Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Too Many Islands too little time...

• Timetotrave-
    l12

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Hi Folks,

This question has been asked many times and I'm sorry to ask again, but... what would you recommend is a better area to concentrate on given we only have 8 nights in the area..

We will have already done 8 weeks of extensive travelling so would ideally like to relax and soak up the beaches, snorkel and chill out.. avoiding party central large tourist areas..

I'm stuck with the following ideas...

Fly to Krabi and spend a few nights in Ao Nang, going to Railay Beach on a day trip and then move to Koh Lanta for a couple of days on to Phi Phi for a few days and catch a flight back to Singapore from Phuket...
    I'm worried these islands will be too built up as I'd like to go off the beaten track and hide from the general party scenes..
    my other option was fly to Langkawi island and start from here then on to Koh Lipe, Koh Mook & Koh Lanta flying from Krabi to Singapore..

I'd really appreciate you're advice and if you think thats too adventurous given we only have 8 nights. Do you think we should just pick two of the bigger islands and do day trips... I worry then I won't soak up the atmosphere that you get from some of the less tourist smaller islands.. we're going in January and have about £100/night to spend.

Thanks Guys,

#1 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 17:00

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

For a highly recommended relaxed island (by a friend of mine, I've not been) near Phi Phi.

http://www.kohjumonline.com/

#2 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 19:55

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    Koh Lipe, Koh Mook & Koh Lanta these islands are in different province.
    Koh Lipe is in Tarutao island at Satun

So I would advice you to stay at Lanta instead ,if you choose to stay at Koh Lanta, you can buy day trips to Phi Phi,Railay bay, and from Lanta can hire speedboat/buy a tour to visit Koh Mook or other islands around there. you also can go to Phuket by ferry (If you're traveling on their season) and can go there by bus or minivan.

perhaps you stay at Ao Nang and then hire longtail boat to Railay,Phranang Cave, Koh Poda,Koh Kai,Koh Hong and buy a day trip to Phi Phi, you can go to Phuket by bus or minivan for faster way to the airport.
    you will enjoy your trip if you choose to stay in one place instead.

#3 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 22:36

• Timetotrave-
    l12

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Thanks for the info folks,

I think you're right we are going to fly to Krabi in January and stay in Ao Nang for 2 nights then move to Koh Lanta and stay there 6 nights from here we can do day trips to the other places.. I have a feeling we will be exhausted and just want a nice beach(hopefully not too busy) to relax on by the time we reach this leg of our trip..

#4 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 16:15

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Casey gave you a great lead. It's one of the best islands in the area and one of the least visited.

#5 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 20:13

• Timetotrave-
    l12

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Yes,after hours of research online I'm still no further forward with my plans! Ko Jum is a strong contender, that website looks fantastic...and accomodation looks great too... we should still be able to do day trips from it too yeah? If we were to base ourselves here from 17th -23rd Jan do you think thats too long..

#6 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 04:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.