Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

lost hidden beach in island

• fotome

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2012

Some 12 years ago I was in Thailand travelling in the Krabyarea and made my way south stumbling upon a small crabbing village with one backpackerplace with a few beach huts on stilts. Thelocal business seemed to be processing the crabs in a small hut in thevillage. The owner of the accommodationran boat trips to an island that had a hidden beach. At low tide you had toswim into a cave, locate the tune and swim in total darkness for, say 100 meterto get to the beach, when I made this trip it was with only me and the guide,ye so sad. I am planning to go back this November with my partner.
    My question is does anyone know of this island?

#1 Posted: 20/10/2012 - 12:47

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hmm, sounds a lot like Emerald Cove on Ko Muk from the description. That would be a fairly long trip from Krabi, but it is feasible.

No matter where you're heading in that area, expect things to be a lot less "unspoilt" than they were 12 years ago. There's been A LOT of development since then. But there are islands down there that are still very low key.

Good luck

#2 Posted: 20/10/2012 - 21:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Fotome
    Did you meet Leornardo DiCaprio?
    :-)

#3 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 08:18

• fotome

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2012

Hi and thanks for getting back to me, I think you might beright, the name and description sound familiar. My experience looking back hadaspecks of being scared and elated at the same time. I left the crabbing villagewith the owners 2 sons and a lady who was being dropped off at another island,we all arrived at Ko Muk after a 30 min boat ride, stopped just out side thecave, one of the young guys, whose English wasn’t too good, dived in I followedhim into the cave and he disappeared through a hole, I followed him hopping thatI was in the same tunnel, I hade never been in such darkness, could hear thesound of splashing water so new I had taken the correct tunnel. The cave is not a strait hole it has maybe 2bends so you cannot see the end, I will stress again we were in total darkness,I was say 4 meters behind him as he periodically said OK, then he said see thelight, I couldn’t see any light and for a moment panicked not realising that hewould see the light at the end of the tunnel before me. Walking on this isolatedbeach left me mesmerised. The returnswim was ok as I new what to expect. Fromthere we dropped the lady off at a nearby island were we moored say 50 meters offthe shore.I snorkelled and was amazed at the fish I saw it was like swimming inparadise. Looking forward to going back in Jan 2013. Ill let you know how I geton.
    Thomas
    PS I didn’t meet any stars on this trip

#4 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 05:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The first time I went into the Emerald cave was similar except my 2 Canadian boat companions and I didn't have the boat guy - I don't think he could swim, and he certainly didn't have a light. So we swam into the cave until it became pitch black, trod water for a few minutes while I cracked Aussie shark/crocodile jokes until we saw the torch light of a guided group coming out, swam to meet the group, trod water once they passed, did the same with other groups until we reached the cave.
    Which was worth it. I have been in there when a big group of Thais floated an old lady about 90 in on an inflatable mattress. Everyone cheered.

#5 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 00:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
koh mak-another island lost ... By wolfman on 24 Mar 2007 0 1197 24 Mar 2007
Kradan Beach resort or Paradise Lost? ... By Bigsterrules on 19 Sep 2009 13 4505 25 Nov 2010