Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi Day Trip Ideas

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I am staying in Bangkok for my first few days but was contemplating a day trip out to Kanchanaburi . From what I see there are both trains and buses but most of the trains come back early.

So what I was thinking was take the 7:45 train to the River Kwai bridge, should get there ~ 11. Then can either do something near the river or get a ride into Kanchanaburi and do something there. Buses leave Kanchanaburi back to Bangkok every 20 minutes until 8 PM as per kanchanaburi-info website.

So I figure that would give me a good 7-8 hours or so to do something grab a bite to eat and then head back to Bangkok. Anyone know of cheap options to keep busy with out there? I am looking for budget ideas since I am already blowing budgets on other parts of my trip...

Thanks

#1 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 16:39

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Noticed that the Kanchanaburi Travel Center has a reasonably priced half day kayak trip from 2 PM to 6 PM. I might just go take a look at the bridge and then take a stroll through town while waiting for the trip and then after the trip take the bus back to town. Should make for a decent budget day.

Any other ideas or ideas to do while waiting are appreciated.

#2 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 21:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

There is enough at the bridge and in town to easily burn the hours between 1100 and 1400.

Personally I'd be trying to get on a tour that takes in Erawan Falls, Hell Fire Pass, a ride on the Death Railway back to the bridge. But I think most of these leave before 1100 although you would think someone would co-ordinate one of these with the train arrival.

If you decide on your bridge-town-kayak thing, stay on the train if it goes north of the main Kanchanaburi stop - the bridge is another 2-3km and will save some walking and backtracking (assuming your kayak tour leaves from town central or near).

#3 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 17:09

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Thanks Tezza,

My plan was to stay on the train until the station just before the bridge. Then I will walk across, take some pictures, look around at whatever else is in the area and then head back into town. Maybe go check out one of the museums, the cemeteries etc or anything else that looks interesting while waiting for the kayak tour(unless I find a decent priced way to do one or some of the things you mentioned).

I am really blown away that there doesn't seem to be more tour offerings etc built around the train times as well. Or maybe there is and they just aren't online yet. My guess is that they would rather get people to do the day trips right from Bangkok instead because of the premium paid for those tours.

#4 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 23:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.