Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand

• shaungt08

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Me and my partner have decided in the summer of 2013 we would like to visit Laos and Thailand in the space of 3-4 weeks. We like the sound of Vang Vieng for the tubing however we don't know where to visit in Thailand or anywhere else in Laos. We also need help with a time-scale. Any tips would be really appreciate I can see this being one of my best summers.

#1 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 12:19

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

so what would be wrong by visiting your library and lending-or perhaps even buying in a real shop, that thing called guidebook? Do you expect us to copycat such a thick book here?PS: read laos-forumpart: tubing has now been banned by lao authorities, due to incessant and rampant exhibitionist drinking, swearing, nude-walking etc.-all habits that Laos disapproves of, but that seem to signify ''freedom from parents'' for the tipial obnoxious teenage (mindset having) youngsters going there.
    As a result the small town of VgVg-once only existing of budget guesthss, is also near empty now-does not matter, as locals are rich already by Lao standards.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 05:19

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey - - I missed that tubing was banned, how did I miss that.

Thailand - depends on what you want to see with 3-4 weeks you could do the BKK-Chiang Mai-overland via Huay Xia to Laos-slowboat to Luang Prabang-Vang Vieng-Vientinne-back to BKK and then down to Ko Chang for the end of your trip for a few nights on Ko Chang to end with a relaxed time on the beach.

#3 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 05:55

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

There are many posts on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree about the crackdown on the tubing scene. Read posts here. The changes began August 30 this year and latest I've heard is you can still float in a tube down the river but all the river bars are shut down. Obviously it's putting a big dent in the backpacker business, but the situation was just getting ridiculous with record number of fatalities last year and several deaths per month this year. Tubing sure as hell isn't a reason to go to Laos, I mean it can be fun and I've gone many times, but you gotta avoid all the booze on offer that they litterally pour down your throat. Glad to see the end of that.

#4 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 09:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I wish people would try doing a little research and then ask questions, google is an excellent tool to find answers on... the same constant questions about tubing and the full moon party can be found using google... as well as the answers.

#5 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 11:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

To the OP, there is some good info to be found on this site:

For working out an itinerary, distances and travel time: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/

To do some research on what there is to do in Thailand and Laos: http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand
    http://www.travelfish.org/country/laos

Start with that and work out a general plan for yourselves based on what you are interested in. I think you will find people are happy to help out if you have specific questions, and if you've done some initial planning work for yourselves.

#6 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 13:51

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Teach a man to fish - I prefer just give 'em one. :-)

#7 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 19:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand ... By shaungt08 on 7 Oct 2012 1 784 7 Oct 2012
Need help planning trip to Thailand, possibly Cambodia/Laos ... By marycolin on 9 Apr 2006 1 1787 9 Apr 2006
2 weeks Laos trip planning ... By lewks on 8 Jan 2012 2 1307 8 Jan 2012
planning my First trip in to Thailand ... By Maja on 21 Nov 2007 3 2306 22 Nov 2007
Planning a trip to thailand? ... By robemeen on 2 Mar 2014 2 513 2 Mar 2014
Laos and Cambodia Trip - planning stages - comments appreciated! ... By Jacster on 12 Aug 2006 12 2931 17 Aug 2006
Planning a trip to Thailand. Need advice!! ... By ali32 on 2 Apr 2013 3 1414 3 Apr 2013
First time planning trip to Thailand ... By sr78 on 10 Nov 2008 2 2045 12 Nov 2008
Need help planning a 2-week trip to Thailand! ... By Apoloplaza on 10 Jan 2009 6 2169 13 Jan 2009
Planning trip to Thailand next August ... By Annie26 on 11 Jul 2014 4 439 13 Jul 2014