Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Pre Booking Transport & Money

• NAWT1BOOKA

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2012

Hello all,

Me and my girlfriend are going to Thailand on 31st January for 22 nights staying in Bangkok, Koh Tao, Koh Phangan, Koh Samui, Ao Nang, Phi Phi & Puket. All the flights and hotels have been booked just need to sort out transport to our destinations.

I was planing on booking the train and ferry tickets online before travelling to save time when we're there (i like to be organised). Are the websites and the tickets that you print out reliable? Proposing to use thairailticket.com, and the lomprayh & phi phi ferry websites.

Also we are planning to take £1,500 spending money between us for the trip. How is best to take this? Sterling, Baht or use card (3% charge, but safer) or maybe a mixture?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 10:46

• Advertisement

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

You really don't need to book in advance.
    You can go to Hualampong Railway station and buy tickets for on the day, or ones for in advance.
    If you want a comfortable train to the south, book the 8.05 am train. It has a toilet, they serve food and drinks (inc. in the price) and arrive in the afternoon at Chumpon or Surat Thani. (for the islands)
    The station also sells ferry tickets for the islands.

Also check out www.seat61.com for info on trains.

#2 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 14:46

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

thats a load of islands-do you really think they are not all much of a sameness? in a short time.
    Its as simple as buying a London tube ticket: can be done till 1 min before-thats all. Do not waste that precious time of yours now to book tickets that for most cannot even be prebooked. IF you really are serious about not wasting time-skip 2-3 islands and all the trips needed+wasted time to search for your prebooked accomm (tipically mostly hidden behind much more attractive places).

#3 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 04:13

• NAWT1BOOKA

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2012

I don't know about the sameness because we've never been before. I chose our destinations based on friend's recommendations and research on the internet. I thought we might as well do them all in one go as I might not be able to do anything like this again for a long time (getting married next year, possibly a baby).

We have 3 days/nights in each destination which I think is sufficient, we want this to be more of an adventure/island hop holiday instead of the two week lazy holidays that we're used to.

#4 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 05:37

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Everything booked like that, what a shame, so planned out :( - I'm leaving Jan. 3rd, haven't got my plane ticket yet & have no idea where I'm staying... well Ok I want to stay on Koh Lanta for a month, then head to Cambodia... that's how I plan :P

#5 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 11:35

• JP90

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2012

A plane ticket, some cash and an ATM-card as back-up is all you need ...

#6 Posted: 4/11/2012 - 10:33

• NAWT1BOOKA

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2012

I'd love to just buy my ticket and go, but work are only allowing me 23 days holiday unfortunately so thought I best have it all planned to make the most of the time I have there.

#7 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 08:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey Nawtibooka,
    In answer to your questions:

"I was planing on booking the train and ferry tickets online before travelling to save time when we're there (i like to be organised). Are the websites and the tickets that you print out reliable? Proposing to use thairailticket.com, and the lomprayh & phi phi ferry websites."

I've personally never used either, but have friends who have used both, especially Lomprayah, and they've had no problems. As others have inferred, booking the ferry isn't all that necessary, but I'd say if you can book the train in advance, not a bad idea, especially for a fairly tight itinerary like yours.

"Also we are planning to take £1,500 spending money between us for the trip. How is best to take this? Sterling, Baht or use card (3% charge, but safer) or maybe a mixture?"

I'd take a couple of hundred in cash and wear the fee & use ATM for the rest. Everywhere you are going has plenty of ATMs, so no need for TQs etc

Have a good trip :-)

#8 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 08:44

• NAWT1BOOKA

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2012

Thanks for your post Somtam it was very helpful. I've heard from a few people that the internet sites are reliable so it's given us more confidence to use them.

Think money wise taking some in GBP and changing it to Baht out there to get a better rate seems the best idea, and then the rest on a debit card.

#9 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 08:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.