Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand & Cambodia itinerary

• Leonw86

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Hi everybody,

My girlfriend and I are visiting Thailand and Cambodia for 7,5 weeks from the end of januari till the end of march. We would like some comments on our itinerary. Is it possible in 7,5 weeks? Do you recommend some side trips or extra rest stops? What would you do different? We love big cities, beautifull nature and landscapes. Busy destinations may alternate with quieter destinations. All travel has to be overland.

Arrival in Bangkok
    To Chiang Mai by train
    Back to Bangkok by train
    Bangkok to Siem Reap by train en taxi
    Siem Reap to Battambang
    Battambang to Phnom Penh
    Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville
    Sihanoukville to Bangkok (I think this will be the most difficult part of the trip)
    Bangkok by train to Kanchanaburi
    From Kanchanaburi to Nakon Pathom and take the night train to Hat Yai
    Start the south tour in Ko Lipe and work our way up
    Ko Lipe by ferry to Koh Phi Phi
    Koh Phi Phi to Krabi
    Krabi to Phang Nga bay
    Phang Nga bay to Khao Sok NP
    Khao Sok NP to Koh Samui
    Koh Samui to Ko Phangan
    If whe have time left maybe an extra stop in Ko Tao
    Koh Phangan or Ko Tao by ferry and train back to Bangkok

We will see how far we can get in those 7,5 weeks.

Thanks for your comments.

#1 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 08:56

• Advertisement

• TrippinRob

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

Sheeeze where do i start..ok
    1)why dont you go to Kanchan a burri on way to chaing Mai? and straight back to bankok,,save time and back tracking( Look into Pai up in that area-a lovely town)
    2) can you get bankok to siem Reap by train?over night bus is the goout of BKK
    3) skip Battambang ect if i were you,,its ok buy..???
    $) get fast boat from Siem Reap to PP..its cool--sit outside and see the culture,,the same one that will takes days on a bus..but there that afternoon in time for cocktails.
    4) more time in Siem reap and down Shianookville way..
    At least 6 or 7 days in SR,,get a 3 day temples pass-over 7 days
    it allows you to have time off inbetween days-it can get hot and over whenlming-only so many ancient ruins can be absorbed-long days,,esp if you see sunrises.
    See the natural history museum before temples to give you a great insite into what you will be seeing.
    The horse ride at Happy Vally Ranch was my hightlight last time--well worth it,,go afternoon to see sunset over rice fields.
    Skip PP if you can..its a shitty town like the rest,,although you prob will spend a day or 2 there,
    Head south mu friend-Kampot, Kep < Shianookville is aslo a shitty town but only a klm or so from beaches--Oceteal,Serenditpity(mu fav)

,,as far as getting to bankok,,easy--just get a bus from Oceteal,,they pick up at hotel door,,mind you they head back to PP then across to BKK,,just another long bus ride--easy.As for the south-all sounds good-
    We spemd 3 weeks on Samui and ko Pgan last year ..rode scooter,,went to ko phan gan,,stayed at very remote places out of busy party zones...awsome,,i wouldnt book or plan too much..we didnt and found some of the best along the way , esp ko samui,,
    Kophangan-Bottle beach was lovely.

This year im going from Bkk-to Paske in Laos-down Mekong -into Cambodia-down the PP,then down to Shianookville to chill,
    Meeting my wife and family in Ko Lanta(near Krabi) for 3 weeks.My wife said she wanted to do the same ans last year but different..(Same Same but Different)
    So ko lanta it is..

I hope i have been helpful..ask any more questions if you like
    Rob

It wont matter you will have fun regardless...just dont waste time in some places,,spend more in others!

#2 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 17:42

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

3) skip Battambang ect if i were you,,its ok buy..???

Why skip Battambang? I'm hearing mixed things about this place. Most people like it, except for the bamboo train ride rip off. I'm debating going myself before going to PP.

#3 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 20:25

• TrippinRob

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

My 16yo son and i went there,,and all around the west side of Tonle' Sap.I'm not writing it off totaly but it was just not that interesting.We wandered around. It's a long way to go (not realy but half a day on a hot bus)So there is a day used..and more to travel to south.another day or 2,,,personaly i like Kompong Chnang more..I dont reget it but id spend more days looking at temples or lazing on a beach.My son was bored as hell!.The fast boat ride either way-from SR - PP or PP - SR,lets you see a lot of villages.Use sunscreen.
    It's all about the time..! If time were no issue i'd see everything

#4 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 17:10

• Leonw86

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

I will probably not skip Battambang because my girlfriends parents are from around Battambang. Maybe we will visit her family she has never seen, but we haven't decided if she wants to do that.

Is it better to move up north via Kanchanaburi or do I have to go back to Bangkok?

We will take the train from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet, cross the border and take the bus or taxi to Siem Reap. We will arrange all visas at home.

What can I expect from Kampot/Kep? Is it better to head back to BKK via PP & SR or through the Hat Lek/Koh Kong border?

Thnx!

#5 Posted: 19/11/2012 - 13:29

• greg121

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Crossing Hat Lek/Koh Kong is the direct way, I'd choose this one. Maybe stop at Ko Chang/Kood.

#6 Posted: 20/11/2012 - 01:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.