Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

looking for ppl to travel with for safety in numbers currently staying in pattaya. want out soon:-)

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

#1 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 10:02

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Safety in numbers? I have criss-crossed Issan alone for years - never a problem. What are you worried about?

#2 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 12:44

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

its not so much im worried just want some traveling pals.... was just thinking about getting bus to bankok the hitting khaosan road to see if i can find some ppl to travel with, im a bit dun in on my own now and could do with some interaction with similar ppl. pattaya is not really what i had pictured thailand to be, im ready to leave in about two weeks and want to meet some like minded mad ppl to travel with.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 13:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Unless you happen to be a luncatic - Khao San Road isn't where I'd be going to find "like minded company".

#4 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 13:03

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

why?? is it that bad like?? i just want to go somewhere where the will be lots of ppl doing the whole traveling/backpacking thing. its my first time out here and im here till feb if i can last that long. where would you recomend going were i will meet ppl wanting to do similar to me.. which is travel.

#5 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 13:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, first of all I would recommend travelling alone. That way you go where you want, when you want. You do what you want, when you want. At each destination you will meet people - either expats, other tourists, or indigenous. You will only want for company if you desire solitude. Meeting people in Thailand is painfully easy. I don't know a lot about you here. Your likes and dislikes, age, sex, and so forth. So tough to give sound advice on where to go.

As for KSR - yeah, it's that bad. I call it freak show central.

#6 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 13:35

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

On the road you don't really need to make an effort to meet people, it just happens. It's like if you actively look for good company you won't find it, it's more like the company finds you. Really. I've never looked for company while traveling in Asia (always solo) but have made new friends on a daily basis, from all over the world. I mean literally every day, except perhaps if I'm just chilling on a beach. You meet them in hostels, coffee shops, on buses, etc. Maybe go to the Krabi area and check out those islands, lots of youngish backpackers there.

Travelers are like magnets to each other and it's super easy to get to know people generally. But again if you're just chilling on a beach or whatever then it can be more difficult, especially in a super crowded and super disgusting place like Pattaya. Get up and move!

Personally I think KSR is alright. I met some good people there last time, sober and clean. Just stay open.

#7 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 14:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"especially in a super crowded and super disgusting place like Pattaya."

You're kidding right? Meeting someone for conversation in Pattaya is a five minute process. There are people from everywhere, everywhere. Place is loaded with bars full of different kinds of people many of whom are looking for a conversation. I mean, like KSR (but for different reasons) it too is freak show central... but it ain't hard to meet people there.

#8 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 15:33

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

One more thing man. If you don't like Thailand you don't like Thailand. Seriously. Accept that. Nothing's more liberating for a traveler than realizing it's OK to hate a place everyone else loves. Just leave if you really don't like it. A lot of people don't like Thailand (contrary to popular belief). The reason you have high expectations is because most people who post about Thailand online are people who absolutely love it (which makes sense).

You can get cheap tickets with AirAsia to pretty much anywhere in Asia. Don't force yourself to stay in Thailand til Feb if you don't like it. That's not healthy and you'll probably never wanna travel again if you do.

Often times the places you end up loving the most are the places you least expected. Just like with women...

#9 Posted: 14/10/2012 - 03:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Why don't you head over to Trat and chill out for a while? See how you like a more normal place.

#10 Posted: 14/10/2012 - 06:25

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I like travelling by myself too, but sometimes it is fun to meet up with other people. If you wanted to try a low-key place that is representative of Thailand but still has some backpacker-friendly infrastructure, you won't do better than Trat as MADMAC suggested. It gets largely bypassed now as people are on their way to Koh Chang, but still has good backpacker places to stay, eat, etc.

For something similar but a bit busier, try Nong Khai, in northeast Thailand on the Mekong River and across from Vientiane, Laos. It also gets largely bypassed by folks heading to Laos, but still has a great backpacker/expat vibe and also gets visited by Thai tourists.

If you really wanted to hang with other 20-something western backpackers, head to Krabi like waytogo suggests. Other great options include Chiang Mai and Koh Samui. You can't help meeting up with new people there. Day tours are also a great way to meet folks. You are out together all day and can't help but start talking with people.

Ayutthaya and particularly Sukhothai are good spots to visit and meet people too. Or you could try Kanachanaburi or even the relatively nearby Koh Samet, which has a decent mix of western backpackers and Thai tourists, particularly on the weekend. Cheers.

#11 Posted: 14/10/2012 - 12:50

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

im currently in koh tao and loving it, as you all said just do it and the rest will fall in to place... thanks to you all for your msgs! i have had a bit of a bad first month but you have all inspired me and things are getting better everyday cheers ppl

#12 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 08:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Beardy, if you come out to Mukdahan drop me a line. I'll buy you a beer and show you around.

#13 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 09:29

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    'freak show central
    '
    I can't stop laughing. Yeh, that about sums up KSR

'Meeting someone for conversation in Pattaya is a five minute process'
    You mean it took you that long!

'Hello, What you name? You very hansum man.You buy me lady drink'
    Isn't that how it usually goes?

#14 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 09:44

• littletimmy

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

Any man, who in Pattaya, is put of Thailand .. well .. must not be a man.

#15 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 12:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

not a fair comment at all littletimmy. there are lots of men who don't enjoy that style of entertainment. personally, i like pattaya, but for the food and cheap digs, not for the other stuff.

#16 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 19:39

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

cheers madmac apprieciate that!! and as you were told "littletimmy" you cant really comment on how much of a man i am when you dont know me or my situation.... i came traveling with my "own" woman from england and after a month the **** hit the fan i was left on my own in a country i didnt know..... the lonliest feeling in my life!! i have no desire to have my money taken from me by a thai prostitute and dont think that makes me any less of man that does!!!! you enjoy your **** and i will enjoy mine.madmac if your on facebook hit me up @ morgan beardyman gold and that goes for anyone else on here with positive toughts and comments... peace out and happy travels to you all.

