Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Monk Bowl Alley/Monk Bowl Village

• owsleybeck

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone knows where this is in Bangkok and if anyone can give me directions (street names) on how to get here? Is it easy to find? Will Taxi Drivers know the place? Is it near KS rd? and can you buy these bowls? Please! Please let me know!

#1 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 08:12

• Advertisement

• bkkbill

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2007

Yes it is near KS road hope this will help.
    http://thailandforvisitors.com/central/bangkok/gold-tour.html

#2 Posted: 20/5/2007 - 12:34

• scomoore1

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

Yes, I've been to the 'monk's bowl alley' a couple of times. A very pleasant little alley near the Golden Mount.

There are at least two sets of artisans in the alley who make and sell the bowls. They seem to not get along with each other and compete for the attention of the tourist/prospective buyer. We arrived one morning and bought a bowl from one man, after getting a brief explanation of how the bowls are crafted. An English couple who tagged along with us bought a smaller 'souvenir-sized' bowl from the other artisans (whose shops were close to the mouth of the alley and whose sell was much softer). When he got wind of the latter transaction, monk's-bowl artisan #1 began shreiking and fulminating at his neighbor (presumably because he felt he had exclusive rights to sell bowls to the whole group of us) in the most uncharacteristic way possible for a Thai.

Please be mindful of the local turmoil, although there isn't anything to do about it if you want to buy what you want to buy.

#3 Posted: 3/6/2007 - 02:41

• besok

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2007

I've not heard of these things. Are the bowls pretty? would they make a good gift? Thankyou

#4 Posted: 4/6/2007 - 23:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beware of the Chiang Mai pervert monk ... By B0n0m on 31 Mar 2013 15 4530 3 Apr 2013
Watching the Super Bowl on Ko Yao Noi ... By daydreamfarmer on 21 Jan 2014 13 517 23 Jan 2014
Super Bowl Sunday in Thailand ... By svwelch on 15 Jan 2012 1 685 15 Jan 2012