Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Advice for First Timer

• BeachFossils

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2012

Hi there,
    My friend and I are looking to go backpacking through Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. We are both 18, and on a budget and have 1 month, Bangkok in, Bangkok out.
    After some (not much) research, I have found a route i would like to take, along the coast from Bangkok, to Ko Chang, all the way to Ho Chi Minh, then back through Cambodia through Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice for finding hotels, attractions and connections, but specific advice would also be awesome!
    Thanks in advance
    Luke

#1 Posted: 6/10/2012 - 05:59

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've heard in the past that the border near Trat is a little more sketchy than the other borders. I don't think you'll have anything worse than an extra 20 USD charge to enter or something - but maybe search this and other online forums for more current advice on that crossing.

Finding hotels and what to do when you're there is really easy - there are people willing to take money to guide you around anywhere you find yourself. Some places like Ko Chang are pretty expansive, so it would be a good idea to know which beach you want to stay on so you can catch a ride directly there and don't end up staying somewhere that isn't to your style.

With just one month, and if it is your first time in Thailand and Bangkok, you may find yourself filling your time with Thailand and Cambodia. I say to keep that in mind, but the issue with Vietnam is that you need to arrange your visa before you try to cross - there is no VOA for overland, and even flying in requires a pre-approval letter. Just as a thought, you could then take your time in Cambodia and if you had extra time to get back into Thailand maybe check out some of the towns around BKK or head up to Chiang Mai for a few nights. That said, Vietnam is great and if you do just hurry through a few spots you're schedule is do-able.

#2 Posted: 6/10/2012 - 09:21

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

hi kids

thailand+cambodia+vietnam along the beach
    best to china - in 1 month - kidding?
    best would be from airport to Pattaya(direct bus)
    2 days party-then to Trat - Ko Chang
    and from trat have boat to
    Sihanoukville Beachesin cambodia - look http://www.canbypublications.com/maps/camroad.htm for road
    to Phnom Phen, Battambang, Ancor Wat,
    http://www.thailand-maps.com/Udon Thani(20h trip),vietiene(Laos)or
    Chiang Mai(commercial-but PAI is nice)-and back to BKK
    (all'bout1500km trail )and last stay on Kao San Rd.
    GOOD LUCK!

#3 Posted: 6/10/2012 - 13:48

• BeachFossils

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2012

Thanks for the replies!
    @caseyprich Thanks for the heads up, will definitely check it out. Yeah, will have to look into some of the hotels in the key spots. Yeah, Vietnam might be somewhat of a pain, but we're meeting a friend their, so it's probably worth it, but yeah, definitely considering Chiang Mai and Bangkok surrounds if we have time.
    @thaiXplorer Sounds like a good route, would definitely have to consider parts of it, could you maybe link me the boat you mentioned if you can find it online?
    Cheers for the advice guys
    Luke

#4 Posted: 8/10/2012 - 02:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First timer, advice much appreciated! ... By paulchangman on 17 Jun 2009 4 1811 22 Jun 2009
First timer, advice much appreciated! ... By paulchangman on 17 Jun 2009 2 1584 17 Jun 2009
First timer...you advice greatly appreciated! ... By JustBreathe on 12 Oct 2012 2 1377 13 Oct 2012
3-4 week trip - first timer advice needed! ... By Katie2952 on 10 Mar 2014 5 605 21 Apr 2014
Thailand First-timer advice - head off in 10 days! ... By andreatravel on 6 Nov 2007 2 1673 6 Nov 2007