Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Can I exchange $20 USD in Bangkok?

• owsleybeck

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

I know that far from the city Exchange places only take new $100 USD bills. But I have some American 20's that I would like to get rid of first before I start using my hundreds. Is it possible to change these or will I be out of luck?

#1 Posted: 15/5/2007 - 14:12

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hello,

Im sure you can change other notes besides 100 doller notes. But if you couldn't find an exchange place that would change them Im sure someone somewhere would.

It is Thailand after all. ;)

#2 Posted: 15/5/2007 - 17:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i'm fairly sure you can change any denomination of US cash at almost any exchange booth in thailand. larger bills are preferred and the newer or at least cleaner crisper bills are preferred as well. even so, i've exchanged $1 bills on several occasions.

the hitch is that the smaller the bill, the worse the exchange rate. you'll typically get the best rate for large bills like $100s. bills like $20s and $5s will net you typically about 1 baht per dollar less. there should be no additional fees for changing cash no matter what the denomination.

one last thing is that you might want to consider keeping a few of those smaller bills handy in case you get caught short on baht and need to change just a bit of money in a hurry just to get by. that way you'll only be getting a really bad rate for the $20 instead of for the $100. just in case. cheers.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2007 - 21:38

• GussieG

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2006

Not sure where you got your info re USD100s , but think you may have interpreted it slightly wrongly. Most places will exchange pretty much any denomination of dollar bills, but will not accept the old-style $100 bills, due to forgeries, hence the need for "new" $100 bills. This can be the same for other denominations, also.

#4 Posted: 15/5/2007 - 22:17

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi owsleybeck,

I had no problem exchanging USD $20, 50 and 100 bills at two different foreign exchange places (Siam Commerical Bank was one) on or near Khao San Rd.

You will get a better exchange rate with USD $100 bills.

Ernie

#5 Posted: 17/5/2007 - 16:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.