Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

full body scanner, suvvannabhumi

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Is that a full body scanner I went through in Bangkok last week?
    It's like a capsule you step into with a revolving light.
    Are these the things that 'strip you bare?'
    I ask because there are no signs warning you of this as you approach security. I thought only the Americans used these. I certainly haven't seen them in India or the Gulf, both of which I travel through frequently. Why are the Thais spending money to go hi-tech? They've certainly improved security (do they know something we don't?) Security is now upstairs and is done before the chock point of immigration which I imagine they saw as a prime target.
    I was just flabbergasted that they are so ahead of the rest. Maybe the Americans are advising them.

#1 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 01:56

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, they do have their own militant Islam issues to deal with, and they do get a lot of through traffic - some of it nefarious. It behooves all airports now to pay attention. Planes are expensive.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 03:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Planes are expensive.

So are full body scanners, especially if they are ineffective in detecting explosives. I reckon anyone with a mobile phone and a bit of imagination could explode a bomb on a plane but nobody stops you taking a mobile phone on board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_body_scanner

Scroll down to "Ineffectiveness" and you'll see a lot of cases where these scanners failed to detect things like bombs and guns.

Israel is probably pretty aware of the threat of Muslim terrorist attacks and they think full body scanners are a total waste of money.

Rafi Sela, an Israeli airport security expert who helped design security at Ben Gurion International Airport, has said: "I don't know why everybody is running to buy these expensive and useless machines. I can overcome the body scanners with enough explosives to bring down a Boeing 747... That's why we haven't put them in our airport."

Just another case of "the terrorist threat" being seen as a very lucrative business opportunity if you ask me, and there doesn't seem to have been any long term testing to see how safe it is either. The WHO recommends that pregnant women and young children shouldn't be exposed to Xray scanners and airline crews presumably have to walk through these things daily, possibly several times a day. If the machine is malfunctioning they could be getting much higher doses than it says on the box. And that has already happened.

In March 2011, it was found that some of the full body scanners in the US were emitting 10 times the normal level of radiation

How good are busy airport staff going to be at checking the machines are functioning properly?

Any glitch in power at any point in the hardware (or more importantly in software) that stops the device could cause an intense radiation dose to a single spot on the skin.

Especially male gonads. Sexy lead knickers are the answer gentlemen.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 09:45

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Of course it's about money, isn't everything? GW scam is. 10 years of scare campaigns and it's colder now.

#4 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 10:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I was just surprised there was no warning. I thought you had the option to refuse and be body checked by a person.I was flying with an Indian carrier and I assume it was the Indians who insist on a second check by the gate.Patted down by a sweet young girl amused me. Couldn't even take a lighter on board and that's new!
    OMG Leonard you are SO unPC. I'm getting to like you.
    Actually it's name-changed to Climate Change now but I'm still not convinced either. Maybe it's Al Gore's flatulance.
    SBE
    I'm just off to see if I glow in the dark.
    So has anybody else been through Suvannabhumi lately that can verify this glass vessel with a light flying around it is the real deal?

#5 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 11:28

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'll have a look on Saturday.

#6 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 13:08

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Couldn't even take a lighter on board and that's new!

I watched a couple of security check people walk across the room making a bee-line towards me as I stood in the check-in queue at Denpasar airport last year. They came up to me and without a word started to wipe some wand over my backpack. They eventually asked if I had a lighter or matches in my pack. I did; they were packed with some mosquito coils. They took me aside so that I could take them out. It wasn't a biggie other than to be made to feel like some drug mule in front of the crowds, but I was surprised that they weren't allowed in checked in luggage. I've been carrying the same matches and coils for years in and out of airports without incident until then. I can only assume that the luggage scanner picked them up and that was why I was singled out.

It was a scary moment until I understood what they were looking for!

#7 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 14:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Man, I wonder if I could get one of those jobs operating the scanner!

#8 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 22:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac.
    Why, do you think you'd get a kick out of watching a bunch of overweight sex tourists from Pattaya naked?
    :-)

#9 Posted: 2/10/2012 - 02:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Have you seen some of the hot Russian chicks coming through?

