Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Prioritizing destinations??

• Dayyanum

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2012

Hey all,

I've asked a few questions about my trip to Cambodia/Thailand this November, and I can tell some of you are getting annoyed with me, but this is my best resource (and my first solo trip) so ask away I shall :) I'll try to make it succinct.

I have 25 days for Thailand, including travel. My initial plan was this order:

Bangkok - 5 days
    Lop Buri - 1 day
    Sukhothai /Si Satchanalai - 2 days
    Chiang Mai - 6 days
    MHS Loop - 7 days
    Krabi - 4 days (this is where I'm flying out from)

I should say that I'm trying to get a good amount of variety, but that the ancient ruins of Thailand are NOT a major focus. I would love to see them, but they're not the reason I'm going. Same for Lop Buri. I actually had planned on going to the monkey festival, got rabies shots and everything...but realized recently that a solid visit of Chiang Mai and a more relaxed MHS loop trip mattered more.

I can shorten my stay a bit in Bangkok, as I know I won't come close to seeing it all. However, I do NOT want to rush the ride through the MHS loop, especially if I have to rush to get down to Krabi for my flight out.

Given that, here are my questions:

1) If flying from Siem Reap, might it be easier for me to fly straight to Chiang Mai, then do the MHS loop, then have plenty of time to decide priorities from there before ending up in Krabi?

2) How 'worth it' are Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai? Considering that I'll have spent a week throughout the Angkor temple sites, especially. I don't want to miss out on something special, but also don't want to do something just because I feel I'm supposed to.

3) Lop Buri...has anyone been to the monkey festival? And if I want to get closer up photos of monkeys, is there anywhere else in my travels where I would have the same types of opportunities? It could always be a stop on my way to/from Bangkok, wouldn't need to be a full day.

Thanks a bunch!

#1 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 23:23

• Advertisement

• Zimadian

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2012

I'm planning to do a solo trip starting on November 16th for three weeks. I too am currently planning my trip. What is the MHS loop? Is it worth it?

#2 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 20:08

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Flying from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai is going to cost you a pretty penny might want to look into that if you are thinking it. Imo not worth it.

#3 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 20:30

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

2) How 'worth it' are Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai?

Angkor Wat and S.Reap are definitely more spectacular than those two, not saying that they are not worthy, but it depends on how much are you into history and ancient architecture. The scale of Suk. and Satch. are much smaller than Angkor, and the styles are different, where Suk. is more Buddhist, and Angkor is more Hindu with some Buddhism mixed in. I'd say it would not be a great loss not having to visit compared to Angkor (a must), but with enough time, it is still worthy to see them for once. You have to ask yourself your priorities on temples, nature, small town experience, and beaches.

#4 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 21:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.