Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Chiang Mai & Krabi

• EricSg

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2007

Hi all, i'm planning for a trip to thailand with a fren. So i would like to ask what are the options available for coach travel from bangkok to krabi and chiangmai? we looked at the air options so would like to explore the land options to see if we can save $$ by traveling overnight to these destinations.

Please provide as much details as possible! like which coach company to take, where is the bus terminal and the journey duration!

Many Thanks
    Eric

#1 Posted: 8/5/2007 - 17:10

• Advertisement

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Chiang mai: northern bus terminal, otherwise known as Mochit. There's a BTS station (Mochit station), but station is still some distance from there. You'd have to bus or cab. lots of departures everyday in all classes. overnight VIP bus is a good option, tho a little pricey. second class seating buses are okay too.

Krabi: southern bus terminal. just google it. ticket price for comfy overnight bus about 500-550 baht. it's a 12 hour ride.

khao san road travel agencies will sell you these bus tickets; but i find it better to stick to the thai government bus service. go directly to the stations and buy. buses are better, and faster.

train also possible for BKK-chiang mai. second class sleeper is about 600 baht, i think. third class seating available too but not a good idea to do that for 12 hours.

no train to krabi, but trains go to surat thani, from which there are 3-4h bus/minivan to krabi.

#2 Posted: 8/5/2007 - 21:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Eric,

From Bangkok to Chiang Mai, I'd recommend the overnight sleeper train. The best value for money is the second class fan option. The train departs Bangkok's Hualamphong train station. There is more information in the features section and elsewhere on the website for specifics. Make your reservations in advance if you can. The train takes about 12-14 hours.

From Bangkok to Krabi I'd fly if your budget can handle it. Otherwise I'd look into taking the overnight trains to Surat Thani or elsewhere and catching a bus the rest of the way.

I wouldn't recommend taking an overnight bus to either destination, since I don't think those buses are safe or particularly comfortable. If you do wind up going by bus, word on the street is to take the government-run services (Southern Bus Terminal - Sai Tai Mai for BKK-Krabi and Mo Chit 2 for BKK-CM) as the private bus companies have high rates of theft onboard.

Have a look around the website and I think you'll find the info you require. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 8/5/2007 - 21:45

• EricSg

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2007

tks skinnylatte! so the government bus terminal is at mochit, are the bus svcs the same as those on this website: http://www.transport.co.th/Eng/HomeEnglish.htm

And since we will be flying in from singapore to bangkok, do you know how long does it take to get to the bus terminal from the airport? we will be taking tiger airways, and assuming the fastest way is by taxi or perhaps even the mrt?

#4 Posted: 8/5/2007 - 21:46

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Yes, same as the one on that website -- though more updated schedules will be when you get to mochit, you won't have a shortage of buses going to chiang mai.

Do you mean whether the fastest way to the airport in singapore is by mrt? Tiger flies from budget terminal, which is badly served by public transport, you'd have to take the MRT to changi airport terminal 1 then catch the shuttle. Otherwise just take the taxi there. If you mean how long it takes to get to mochit from Bangkok airport, it really depends. I'd budget for a leeway of 3 hours for customs and bangkok traffic. If it's Fri or Sat or Sun evening -- even more! The overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai is a better option.

#5 Posted: 9/5/2007 - 19:27

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I would recommend flying to these places from bangkok. With air asia its only about £15 and a 1 hour flight!!!

:)

http://www.airasia.com

#6 Posted: 10/5/2007 - 00:31

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

I would recommend flying to these places from bangkok. With air asia its only about £15 and a 1 hour flight!!!

:)

http://www.airasia.com

#7 Posted: 10/5/2007 - 00:31

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

But flying is soooo boring!!!

#8 Posted: 10/5/2007 - 11:06

• EricSg

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2007

Heh, well the flight ticket itself by AirAsia or Nok air for domestic flights is rather cheap, so that isn't the issue, the issue is the taxes and the extra charges! that adds S$40 to the ticket price itself! and imagine if i take a transfer from krabi to bkk and then to chiang mai and then back to bkk, those taxes will add up to a lot!

that said, it depends on how my frens are how comfortable taking the railway or bus! i like buses because they are much faster and if u are taking a railway at night, i doubt u can see much stuff! haha... we will probably end up with a mix of air transfers and land transportation.

And yes skinny latte, i was referring to the transfer btw bkk airport and the mochit bus terminal, as i need to factor in the transfer time when we arrive from krabi. Bkk will be more of a stopover.

