Thailand forum

Penang to Chumphon - How to commute?

• Greatlookin-
    guy

Click here to learn more about Greatlookinguy
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2012
    Location Earth

I've want to catch the 7am or 1pm Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao. Will check out of my hostel in Penang the previous day. Can anyone help me with ideas on how to get from Penang to Chumphon (accounting for the overnight stay) after hostel checkout on day-1 to ferry pick up on day-2?

The BKK train that stops at Chumphon will leave Penang in the afternoon and arrive at Chumphon at 2:30 am. No point checking into a hotel at that time till 7am for the first ferry out to Koh Tao. If there are no other bright ideas, I will have to follow this plan and wait out the hours between 2:30am and 7am somewhere on Chumphon station or on the Ferry dock.

Unless someone has a better idea...?

#1 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 11:12

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

The only way I can think of after looking at train schedules and ferry times is that you could find a bus that goes Penang to Hat Yai and arrives there in time for you to get to the train station and catch the 4:23 PM DRC train which arrives in Chumphon at 10:50 PM giving you time to catch the midnight ferry.

There might be buses from Hat Yai to Chumphon as well but figuring out bus schedules is a lost cause on the internet...

Honestly I would just take the train straight through. Having to kill those few hours in the morning will be better then the headache and wasting more day time the day before to travel part way by bus. The early ferry gets to the island not even a couple hours after the midnight one anyways so its not like you are saving any time really.

#2 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 12:21

• Greatlookin-
    guy

Click here to learn more about Greatlookinguy
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2012
    Location Earth

Thank You Geer1.

Now I only hope the Chumphon station does not "close" after the last train. In the UK, Tube and Train stations close at some point in the night and no one is allowed to wait inside till they open again at 5am or something.

Also, does anyone know how far the train station is from the docks? Will be catching the Lomprayah 7am Ferry.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 00:16

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

OMG-again the ignorant newbie.
    DO take that train for the sake of simplicity-it will be hrs late in Chum.
    If you had ever been here you would laugh about your UK-ideas. Stations are not fenced off and anyone gets in/out. Life goes on 24 hrs-certainly if there are trains rolling in and there is chance to make money by SELL things. And there WILL be ''cafes'' or places to drink/eat open. Its tropics here-so its always warm/hot-even in the mid of night. By 5.30 the sun comes up.
    The nasty thing here on this site is that so many people only believe in trains for transport. BUS is THE mode for Thai to go along-they go a plenty over 1000s of kms. And no worry about buses to find; they will find you-open eyes and look for the LOmpr bus. More likely is you will be approached even before then.
    Most people get off that INTernational train in Surat-when you hear them screaming-even hrs late-to connect for the night ferries to those other islands.

#4 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 01:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.