18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

#2 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 19:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

There is a lot of hyperbole in the statements though. 15 million tourists come here, and every incident gets press. How many rapes are there per million people in Britain? The Thai judicial system isn't the same as ours and doesn't have the same values. But everyone knows that. If the these guys are not happy with the outcome, then they have to learn to do things the Thai way and hire someone to kill the perps. It's big boy rules over here.

#3 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 23:39

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    that was my point.The press seem to enjoy savaging Thailand.That said there's another post on here which refers to gangs in Phuket. Sounds like its become a nasty place.

Stories like this don't help Thailand's image and will cause a lot of cancellations and changed destination plans. Not so much by backpackers but by the high end of the tourist market.These people were staying in a luxury resort.
    Cambodia gets its fair show of violence but it's never reported. I wonder if it's because Thailand is thought of as civilised while Cambodia is seen as the 'Wild West.'

Where do I find a Thai hitman?

#4 Posted: 28/10/2012 - 02:37

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The other story is just a good old-fashioned OD. Hardly newsworthy.

#5 Posted: 28/10/2012 - 02:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Not so much by backpackers but by the high end of the tourist market.These people were staying in a luxury resort."

Then I would imagine that the high end resorts will sort the problem out. They can get the cops to do that for a nominal fee. It will otherwise, as you said, impact on their business.

"Where do I find a Thai hitman?"

I bet I could if I needed to. I have a few friends who live on the dark side.

#6 Posted: 28/10/2012 - 05:48

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Stories like these will generate more frantic parents than cancellations, I think.

Wonder if the number of foreigners dying in Thailand is proportional with the increase in the number of visitors? Possibly. However, I've noticed that the majority of the deaths and attacks, especially in Hua Hin and Phuket, are related to foreigners residing in the country and getting involved in the real estate/development feeding frenzy that's going on. Not surprising, I suppose.

#7 Posted: 28/10/2012 - 09:16

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

And then there's this... http://www.pattaya103.com/bloodbath-in-soi-lk-metro-after-argument-about-a-girl/ - Frantic parents, yeah and girls afraid of traveling alone. But this article is regarding locals.

#8 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 01:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

altmtl - As I am sure you're aware, violence in Thailand is not unusual. Rather common place.

#9 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 07:31

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I've never experienced violence anywhere in SEA, guess I've just been lucky. It seems that Pattaya & Phuket is where all the **** happens - lol

#10 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 11:12

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

In the five years I have lived here four people on my street have been shot and killed. Thais are incredibly violent.

#11 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 12:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.