Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Commute options to reach Bangrak,bangkok

• ashagl

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

I will be arriving at Don Muang Airport at 4 AM & would probably be out by 5.30 am

We need to reach Thanon Nares, Bangrak which is very close to BTS Chong Nonsi....what are my options to reach Bangrak from airport either by MRT or Bus or BTS....taxi is the last option, why spend more?

Similarly, I have a train to board in the evening from Hua Lampong....what would be convinient with laugauge to reach railway station from Bangrak...?

Thirdly, what commute options do i have to reach Bangrak from south bus terminal upon return.......???

#1 Posted: 23/10/2012 - 23:23

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

It is possible to go to the Don Muang train station and hop on a train to Hua Lamphong train station. Be prepared to wait for a train, perhaps up to an hour. And the train is slow. Personally, I'd probably just take a cab. I am not familiar with the bus options.

Hua Lamphong is in the Pathum Wan district, and the station is practically at the border of Pathum Wan District and Bangrak District. So from the train station it is a short walk, or a short taxi/tuktuk ride to Bangrak.

#2 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 01:16

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

As goonistik says, the slow train from Don Muang rail station to Hualamphong is one option. You'd have to cross the main road from the airport to get there, which would be somewhat of a pain. Chong Nonsi is at least a 3 km walk from Hualamphong, but you can hop on the MRT (subway) at Hualamphong, switch to BTS (sky train) at Silom MRT station -- you'd be switching to Sala Daeng BTS station -- from where Chong Nonsi is one stop away.

Local buses and minivans also go from Don Muang airport to Morchit BTS station / Chatuchak MRT area - local regular buses are #510, #39 and #29 (there are others but we can't remember them now). These start at 4:00 AM, would be dirt cheap, and depart from the main road in front of the airport. Minivans also go to Victory Monument from Don Muang airport for around 20 baht per person. You can catch the sky train from either Morchit or Victory Monument and take that down to Siam station, then change to the Silom line to get to Chong Nonsi.

Personally though, I'd just hop in a taxi direct from the airport to Morchit BTS station (less than 80 baht at that hour when there's little traffic), then take the sky train as explained above. However, the sky train starts running at 6:00 AM so you might have to wait around a bit. Taxi all the way to Chong Nonsi from Don Muang would be somewhere around 250 baht I reckon.

And then, from Chong Nonsi area to Hualamphong you can just reverse what's explained in 1st paragraph - take the sky train one stop to Sala Daeng station, switch to MRT at Silom station and Hualamphong is 2 stops away. I assume your luggage isn't so much that taxi is the only option, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about the other ways to go (?).

And then, Southern bus station is actually more to the northwest of the city... I'm sure there are local buses running from there to, say, Wang Lang pier where you could catch the Chao Phraya Express boat down to Sathorn pier and switch to the sky train at Saphan Taksin station, but I've never done it. Personally I'd take a taxi to Wongwian Yai BTS station and take the sky train straight into Bangrak/Sathorn from there.

#3 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 04:04

• ashagl

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

As advised by Dluek, i would get into a cab from Southern bus terminal to Wongwian Yai BTS & than in a BTS to Chong Nonsi....but really wondering how far is the bus terminal from Wongwian Yai BTS? What does it cost in a cab to reach there?

Does it really make a sense of changing from the cab to BTS at Wongwian Yai to reach Chong Nonsi? I mean is it quiet a distance ??

I still try to figure out, if there is a bus from southern bus terminal to Chong nonsi?

About reaching Hualamphong from Chong Nonsi ( Bangrak ) I thinks its around 3 kms & would not cost more than 35~40 bhat in cab, right??

About to & fro from Don Muang to Bangrak / Chong Nonsi, how far is Don Muang & Mo Chit? Is it better to take a BTS from Mo Chit OR from Victory Monument??? confused??

#4 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 06:33

• ashagl

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

in continuation...i found the following information for travel options from Don Muang Airport....since I am cluess about the area...could anyone help me reaching Don Muang to Bangrak (nr. Chong Nonsi BTS) using public transport ( taxi excluded)

Does the following info has any bus between Don Muang to Bangrak (nr. Chong nonsi BTS)??