Thanks all for the excellent advice!

#9 Posted: 10/5/2007 - 11:19

• EricSg

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2007

hi skinnylatte, is it possible to book the train tickets online? or its only possible to book it on the day itself at the station? my grp's tentative plans is to book a saturday night 1000 train to chiang mai. Also may i have the name of the train station, so we know how to get there!

Thanks
    Eric

#10 Posted: 10/5/2007 - 21:03

• Advertisement

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Airport to mochit -- can't say for sure but factor in 2 hours? You can book bus tickets right before departure.

Train station at bangkok is Hualamphong station. Check out this page for info on how to buy -- http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm it's suggested that you email if you can't get someone to buy them in person in Bangkok. Can't say for sure whehter you can buy at station on the day proper, but I'd book ahead just to be sure.

#11 Posted: 11/5/2007 - 07:19

• EricSg

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2007

oic tks skinny!

#12 Posted: 11/5/2007 - 12:27

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Flying is boring going to Thailand from the Uk yes. But for the sake of a 1 hour flight I would rather have the extra time to explore Chiang mai (or krabi).

But each to their own :)

#13 Posted: 11/5/2007 - 20:29

• walkingsuns-
    hine

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2007

I would definatly recommand flying too. From Bkk to Chiang Mai with bus takes like 10 hours. And with plane only an hour or so, u just have time to read a news paper or magazine, then u r there.
    But if you do take bus then go with vip nightbuses. And with plane...don't take bangkok air, expensive and small bad planes. Take One-to-go, it's really comtable and more big and cheaper. Air Asia should be good to I've heard.

#14 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 05:41

• walkingsuns-
    hine

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2007

I would definatly recommand flying too. From Bkk to Chiang Mai with bus takes like 10 hours. And with plane only an hour or so, u just have time to read a news paper or magazine, then u r there.
    But if you do take bus then go with vip nightbuses. And with plane...don't take bangkok air, expensive and small bad planes. Take One-to-go, it's really comtable and more big and cheaper. Air Asia should be good to I've heard.

#15 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 05:42

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

To each his or her own indeed :) i take 40h train rides in india for fun and am considering the 2nd longest train ride in the world, from south india's cape up to kashmir. Sometimes the journey is the destination! If he takes an overnight bus or train, you save a night on accommodation and wake up fresh in the morning to see the city. :)

#16 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 12:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i'm with skinny on this one; the journey is the destination. for the trip from BKK to Charlie Mama, i always take the overnight train. it's comfortable, relatively cheap, and much safer than the bus. most importantly, after nearly 40 overnight trips on thailand's trains, it still feels like an adventure every time i climb on board. the views of the countryside are much better from the window of a train than from a bus, and the most scenic part of the trip to chiang mai are the last few hours (when the sun is already up and you have nothing but scenery to keep you company). you can also catch the overnight train to chiang mai from ayutthaya, giving anyone a chance for a great day trip enroute to enhance their visit. for a real treat, try to book a first-class compartment.

#17 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 21:59

• trickythefi-
    rst

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2007

Hi,

like the mini discussion going on here.

think most of it depends on time/cost factors. In past always used the 2nd class sleepers with fan on the trains, they're fantastic, pretty cheap considering you go A-B and get a good night's sleep. (have done bkk- surat thani return twice and bkk - chiang mai once). You get on late afternoon/early evening get chance to see scenery and have a few beers then the pretty good comfy beds come down about 21.00 for the night, for added security even at six foot can bang your backpack in bed with you so you know everything's safe. You then land fairly refreshed early doors at your destination to find rooms.

Re buses all sites talk about theft etc and generally not a great night's sleep. A friend when travelling told me half the passengers on a bus discovered shortly after leaving their bus their belongings had been tampered with/stolen. Not worth the hassle i think overnight so i've never used buses for long journeys.

Regarding flying, yeah it's boring but man it's short so more time in destination. Did it once from krabi to bkk early morning (air asai about £15 pounds incl tax)had hangover so woke up an hour later and nudged by next door neighbour there, fantastic.

I'm going to CM from bkk shortly and have booked flights with air asia both ways (£31.64 both ways inclusive). Because i'm only there in thailand for 16 days for the sake of a few quid personally want more time where i'm going but if i had more time would almost always take the train, a fab experience.

So i see it from both sides.

Keep it going, quite an interesting one.

Regards

#18 Posted: 23/5/2007 - 02:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.