Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok must eat & night club visit

• ashagl

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

I know there is lot of info on night life, clubs, restaurant in Bangkok on this forum....but honestly just have two days left before flying...so will appreciate some quick info.

Will be there in bangkok for about 1 night.....will be staying in Bangrak Area....

interested in good restaurant prerabably vegetarian meal ( chicken & fish are fine) ...not very expensive....no street food.... not interested in any indian restaurant...

looking at 3 different meals in 3 different restaurants.....which are the must visit / must try in bangkok nr. bangrak / khao san road, etc

some recomended night club that i can go with my wife....do women (with thier boyfriend / husband) also goto strip clubs in thailand, as in US or UK? if yes...which ones are those?

#1 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 07:14

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I can't help you on the restaraunts - not my neck of the woods.

Generally speaking, anyone can go to any of the clubs here. But Thailand does not have (to my knowledge) "strip clubs" as you would understand them in the US / European context. The closest thing would be clubs like "The Pimp", which are high end and expensive. But you would be welcome to go if you wanted to.

#2 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 12:34

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

For restaurants, you might want to try Sara Jane's. Look it up - it has a good write-up and directions on tripadvisor. It is in the Sathorn area and has excellent Isan food, including great bbq chicken (kai yang), papaya salad (somtam), and sticky rice (khao niow). Another restaurant worth a look is Cabbages and Condoms on Sukhumvit Soi 12. It has both indoor seating and outdoor seating in a garden area with not-too-expensive Thai food and often features live traditional Thai entertainment.

Couples as well as single women do go to the strip clubs. If you are curious, you might try the Soi Cowboy area, which I always thought was more couples friendly. It is right off Sukhumvit Soi 21 (Soi Asoke) near a BTS and subway station and more or less walking distance from Cabbages and Condoms, if you wind up in that area. Having said that, it has been a few years since I went to Soi Cowboy, so my information may be dated now.

Tilapia has information on a few excellent and inexpensive restaurants in the Rattanakosin area not far from KSR. Hopefully he'll get a moment to mention those too. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 15:09

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Take MRT to Huai Khwang (Ratchadaphisek road) , there are many
    night life, clubs, restaurants in Soi 4, 8, 14 ,18.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 21:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Huai Khwang, while as naughty as the best of 'em, is very Thai. Language could start to be an issue there if ahsagl is short on Thai language skills.

#5 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 05:14

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I think MADMAC is right about those places along Rachadaphisek. They tend to be for locals and I'm not sure others would be all that welcome, good Thai language skills or not.

#6 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 12:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exacto - I don't think you'd have a problem being unwelcome. Perhaps not super friendly, like in some places. But I don't think you'd get hassled. Almost everywhere I go for anything is "for locals", since that's all we've got out here. And I've never been unwelcome anywhere. I've been to that neighborhood and I didn't have any problems at all. BUT, English was not spoken a lot there. I had to use my Thai (as I do out here).

#7 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 13:25

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Fair enough. Maybe I should have said "not the target clientele" instead.

I've been greeted at the door lots of times by club staff or had it explained to me by cab drivers or Thai friends that this club is for Japanese or that club is for locals only or another club is exclusive because the phuu dii who go there don't like strangers about. Then they cheerfully suggest a place that might be more enjoyable for my demographic. No worries. It's not a Rosa Parks moment - it's a fun night out on the town, and I'm usually happier going to places where I am openly welcome. That's why I suggested spots like Soi Cowboy, if that is the experience the OP seeks, since I've taken western dates there easily. Cheers.

#8 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 15:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The Cowboy doesn't do it for me. Really, in the erotic club department, only the high end places like I suggested are something I think a woman who doesn't have a strong lesbian bent would find entertaining. Nana is also over the top. And I really dislike Patpong. That covers BKKs foreigner locations. Also, while I am not trying to be too judgemental, some of the patrons of Soi Cowboy are, well, maybe not the most suave in the world. The Cowboy is a down and dirty kind of place, whereas something like The Pimp has some class to it. On the other hand, we are talking a huge difference in cash and the OP did not mention how much he wants to spend.

#9 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 23:56

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

A classy joint called 'The Pimp.'
    That's got to be a first.

#10 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 07:50

• Advertisement

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

I would highly recommend Asiatique Riverside Market as a great place for Food and live music. it is on the expensive side of Thailand but still cheap as far as uk prices and also to me the Skybar at Lebua is a must but check out dress code before going or you may be turned away..

#11 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 08:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.