City Buses
    Routes
    4 Don Muang Airport - Silom Rd.
    24 hour service
    10 Airport - Victory Monument - Southern Region Bus Terminal*
    Runs 04.00 a.m. - 09.50p.m.
    13 Don Muang Airport - Sukhumvit Rd. - Eastern Region Bus Terminal*
    Runs 05.00 a.m. - 11.00 p.m.
    29 Don Muang Airport - Victory Monument - Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lampong)**
    24 hour service.
    59 Don Muang Airport - The Emerald Buddha Temple (Sanam Luang/Khao San Road)
    24 hour service.
    95 Don Muang Airport - Ram-intra Rd.-Ram Khamhang Rd
    Runs 04.00 a.m. - 10.00 p.m..
    555 Don Muang Airport - Suvarnabhumi Airport*
    Runs 04.00 a.m. - 11.00 p.m..

* - Air-conditioned service
    ** - Both air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned buses service this route

Trains
    Commuter trains terminate at Bangkok Railway Station Hua Lamphong where the MRT can be accessed.

Trains stop at Don Muang Airport - Khan Kheha Komo 19 - Lak Si - Thung Song Hong - Bang Khen - Nikhom Rotfai Komo 11 - Bang Sue Junction - Samsen Railway Station - Ramathibodi - Yommarat - Bangkok Railway Station Hua Lamphong.

Operating Hours
    The frequency of departures is around one train per hour with exceptions stated below.
    Delays are frequent.
    From Bangkok Airport Don Muang to Bangkok Railway Station Hua Lamphong
    During weekdays trains run between 02.09 a.m. - 08.08 p.m. with a break during the afternoon between 02.11 p.m. - 05.02 p.m.

During weekends there is in addition also a break in the morning between 06.09 a.m. - 08.01 a.m.
    From Bangkok Railway Station Hua Lamphong to Bangkok Airport Don Muang
    During weekdays trains run between 04.20 a.m. - 11.40 p.m.

During weekends trains start running at 06.40 a.m. with a 4h 30m break in the afternoon. There is one train departing Hua Lamphong 03.20 p.m. with the next train at 07.50 p.m.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 07:06

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Ashagi,

I can't fin a Thanon Nares in google maps. The closest thing I can find is Naret. Assuming your destination is Naret, the closest mass transit terminal is the Sam Yan Metro (subway) station. Sam Yan is about 700 meters away and that is a lot closer than Chong Nonsi BTS station. If that assumption is right, it would be better to take the subway to get to Bangrak.

The closest subway stations to Don Muang are Chatuchak park and Phahon Yothin. so make your way to the subway and get off at Sam Yan.

If you are staying around Naret, it is no problem to just get a tuktuk or a taxi to Hua Lamphong. I would not bother taking the BTS. Or you can just walk to Sam Yan station and get off at Hua Lamphong.

http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/web/imgcontent/Image/Routemap-110510.jpg

#6 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 18:20

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#6:
    in Thai language, 'S' becomes 'T' when used as a final consonant (& some vowels are not written). so it's spelt as 'Nres' in Thai alphabet but pronounced as 'Naret'.

don't know which part of Nares/Naret Rd #1 is heading for, but as you said Sam Yan MRT station is closer than Chong Nonsi BTS station. plus no need to change lines if travelling by MRT, unlike for BTS where #1 will have to change at Siam station.

#7 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 20:04

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

ashagi-what you found is RUBBISH-dates from the last century. THEN there were separate nrs for the normal-fan and AC-buses. What WAS once bus PA(prab akhaat) 4 is now 504. AC13 has stopped running around 2002.
    Citybus 149 runs from ACROSS the road from Sai Thai (new terminal) -in likely more as 1 hr- via Thonburi and then the bridge along Satorn-for 8 bt. Good luck for it-it has old white open air buses. Ends at Klong Toey.
    Bus 39 does NOT serve DMK-thats the 29,59,510 and many more-locals to suburbia, and the 555 to Swampy.
    Bus 29-most (ASK_you have a mouth and I really do not see any reason why anxious visitors need to know all seeing how friendly all Thai are always described here) runs 24 hrs and ends via the Vict. Monument at Hualampong, via MBK-Ram IV.

#8 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 04:58

• rashers

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

Erm... was wondering, anybody know approx how long it takes the 29 bus to get from Hua Lamphong to Don Muang? .. just trying to figure out how much time to leave for a 15:40 flight and so far only found routes, no times.

#9 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 18:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.