#17 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 22:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

'Hello, What you name? You very hansum man.You buy me lady drink'
    Isn't that how it usually goes?

It's one way. I never go to Pattaya. Too over the top for my tastes. But on the rare occassion when something brings me there, I socialize at Scandanavia club. Sayadian, can you guess why?

#18 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 02:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Any man, who in Pattaya, is put of Thailand .. well .. must not be a man."

Anyone who would write this on a mesage board to someone he doesn't know doesn't have any balls.

If there's one thing I can't stand in this world it's the sanctimonious beatnik. Worse than any sex tourist born.

#19 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 02:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"i came traveling with my "own" woman from england and after a month the **** hit the fan i was left on my own in a country i didnt know..... the lonliest feeling in my life!!"

Bringing a woman to Thailand is like bringing a tree to the forrest. Finding a replacement won't be difficult my man. Not out here. No worries.

#20 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 02:56

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

haha your a funny dude mac.. cheers!!! i dont understamd why the scandinavian club?? maybe im just a little thick!?!?! and your comments about the woman situation and towards dodos like littlecocktimmy make me smile.. cheers man!!

#21 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 03:48

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

ahhh!! the penny drops.......

#22 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 06:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Beardy you're new here. Sayadian will get it.

#23 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 08:23

• littletimmy

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

A touchy bunch arn't you. Once you've put your dummy back in enjoy the rest of your trip x

#24 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 10:28

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

"and your comments ... towards dodos like littlecocktimmy make me smile."

equally uncool.

#25 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 21:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exacto - Timmy drew first blood man. He deserved to be bashed.

#26 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 01:01

• beardyman19-

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

i came on here to make friends, not upset ppl or be upset by ppl. simple as that. thanks to those that help see ya later to those that dont! mac i appreciate your comments and thankyou.. mukdahan is defo on my hit list to see now!!

#27 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 01:27

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"Exacto - Timmy drew first blood man. He deserved to be bashed."

And the further descent of TF into a school playground continues.

Btw MADMAC, I thought you were cutting back on your posts. Seems like you've up the ante lately if anything.

#28 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 03:15

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

littletommy, has it ever occured to you or any of your alcoholic backpacker buddies that real men don't have to pay for sex?

#29 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 03:32

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Touche waytogo. I doff my electronic cap to you.

#30 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 04:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

China
    Ahhh I've free time lately. Not much mind you. But enough to whip out a sword and cut off the head of the sanctimonious. There's always time for that.

#31 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 08:22

• littletimmy

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

drew first blood? you guys play too much world of warcraft. if your offended by some guy on the internet. all i can say is lol chin up guys theres a big wide world out there xx

#32 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 15:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

World of Warcraft. Not my game. I prefer Close Combat 5.

"theres a big wide world out there"

I think we're aware of that.

#33 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 06:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

waytogo
    'real men don't have to pay for sex'
    Clearly you don't know much about S.E.Asian men
    It's like saying real men don't drink. In Cambodia it's alcohol then off to the Karaoke for a bit of fun.
    To a Cambodian male going to a knocking shop is like having a beer or a cigarette.

#34 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 12:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

About 90% statistically of all Thai men use prostitutes at some point in their lives.

#35 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 13:22

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

and the other 10% are ladyboys.

#36 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 14:28

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

bahahahaha

-

In "freak show central" you can start a conversation for five minutes, and it's free

#37 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 23:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"In "freak show central" you can start a conversation for five minutes, and it's free"

You can do that in Pattaya too - as long as it's not a working girl. There are tons of people there who are on vacation and you can strike up a conversation with any of them.

#38 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 01:11

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Your right, the first time I went there with my then 19 year old son. He's a good looking guy, half Thai but tall and strong.The girls in the bars were literally swooning over him.He had a great time and didn't spend a penny. We ended up with a bunch of ex-marines.Great old guys who had fought in Vietnam re-badged as Australians.
    I still think Pattaya is OTT though. I'd rather karaoke in Surin.

#39 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 03:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Pattaya is like Nana on steroids. But that doesn't mean everyone there is somehow a low life. Or even most people. "Travellers" like to pretend they're above "those kind of people" and talk about them in condescending tone often. Pattaya is a place of extremes, but that doesn't mean it's inherently a bad place. It ain't my place - but I prefer it to KSR, which I despise.

#40 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 04:41

• littletimmy

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

"If there's one thing I can't stand in this world it's the sanctimonious beatnik. Worse than any sex tourist born."

"But that doesn't mean everyone there is somehow a low life. Or even most people. "Travellers" like to pretend they're above "those kind of people" and talk about them in condescending tone often."

I think you need to have a look at what side of the fence you sit on. As your posts are contradict each other considerably.

#41 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 09:41

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

-'Any man, who in Pattaya, is put of Thailand .. well .. must not be a man.'
    -'A touchy bunch arn't you. Once you've put your dummy back in enjoy the rest of your trip'
    -'drew first blood? you guys play too much world of warcraft. if your offended by some guy on the internet. all i can say is lol chin up guys theres a big wide world out there'

That's the sum total of your posts on this subject. You're trolling, man.

For what it's worth Madmac is pretty consistent in his views. although he does often manage to sidetrack to Somalia sometimes. :-)

#42 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 15:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Little Timmy, you should re-read the above. They are completely consistent.

I should have said "some travellers" however, as lots of cultural tourists are perfectly decent, non-judgemental people.

#43 Posted: 23/10/2012 - 00:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.