Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Gulf of Thailand V 's Adaman Sea

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

In a geographical sense of course.

Is the difference in topography and vegetation worth the effort to get to Koh Samui, instead of just staying at Phuket and Koh Lanta. In fact, is there a difference at all??

I'm a solo traveller and want to see the real Thailand, not just the tourist traps... although I do want to see some of the tourist things Thailand is so famous for.

I am going on a longer tour and trek after starting my adventure by the sea.

*Andaman

#1 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 04:19

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"I'm a solo traveller and want to see the real Thailand, not just the tourist traps"
    Then don't go to Phuket and Samui. Lanta is ok, especially further down the island where it's generally quieter.

In terms of topography many of the west coast islands in Krabi and Trang province have the famous limestone cliffs. Lanta is one of the exceptions and while it has some steep hills it doesn't have the limestone karsts. Same for Samui and Ko Phangan on the east coast - hilly in places but not as dramatic as the likes of Railay and Phi Phi. Vegetation-wise Lanta is dominated by Casuarina trees and the beaches are often strewn with their long thin needles. Ko Phangan and Samui have more coconut trees and a healthy cocnut industry. Go on Google earth and check out terrain and photos.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 09:21

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

Thank you Captain Bob :)

and yes, only going to Phuket as the multi day MTB tour I'm doing starts/finishes there... staying at Karon Beach.

#3 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 17:00

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    What time do you plan to traveling there?
    If you're coming on November - May , you can travel Adaman coast
    Mid October - December these months might not good to travel Gulf side because it's rainy season.

If you want to see the real Thailand then you might have to visit both coast , If you think Phuket is tourist traps , no isn't like that why have to follow them and heading to Patong? you can visit other places instead , visit a nice and quiet beach in Phuket like Nai Harn, Nai Thorn, Nai Yang and Bang tao beach ,
    Phuket and Samui are differents ,natural ,culture.

#4 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 23:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.