Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Islands in December?

• emc

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

I will be in Thailand in December and I am trying to decide where to go in Southern Thailand at the end of my trip. A Thai person I know has recommended Ko Phi Phi, Ko Phangan, Ko Samui and Ko Samet. An American traveler I know has recommended I go to Phuket and Krabi. I know weather is supposed to be better in the west in December, but I don't believe it will be monsoon season for Ko Phangan yet...?

I am female, 25, traveling solo, looking for like-minded, similarly aged backpackers to socialize with and I'm into nature more than hardcore partying. Any recommendations or advice?

#1 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 02:58

• Advertisement

• SoonLoong

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012
    Location Singapore

Hi. I will be heading to Southern Thailand in late Dec. As I intend to dive, I'll be heading towards Koh Tao. After that, I'm unsure if I should stay there or move to another island before heading home.

Not a hardcore party animal either, though I would want to experience the FMP. I'll be coming over from Bangkok and would be traveling solo until mid Jan. We could meet if our dates and location clash? Enable your PM or is there an email I could send to?

#2 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 09:46

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The monsoon season does extend into December on the Phangan/Samui side of the southern peninsula but normally it is not too bad (can't be, considering places charge high season prices - can't get away with that in the Andaman in full-on wet season July-Oct).
    About one in every 4 or 5 Decembers is real wet, not necessarily on a regular basis, but so far this year the wet season that side has been pretty mild. Put it this way, I'm a weather nerd but if I really really wanted to go to Phangan this December, I would.
    Some of the more laid back beaches on the east coast - Had Yuan, Had Tien, Had Wai Nam, Than Sadet, Thong Nai Pan) plus Bottle Beach and Coral Beach on the north coast have the backpacker vibe and nature. Mai Had in the north west is similar.

So do Krabi (Railay and Ton Sai), Phi Phi (I'd try to stay on the east coast or at Long Beach) and Samet (4th beach down Ao Tubtim and mid-island Candelight Beach probably best for your wants). Samet has the advantage of being closest to Bangkok and is normally the driest tourist island in Thailand.

I'm discounting Samui and Phuket from the discussion - unlike a lot of travellers I like these islands (there's a beach for everyone) but I reckon your other choices are better for a first visit.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 17:04

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Koh Phangan is in east coast of Thailand and in December it's still in monsoon over there!
    The best time in December will be Andaman coast Such as Phuket, Krabi ,Trang ,Phangnga(Khao Lak) , Satun (Koh Liper,Koh Tarutao) province.
    If you would like to visit east cost Khao Sok (Surat Thani) is a nice time to visit there . (it will looks beautiful when it rains)

#4 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 01:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.