Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bored with Thailand

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

It's become same same. The only thing that draws me back is cheap prices.

#1 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 10:01

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Ok. Thank you.

#2 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 10:42

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Reasons? I feel the same way sometimes but that's because over the years I think I've been everywhere and it's become to Westernised or Western oriented-take your pick.There are other reasons but I can't explain it on here.Also damn expensive to go to the beach now.Go to Vietnam much better beaches and your money goes further.

#3 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 10:59

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm bored with China - I think it gets that way if you live somewhere, life stops being an adventure and "starts getting real". Sorry, lame joke. Still, at least I have a job, more than I can say for 8% of the people in Michigan and 25% of those in Spain. Shanghai really isn't cheap at all so I usually take my vacations in SE Asia, end up spending about the same amount of money on vacation as I would just staying in Shanghai - but that includes accommodation and travel expenses (sometimes even the airline tickets if I go somewhere as cheap as say Laos).

I agree with the above that money goes further in Vietnam than it does in Thailand, especially if you 're after beer. Same goes for Indonesia over Thailand - save that the beer isn't that cheap - but the beaches seem a bit more relaxed. Plenty of great places to check out near Thailand that offer there only flavors of culture and space.

#4 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 18:08

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Then I guess you know just a few places in Thailand and don't know where to go then. Here have many nice places to visit but yeah just not much real traveller knows.

#5 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 22:14

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Maybe stop expecting a geographical location to bring you happiness.

#6 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 01:08

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Caseyprich

'Shanghai really isn't cheap at all'

Sorry to pick up on just that point but I planned on going to Siberia via China. Flight with AirAsia to Beijing-Train toHarbin then bus to Vladivostok. I thought it would be the cheap option as flights from Phnom Penh or Bangkok are expensive to Vladivostok.
    Is all of China expensive or just big cities like Shanghai?

#7 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 04:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well I've lived here five and a half years and I'm not bored with it yet. I like it here. I don't like beaches though... so that element is not important to me. But if you want a fantastic beach at cheap prices - Tiwi beach, just south of Mombassa. Super cheap, fantastic beach with big breakers, warm water, white sand and no people. Maybe 50 on a three kilomter stretch. Beach side Bungalow on cliff overlooking the ocean - ten bucks. Of course, there are some security issues. But hey, you can't have everything.

#8 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 04:37

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Don't get me wrong - you can still get 12 RMB noodles (2$) but when you're living an expat lifestyle that starts to slide away and you find yourself spending on average 50 RMB per meal. Shanghai is probably the most expensive city on the mainland though - with Beijing in at second. If you want to drink cheap local beer for you can, just not at any bar, slip into a restaurant and drink with dinner. That or grab a few bottles to take to the street food with you - if you are in the part of town where they haven't cleared all the street food out. I think once you make your way north of Beijing you'd find things get dramatically cheaper.

#9 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 08:03

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Funny, after living in Thailand for a year I was just thinking to myself while walking down a typical Bangkok street, "Is it possible to get bored of this place?"

Exhausted from it, yes, but bored, not yet - that's just me.

#10 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 08:18

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac:
    Sounds great but.
    'Of course, there are some security issues.'
    Is that your dry sense of humour?
    Pattani and Naratiwat have got great beaches too; not to mention Songklha but there are security issues too.
    I never did get the desire to be beheaded in an orange boiler suit.Not my style.

Caseyprich:
    Thanks for the info.

Dluek:
    I don't think you can get bored with Bangkok you just die of toxic poisoning before that's possible.

#11 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 08:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"Go to Vietnam much better beaches and your money goes further."

I doubt that. It's just sand and water and Thailand has some great beaches like Phra Nang and Koh Hong. I've done the whole beaches thing many times and live near beaches so visiting Vietnam beaches isn't going to do it for me.

I need something different.

Is Umphang really good?

#12 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 12:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You must have some idea? Or people can't advise you.

#13 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 13:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.