Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chaing Mai or Siem Reap

Posted by Chicagojosh85 on 3/11/2012 at 19:00

So I have the tough question of where I should go with 4-5 days out of Bangkok. Chaing Mai or Siem Reap (Angkor Wat and Tonle Sap Lake)

Does one have more to offer than the other? I know they are both different landscapes and such.

#1 Chicagojosh85 has been a member since 3/11/2012. Posts: 11

Posted by exacto on 3/11/2012 at 20:20

You can't go wrong either way.

Chiang Mai is a fantastic travel and vacation destination with great restaurants, bars, shopping, and spas. The town has a nice style, and the best part of being there is wandering around and discovering it on your own. There are nice cultural spots too, including a few extra worthwhile temples to explore. It is one of my favorite places.

Having said that, if I were you, I'd seriously consider the side trip to Siem Reap for a few days at Angkor Wat, because Angkor Wat is one of those "bucket list I'm so glad I saw this before I died" destinations. The town of Siem Reap has come a long way as well, and you'll find enough interesting things to keep you busy for a few days.

Just remember that when you return to Thailand overland, you'll only get 15 days visa exemption at the border. But from your other post, it seems like those 15 days will be enough for you to complete the rest of your frenetic itinerary. I hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,626
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by altmtl on 3/11/2012 at 21:12

Siem Reap - Angkor is a must see, although it is very crowded with tourists.

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Captain_Bob on 4/11/2012 at 09:35

Chiang Mai is a way cheaper option and definitely worthwhile if you do some research and get a bit off the beaten path. Flights are cheap bought in advance. Flights to Siem Reap are ridiculously expensive. Oh I live in CM so go figure ;-)

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by josphi1 on 5/11/2012 at 00:59

Captainbob,
We planned on taking the night train to Chaing Mai and then Flying back to Bangkok all for $70 bucks. If we went to Siem Reap we would also take bus which would be cheap.

#5 josphi1 has been a member since 31/10/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.