• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Can anyone recommend a good spot in Bangkok, besides Chatuchak, to pick-up decent quality military clothing such as fatigues? Here in Canada the majority of army surplus stores are now selling very thin, light, poor-quality Chinese-made clothing that no military would dare cloth their soldiers in ... not even the Canadian military!!!

I say "besides Chatuchak" because I know I can get some items there.

Thanks in advance.
    Tilapia

#1 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 16:35

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I seem to remember seeing outdoor/military shops at the area behind the Ministry of Defense. It seems the area is known as "Lang Krasuang" and if you google for it, that seems to be the area for military surplus. I just don't know if the stuff is quality.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 22:24

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks. I'll go for a wander around the area.

#3 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 07:11

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Good luck. The area around Clark Air base was a prime source of military surplus back in the day when it was still a US base. I suspect it will be the same near any base with a significant US presence.

Some people like to play soldier using airsoft guns and they really like to dress up. I've seen the airsoft stores here stock military type clothing/surplus.

#4 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 19:04

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Tell me about it. I've done the long weekend camping thing at Khao Yai. The majority of guys were walking around in full fatigues and aviator sunglasses, ready to take on the great outdoors ... after getting their tom yum goong and somtam from the foodstalls.

If I can't find what I'm looking for around the Ministry, there's always Chatuchak. I might ride down to Prachuap, as well, so that might also be a good spot to look. Just don't want to carry too much in my panniers.

Thanks for the input.

#5 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 11:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.