Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Quality Used Military Clothing

Posted by Tilapia on 9/10/2012 at 16:35

Can anyone recommend a good spot in Bangkok, besides Chatuchak, to pick-up decent quality military clothing such as fatigues? Here in Canada the majority of army surplus stores are now selling very thin, light, poor-quality Chinese-made clothing that no military would dare cloth their soldiers in ... not even the Canadian military!!!

I say "besides Chatuchak" because I know I can get some items there.

Thanks in advance.
Tilapia

#1 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,493
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by goonistik on 9/10/2012 at 22:24

I seem to remember seeing outdoor/military shops at the area behind the Ministry of Defense. It seems the area is known as "Lang Krasuang" and if you google for it, that seems to be the area for military surplus. I just don't know if the stuff is quality.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 10/10/2012 at 07:11

Thanks. I'll go for a wander around the area.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,493
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by goonistik on 10/10/2012 at 19:04

Good luck. The area around Clark Air base was a prime source of military surplus back in the day when it was still a US base. I suspect it will be the same near any base with a significant US presence.

Some people like to play soldier using airsoft guns and they really like to dress up. I've seen the airsoft stores here stock military type clothing/surplus.

#4 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 11/10/2012 at 11:56

Tell me about it. I've done the long weekend camping thing at Khao Yai. The majority of guys were walking around in full fatigues and aviator sunglasses, ready to take on the great outdoors ... after getting their tom yum goong and somtam from the foodstalls.

If I can't find what I'm looking for around the Ministry, there's always Chatuchak. I might ride down to Prachuap, as well, so that might also be a good spot to look. Just don't want to carry too much in my panniers.

Thanks for the input.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,493
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.