Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Backpacking Daily Budget

• GregRoy

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

Hello,

Had a look through previous posts but can't seem to find one on daily budget for backpacking in Thailand. If I've missed a couple post the link and i'll have a read.

Would like a rough idea of how much Spending money I will need daily/weekly. Will be staying in cheap accommodation Hostels & Bungalows, As for transport will be using the Trains & Buses to keep costs down.

Rough plan at the Moment but am planning on visiting Bangkok, Chang Mai/Chang Rai, Pai, Krabi province, Phuket, Ko Samui & Phi Phi islands as the backbone of my trip and will be returning to Bangkok for onward flight to Australia.

What I want to know is how much should I put aside for Accommodation, Transport & Money for general spending?

Many Thanks,

Greg

#1 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 08:36

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

My avg. budget is $30 cdn a day, but if you go to places like Phuket,Ko Samui & Phi Phi count on spending more. The less you move the less it will cost you. My 3 month trip Jan- March to SEA in 2012 costs $5000, plane included. Returning in Jan. 2013, expect ing to spend a little more on my flight unfortunately.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 21:04

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Totally depends on what you plan on doing. A budget room will cost you 200-500 baht a night, food maybe a few hundred, depends on what you like to eat and how much obviously. You can easily live on less than a thousand a day (excluding travel).

#3 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 14:11

• GregRoy

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

Cheers for the responses. Will hopefully have saved more money to cover me for more than 1000 Baht a day. Just needed a rough idea so that I know how much to budget for. Any money left over from Thailand can be added to my budget for Australia!

Cheers, Greg

#4 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 16:02

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Avoid cabs in the city if you wanna save a lot of money. Avoid Starbucks too.

Travel: Getting from Bangkok to say Phi Phi will cost you 700-1000 baht with a travel agency @ Khao San Road. That includes the ferry and so on. Getting around the islands, a few hundred maybe.

If you're interested in trains, just choose your route here and check the fare: http://www.railway.co.th/home/Default.asp?lenguage=Eng

Remember that alcohol can eat up your budget if you're not careful. It's true that booze is cheap in Thailand but drinking every day is still a major expense for a budget traveler.

Actually, you can probably eat for less than "a few hundred" when I think about it. I just happen to spend a lot on food because I don't like the standard street diet of just rice and curries/noodles and fried meat & veg, but a lot of people love it so...

Massage costs (cheaper in smaller cities and on islands I guess): http://www.chaidee.com/khaosan_en/massage_menu.html

As for hostels, although I said 200-500 you're basically likely to end up spending around 350-600 or so in most places you mentioned. You CAN find dirt cheap rooms (100 baht and up) but it can be difficult and not worth it if you want at least SOME comfort. I just booked a KSR room for my next short stopover in Bangkok and I payed 350 for an AC room in a good location (PM me if you're looking to book a room for your first night!).

#5 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 23:41

• GregRoy

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

Thanks very much for the Detailed response very helpful! Have a very minimum I'm going to take to Thailand but as I don't leave till mid March hoping to have saved more than enough.

Cheers for the Link to the Thai railway as atleast I can get a rough idea as to the cost of the majority of travel expenses.

Will be in touch about booking a room :) Can't wait!

Greg

#6 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 02:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Daily Budget in South East Asia ... By katieflorence on 23 Oct 2009 3 7458 27 Oct 2009
Tentative 3.5 week itinerary - need help guesstimating a daily budget ... By FreeSombrero on 24 Sep 2013 6 899 24 Sep 2013
Thailand daily/monthly budget for backpacker with private rooms. ... By crazyblondechick on 23 Jul 2011 9 5943 26 Jul 2011