Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel time - Ao nang to Koh phangang

• ajf

Click here to learn more about ajf
    Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011
    Location South Africa

Hi guys - what is the fatest way to gte from Ao nang (krabi) to Koh phangang? preferably not flying though as this seems more expensive than the bus and boat options? I've heard everything from 3hrs to 8hrs bus trip from krabi to surat thani? and then 2hrs ferry crossing to koh phanagang? Please help, I'm trying to work out if we got an early start we could reasonable expect to get to from ao nanag to koh phangang in about 5-6hrs - is this possible? Thanks

#1 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 07:09

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um, songthaew Ao Nang to Krabi bus station - 40 minutes
    Bus Krabi - Surathani - 3 hours give or take
    van Surathani to Don Sak pier - 1 hour '' '' ''
    ferry Don Sak Phangan - 2 hours '' '' ''
    Adds up, and of course that does not include any waiting around time. Don't leave too late or you may miss the last ferry from Don Sak - I think it is either 1600 or 1800, Google is your friend. Of course there is always the option of the night ferry which leaves from Surathani town pier around 2200-2300 from memory.

To save a bit of time I'd be enquiring at small travel agents and trip booking kiosks on the street about a dircect minivan/ferry ticket. Thing is this should take you directly to the pier at Donsak - although you may be dropped at a Surathani travel agency and picked up by one of their van shuttles to Don Sak.
    Back in the day these vans left from an agency near Krabi town but I bet these days they either leave from Ao Nang or there is a connecting shuttle from Ao Nang to the depot.

#2 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 20:18

• ajf

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011
    Location South Africa

thanks Tezza thats very helpful,

we are planning on catching an early bus from krabi, I see from the 1stopkrabi website there is one that leaves at 7am. However we are travelling on the 28th (full moon party) should we look at booking ahead of time, I'm worried about over full busses and ferry's? (we do have koh phanang accomodation booked already)

and costs?:
    songthaew -
    krabi-surat thani bus - 140 THB
    van surat thani - don sak pier -
    ferry to koh phanang - 450 THB

Thanks
    Andrea

#3 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 07:07

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

I haven't done Krabi to Suratthani on party day, so I don't know how crowded the bus will be. The fact that it leaves so early means a lot of lazy travellers may not have roused themselves. At the same time, to make the Party people would have to leave early.
    I don't think you can book buses from Krabi bus station ahead - it's just a matter of showing up. You could certainly book a minibus transfer a day or two ahead from one of the trip desks or agencies around town or the beaches.

It's a long time since I did the songthaew trip Ao Nang to the bus station - I'm guessing maybe 50baht each.
    All my recent day ferry trips to Phangan have involved a ticket bought in Surathani which includes the cost of the van shuttle to Don Sak. It's a fairly lengthy trip and I can't hazard a guess at the price.
    I can't see transport to the pier ever being booked out - there are so many vans in Surathani they would simply put on another. Some shuttles use bigger coaches - the last I was on was only 10% full - but that was April shoulder season and a good week before the Party.

#4 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 17:56

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

I assume this 7.00 bus is just the normal linebus? in that case-it wont lve by 7.00- but more or less give or take whithin 20 mins either side. Also I do not know when first ST lvs Ao nang-though often that very early here in Th. Its just like a london bus: if seats all taken-you stand. Do people really have nowadays no more brains to think of such obvious things?
    If you really have to worry about cost of songhthaews-then you better stay home and save 1 more year- a beer will cost more-and Brits are known to down them by the dozen.

#5 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 01:22

• ajf

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011
    Location South Africa

hi captain bkk,
    thank you for the advise on adding an extra 20minutes to departure times.

I'm not sure if this comment is aimed at me - "Do people really have nowadays no more brains to think of such obvious things?" If it is may I just say that I am not from a country where when the bus is full we just keep cramming people in, in a standing position.

Secondly, I am not British, I am not from Britian and I am not travelling with british pound currancy exchange rate, so advising me to "stay home" as "Brits are known to down a dozen beers" is fairly insulting. I was asking what the cost of getting a songhthaews is, and dont appreciate your assumptions on my finances either.

#6 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 01:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Ol' cap'n is a bit cranky today. But his point on the first songthaew out of Ao Nang is a good one - fairly early in the day I once had to wait around a long time for one to show up. It was low season which may have had some impact - this songthaew picked up a few kids on their way to school so I think it was a bit later than say 0600 which is probably what you will need. Staying in Krabi town the night before eliminates this problem (note the bus station is still some 3-4km west of town) but if you have already got your night-before accomm booked at the beach, maybe an expensive taxi is the safest option.
    Frankly I'd be looking into booking a day or two before a minibus/ferry transfer.

I forgot to mention ferry crowds. They can always fit more people on a ferry. The big vehicle ferries which are the main types out of Don Sak can take thousands of passengers. I've never seen one anywhere near full capacity. There are some smaller faster ferries, but once again they will always fit someone on.

#7 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 17:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.