Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Railay Beach/Krabi

• cameoalexa

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2012

Can anyone tell me if P.A.N. Beach Bungalow is near climbing in Railay Beach/Krabi!! Looking for a cheap place to stay near climbing for a couple of days! :)

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/11/2012 - 17:40

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

According to Agoda booking site's address, Pan is on Nopparat Thara beach, which is west of Ao Nang, some distance from the climbing. Gets worse - Agoda's map shows it is actually on Hat Ton Son which is the western extension of Nopparat Thara, across the Klong mouth. The Klong makes it a bit more of a hassle to get anywhere - you really need a boat to cross it.

I'm thinking each time you need to climb you will have to walk along to the klong, wait for one of the longtails to come across for you, then walk maybe 300m thru the National Park HQ area, wait for a songthaew into Ao Nang, and then catch a longtail for Ton Sai or Railay for the climbing.
    Of course Pan probably has a longtail which could shuttle you directly to Ton Sai or Railay - but unless you have a bunch of people to split costs this won't be cheap. And Ton Son does not attract a bunch of people - few know of this pretty nice area (water a bit shallow low tide though).

I'd be searching the booking sites etc for places within your budget at Ton Sai or West/East Railay. Ton Sai is the climbers' beach - has a much bigger range of budget and flashpacker accommodation than the Railays. Better atmosphere too - all those climbers shooting the bull over a post-climb drink. If you want Railay, there is more less-expensive accommodation on East Railay, which is closest the climbing sites for that side. Only 10 minutes walk to West Railay and less to the best beach in the area, Phra Nang.
    btw you can walk across to West/East Railay from Ton Sai.
    One final thing - unless it was peak peak I personally would not book Ton Sai - there is so much accomodation there I've always managed to find vacancies walk in. But I don't exclude bottom budget from my selection.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2012 - 19:16

• cameoalexa

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2012

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm glad I asked and we are looking for places in Ton Sai right now!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap flights from Bangkok to Samui. And then the cheapest/easiest way to get from Samui to Krabi/Railay Beach.

#3 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 14:51

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The cheapest way - okay, I'd get a night ferry ticket (saves a night's accommodation cost - you get a numbered matress and pillow on the ferry) to Surathani. Then I'd go up to the bus station and catch a bus to Krabi bus station. From there one of the songtheaws to Ao Nang - then a longtail to Ton Sai/Railay.
    A day ferry trip should not be more expensive for the trip itself - you just pay extra for accommodation the night before.

When the night ferry arrives at the Surathani dock a whole lot of touts for travel agencies will want to know where you are heading. They will be able to set you up for a minibus transfer - more expensive than the bus station bus but not over the top. The advantage is it may take you all the way to Ao Nang. Then again it may drop you at the longtail pier in Krabi town for East Railay. No problems if heading for East/West Railay, but a difficult hike with a pack if you want to got to Ton Sai.
    And there's been a heap of complaints about time wasted, overcrowded minibuses etc on this route, particularly off the day ferries. I personally have had no problems, but maybe I was lucky.

btw - unless I intended to stay a few nights on Samui or adjacent islands I'd simply catch a direct flight to Krabi - or if $$$$$ are a factor, an overnight bus (done it several times).
    If you really want to fly into Samui, both Bangkok Air and Thai have flights. I've found Bangkok Air prices not too bad if you can book well ahead. Not sure abt Thai.
    You may get cheaper flights into Surathani airport - but the hassle of getting out to the islands from there is not worth the $$$ saved IMHO.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2012 - 00:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Krabi/Railay Beach Stay? ... By Summer89 on 10 May 2011 1 4074 10 May 2011
Transport or distance from Klong Muang Beach to Railay Beach ... By sugarplum on 23 Feb 2007 1 4116 23 Feb 2007
Railay/Ton Sai/Krabi changes ... By tezza on 15 Dec 2008 3 3974 18 Dec 2008
Ao Nang or Krabi or Railay ... By kriskeogh on 23 Nov 2011 4 8800 27 Mar 2014
Railay or Ko Lanta or Krabi..? ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 0 3533 17 Nov 2010
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1904 28 Jan 2013
Krabi and Railay - places to stay on a budget ... By Worldtraveller on 25 Feb 2010 1 4873 25 Feb 2010
Extended stay in Railay/Krabi - advice ... By Lachmantf on 24 Sep 2012 3 2082 12 Oct 2012
Looking for a travel buddy to/around Krabi/Phi Phi/Railay...April 1st-? ... By Travelguy76 on 3 Mar 2014 0 380 3 Mar 2014
Phi Phi/ Railay beach. Help! ... By indian_gypsy on 18 Oct 2007 1 5236 19 Oct 2007