Thailand forum

Resorts in Railay

• elizabethno-
    elle

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011
    Location United States

Hey everyone,

Going down to Railay next month to celebrate my birthday. Will get into Krabi at night and will spend one night there on Ao Nang before going to Railay by boat the next morning. Looking for a nice resort to stay at with my husband in Railay either West or Ton sai, that is on the beach, close to rock climbing and not too luxury, but still nice. I feel like splurging a little for my 26th [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I read its a little hard to get to Ton Sai and since we only have a few days and I know how traveling in Thailand goes, would it be worth it to go there for only 2 nights.... ??

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I guess whether it is worth making the trip for two nights depends on how far you are travelling to get there. Once you are in Ao Nang , you are only 15 minutes away!

For convenience, you may decide to stay in Ao Nang and just do two day trips but I really like the atmosphere of all three beaches in the evening after the day-trippers have left: Railay West and Phra Nang are very quiet and it is nice to drink a beer on the empty sand with only the slight murmur of diners reminding you you are not alone; East has plenty of budget restuarants with music and lots of chatter. After one evening in Ao Nang, I can't wait to escape although the atmosphere and beach at the Fisherman bar on the far left of the beach is nice and the beach quiet.

Ton Sai is not hard to get to but boats are less frequent than to R West as there is less demand and they only leave when full. The other thing is the tide: they can't go during a low tide. However, at low tide, you can walk from West along the shore to Ton Sai in about 15 minutes but it is a bit slippery and you have to climb over a boulder so I'd only recommend that if you have small backpacks. During a high tide you either take the jungle path (the trail starts near R East and takes about 25 minutes, steep in parts) or you can stay on West and pull yourself up a boulder with the help of a rope and go along a ridge and down into Ton Sai in about 10 minutes (not as bad as it sounds but could be tough with luggage).

#2 Posted: 8/10/2012 - 00:55

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Tonsai is nothing special. Bungalows are cheap but the beach is not impressive. The "jungle trek" to West (and consequently the rest of Railay) takes maybe 15 minutes but it involves some climbing etc, it's basically a Tarzan thing that's fun to do ONCE--but if you stay in Tonsai chances are you'll be doing the trek several times and it's just not worth it in my opinion. Tonsai is somewhat cut off from the rest of Railay, which is unfortunate for those of us who like 200 baht accommodation.

I don't recommend walking along the shore during low tide. I took that route first time I went to Tonsai and it's basically slippery and sketchy as hell.

Phra Nang is the only really good beach on Railay, and it's a short walk from anywhere on Railay except Tonsai. So for me it's an easy decision.

If you're the Goa hippie type then you'll definitely enjoy Tonsai though. It has that "The Beach" vibe, lots of young climbers with dreads etc.

#3 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 02:05

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Here's a good picture of the entire island:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EdoXdvl6UYQ/SYzzHaOwcaI/AAAAAAAACZg/wZmUof10jUM/s400/railay-map.jpg

Notice the patch of jungle between West and Tonsai.

#4 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 02:14

• elizabethno-
    elle

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011
    Location United States

thanks for your replies everyone. Reading a lot of blogs and getting a good idea where to go from your answers as well. Can't wait to go explore!

#5 Posted: 14/10/2012 - 22:23

• Hayley2013

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2012

I would reccomend Sunrise Tropical Resort on Railay East. Me & my boyfriend are staying there for New Year. It might not be on the best beach, but it's only 5 mins walk to stunning Railay West and has a sweet swimming pool. Prices are really reasonable, and the higher end bungalows rival the best ones on Railay East.
    Heard great things about it.
    http://www.sunrisetropical.com/
    Have fun!
    Hayley

#6 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 05:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.