Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chaing Mai or Siem Reap

• Chicagojosh-

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2012

So I have the tough question of where I should go with 4-5 days out of Bangkok. Chaing Mai or Siem Reap (Angkor Wat and Tonle Sap Lake)

Does one have more to offer than the other? I know they are both different landscapes and such.

#1 Posted: 3/11/2012 - 19:00

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

You can't go wrong either way.

Chiang Mai is a fantastic travel and vacation destination with great restaurants, bars, shopping, and spas. The town has a nice style, and the best part of being there is wandering around and discovering it on your own. There are nice cultural spots too, including a few extra worthwhile temples to explore. It is one of my favorite places.

Having said that, if I were you, I'd seriously consider the side trip to Siem Reap for a few days at Angkor Wat, because Angkor Wat is one of those "bucket list I'm so glad I saw this before I died" destinations. The town of Siem Reap has come a long way as well, and you'll find enough interesting things to keep you busy for a few days.

Just remember that when you return to Thailand overland, you'll only get 15 days visa exemption at the border. But from your other post, it seems like those 15 days will be enough for you to complete the rest of your frenetic itinerary. I hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2012 - 20:20

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Siem Reap - Angkor is a must see, although it is very crowded with tourists.

#3 Posted: 3/11/2012 - 21:12

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Chiang Mai is a way cheaper option and definitely worthwhile if you do some research and get a bit off the beaten path. Flights are cheap bought in advance. Flights to Siem Reap are ridiculously expensive. Oh I live in CM so go figure ;-)

#4 Posted: 4/11/2012 - 09:35

• josphi1

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2012

Captainbob,
    We planned on taking the night train to Chaing Mai and then Flying back to Bangkok all for $70 bucks. If we went to Siem Reap we would also take bus which would be cheap.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 00:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang to Siem Reap Travel Suggestions? ... By jenwhalensf on 19 Apr 2007 0 2338 19 Apr 2007