    can you give me some tips for tailor made clothes in that area.or near?

#22 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 10:19

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry, I've never heard of that hotel and Sukhumvit is a very very long road. What soi is it on?

There are tons of Indian tailors and I think the clothes all get made in the same sweat shop factory so it probably doesn't matter which one you choose. The tailor shops just measure you and do the fittings from what I've heard.

#23 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 13:29

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Hi SBE,

This is the address: 98, Sukhumvit Soi 65 Phrakhanong, Wattana, Bangkok, Wattana
    Bangkok, 10110
    Thailand

Thanks for the info regarding tailor made clothes :-)

#24 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 17:26

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

Thanks SBE for the info and Sorry Thailand 2012 for hijacking your thread!!!

#25 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 17:44

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

@Brumbyjack, no problem, the more the marrier! ;-)

And your question reminded me to take my high sneakers with me :-)

#26 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 17:52

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Soi 65 is miles away from where Rini Rabbit and I suggested you stay to be near the expressway to Don Muang. I don't know the area but ask the hotel how long to allow to get to the airport because it might be a lot longer than we said. If your hotel is near the skytrain you could use that to avoid traffic jams or get to big shopping malls and tailors. Indian tailors are mainly concentrated in areas where there are lots of tourists and Soi 65 isn't a well known tourist area.

#27 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 21:20

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Hi SBE, the reason i chose this hotel is because it was a good deal by booking.com...i was doubting again but i was with my friend who had a creditcard and could make the reservation.

I didnt book a ticket for CM yet so i dont have to be at DM airport the day after, after talking to some people i decided to just go, and plan nothing ahead....also a part of my psychological healing....

#28 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 10:40

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well, buying a last minute flight usually means paying top fare but you could try and get an overnight sleeper train up to CM. It's best to book sleepers in advance because they're often full. Check out this site for more information.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

I looked up your hotel and it seems to be right next to the BTS skytrain stop so it would be easy to get to the train station from there. Just get a ticket to Asok and then change to the MRT underground and get off at the end of the line at Hualumphong.

#29 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 01:29

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx?language=1

I haven't read all the thread just saw somebody may want to book a train.This is Thailand Railways online booking site. Only costs 20 baht to book online.Now I call that a deal.

#30 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 02:55

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Im back for longer than a month and im missing Thailand sooo much!

But i wanted to mention the hotels i stayed in during my trip:

1st day Bangkok: The Mix XP Hotel...it was a special offer on booking.com, but the cab driver couldnt find the place easy, the room was nice and clean, though the bathroom didnt had tiles, just concrete?!

And yes, i did sleep near KSR...in Sawasdee Kao San Inn, it was okay, near the busy street, good price.

From BKK to Koh Samet and stayed 2 nights in Samed Sand Resort, 1st night in a bungalow with beachview (very nice, with sea sounds at night) and paid 2000baht, and 2nd night in a bungalow away from the beach for 1200baht)

On Koh Samui i had a 5 night stay in an excellent guesthouse named Rattana Guesthouse, just a little walk (through a nice garden) away from the beach, a very clean room, and clean and nice swimmingpool, a lot of international tv channels, a little supermarket and nice selfmade wooden furniture to eat homemade cooking and enjoy nice and good coffee, and also near the main road for nice restaurants and off course clubbing!Its on Chaweng Beach and Rattana Guesthouse made my stay on Koh Samui unforgettable, and the price was good too!Paid 900baht a night!

In Bangkok for my last days off course in Sawasdee Kao San again and for my last night i booked a stay in 'Bally's Studio Suites' and wow!Very nice, clean, staff spoke good english, roofpool was nice, good roomservice (nice fried rice) nice view, good price (paid 1200B, via booking.com) and something quiet different in comparison to Sawasdee!

Cant wait to go again!
    I love Thailand!

#31 Posted: 9/12/2012 - 18:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.