Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel service on phuket or kho phi phi

• dymasaditiya

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2012

Hi everybody

Anybody here have used a travel service around phuket to kho phi phi island,etc ? please give me some name travel service with a best service,but not too expensive.
    If i stay on 2N kho phi phi,any travel service to maya bay,viking cave,etc in this place?
    on october how about the wheather?

thx please forgive me if my engslish not so good

#1 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 00:34

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1.in PHuket-does not matter-the boats have a fixed price-and if you book via any of the 1000s of agents you see everywhere, transport to quay is included. There are no best or better ones-all are the same.
    2.Phiphi is so small, that you can walk anywhere-and its a real island, so there are no real roads. To some beaches you can only go by chartered boat-they will find you, there is no need to search at all.
    3.depends what you are used to and what you call cheap or expensive, but for THAI standard both -Phuket and Phi-x2, are about the most expensive places to stay and go around.

#2 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 01:25

• dymasaditiya

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2012

To captainbkk

thank's for your information.how about wheather on october?

#3 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 01:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um, I beg to differ with the cap'n - I have found it pays to shop around for Phi Phi transfers in Phuket . The best deals are often at one of the many small streetside travel kioks - but the cost varies.
    Travel costs at most hotel travel desks are usually higher - I often get the best deal outside and then ask the travel desk if they can match it. Often they can.

One accommodation travel desk that consistently has given me lowest price without being asked to match outside prices is Phuket Backpackers' in Phuket town - a squeaky-clean joint with dorms and double rooms which is an excellent base right of the aircraft.

One thing for sure - prices at the ticket counter at the quay are way higher. I couldn't make Phuket Backpackers' or any outside kiosk last trip and was shocked at the pier price. A guy and his girl who came across from Patong said his price was 100 each more than quoted back at the beach. And he hadn't got the free transport to the pier thrown in.

#4 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 02:37

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Oh yeah, October weather. I'm a weather nerd - this is my usual reply for October:

OCTOBER
    October is usually one of the wettest months in all areas. But we still get plenty of posts saying people had a good holiday with the usual daily mixture of one or a few showers/storms and sunshine/scattered cloud, some days with no rain. This has been the pattern in all my wet season visits (one of these went into early Oct.)

My experience of wet season months is that 15-25% of days tend to be blowy which can make west facing beaches and ferry trips unpleasant and longtail snorkelling trips cancel.
    However quite a few wet season days have little or no wind and when the sun's out conditions on those beaches can be as good as anywhere.

Prolonged wet periods are not too common in Thailand but I have to say in all the years I've been following the wet season (I'm a weather nerd) the most complaints of this have come from the Samui area islands in Oct, Nov and early Dec. But things are variable - I've only visited this area once during THAT period, in Nov 97, and I got good weather.
    September in this area tends to be the end of its drier mid-year period, so if your visit is EARLY Oct, you may have a better chance of less rain than later.
    Seems to me the really bad years tend to be about one in 4-5, but not necessarily every 4th-5th year.

Statistically the driest island in an average Oct has been Ko Samet (216mm and 15 days with SOME sort of rain - on some days this could be a short shower at night). Most of Samet's beaches face east and are sheltered from the prevailing wet season winds which on the days when they get stronger can cause rough seas and blow a lot of flotsam and jetsam onto exposed beaches.
    The wettest are the Ranong Islands of little Ko Chang and Ko Phayam (414mm-24). Samui has averaged 304-20.

Anecdotally and statistically wet season tends to end earlier in the eastern Gulf than other island areas. So if you are going LATE Oct you may find Big Ko Chang and its neighbours drier than most except Samet.

If you look at the stats for the north iyou will find rainfall totals seem to drop earlier there too. The central area around Bangkok seems less wet also.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 02:45

• dymasaditiya

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2012

thank's for your report about a wheather.it's so help

#6 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 04:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.