#10 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 03:04

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I've done a little more than watched but this is not the place. Can tell you they're fun.If you go to Russia in summer you won't need a scanner as Russian women are minimal dressers.

#11 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 08:44

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I believe someone was going to check this out? Did anybody else go through the magic cylinder?

#12 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 10:00

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Nope, sorry! I forgot I wouldn't be subjected to this infernal total waste of money machine because I was entering, not leaving, Thailand.

I'm flying out of DM tomorrow though, will let you know if they have these stupid things there too.

#13 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 01:14

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

OK but I was going out of Suvannabhumi. I wonder if they've installed the thing at DM too. Even Cambodia has got on on the super security act. For awhile now they've been fingerprinting with a reader. This from a country that hasn't got 'a pot to piss in.'
    BTW Don't forget to get Madmac's application.

#14 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 02:50

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Always find it interesting on the lighter front - we had the same issue when my family came to see me here a couple of years ago and my mum's lighter was taken from her when transiting in Mumbai (I don't smoke but she does). It had been my understanding that international air regulations allowed you to keep one lighter - but not more - with you in your hand luggage during a flight.

#15 Posted: 20/10/2012 - 10:51

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

and then you get the jobsworths.
    I took a clear plastic shampoo bottle with literally a spoonful of shampoo, clearly could be seen in the bottle.The idiot on security in Bangkok confiscated it because it had 500ml written on the side.
    Where do they find these people?
    Still no news on the futuristic, flashing tube in Suvannabhumi. Don't any Travelfishers go through there?

#16 Posted: 20/10/2012 - 11:53

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 50

I see your point about pettiness, although to be fair the rules worldwide say it has to be 100ml or less liquid in a container with a volume of 100ml or less. On the lighter front, however, the rules say (at last check) that you're allowed a lighter.

#17 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 05:59

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Chris
    There was literally a skim of shampoo in the bottom, probably about 5ml. :-)
    and you're right you are supposed to be allowed one lighter but I've noticed at Suvannubhumi twice now that if you fly with an Indian carrier you get searched and hand luggage x-rayed twice and they specifically look for lighters. Once before immigration and again before the gate.(has anyone been through Indian security-it's got to be the most thorough.)Still I'm not complaining if they keep me safe.
    I think the issue on here from my OP was are these body-scanners safe. SBE seems to believe that it can affect your 'equipment' if your a male.
    So let's here the reports from the guys who've been through them.
    ;-)

#18 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 07:52

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Interestingly it was an Indian carrier my family were flying with when my mum had her lighter taken away from her - and yup, security at Mumbai in particular is ridiculous! Agree about keeping safe etc, though in Mumbai it's way overly draconian and just seems like the military officials involved are just fuelling their own egos and sense of self-importance more than anything else.

Why on earth did you want to take 5ml of shampoo with you? :p It probably looked more suspicious than a full bottle would! ;)

#19 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 08:01

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Actually it was that body shampoo stuff, when I'm hot and sticky and stuck in transit for a few hours I like to wash.I've actually wrapped a towel around me and had a wash in the toilets. Crazy, I know but it keeps me awake as well.

#20 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 08:15

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Haha it takes all sorts I suppose... :)

#21 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 08:21

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

The Israelis might think body scanners are relatively ineffective, but pretty much everything is ineffective relative to giving a high percentage of foreign passengers hour-long interrogations about why on earth they'd want to transit through Israel that stop just short of waterboarding.

Although no doubt a Cambodian border official would see interrogations as a wage-supplementing opportunity rather than an unnecessary expense
    (nb. I believe the fingerprints are - legally - sold to third parties)

Leaving Changi, and just smiling to myself about how remarkably efficient the passport checkers and baggage handlers are, a customs guy wanted to rifle through my bag to find the "bullet" his scanner picked up. Turned out to be a pen nib.

#22 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 23:24

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Enigmatic
    ' I believe the fingerprints are - legally - sold to third parties'
    Tell me more I'm intrigued.

#23 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 09:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.