Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Trekking advies northern Thailand

Posted by Leonw86 on 19/11/2012 at 13:48

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pai, Soppong, Mae Hong Son, Nan....?? So many possibilities! Read all the info, the forum.. but we can't decide which area would be best for our trekking. We will be going to CM anyway.

What area would you advice if the main goal of the trekking experience has to be beautifull nature, scenery, viewpoints, waterfalls, rivers, cliffs, caves etc..?

My girlfriend and I want to do a trekking min. 2 days / max. 3 days.

Hope somebody can help us decide.

#1 Leonw86 has been a member since 30/5/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by RiniRabbit on 20/11/2012 at 01:07

For my favorite is in Chiang Rai ,
I recommend Phu Chifa and PhaTang at WiangKaen nice View Point in Chiang Rai if you would like to visit there.
But I think Loei is best for trekking more :)

#2 RiniRabbit has been a member since 31/7/2012. Posts: 78

Posted by waterlessfish on 20/11/2012 at 04:06

Nan had some great national parks. The views at Doi Phuka were quite brilliant when I went there camping a few years ago. I'd recommend getting out of Chiang Mai if you want pristine, natural trekking locations. Don't get me wrong, the city is fantastic. It's just that the treks there have been well travelled by so many tourists before. Head further afield if you want something more untouched.

#3 waterlessfish has been a member since 20/11/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by Leonw86 on 20/11/2012 at 09:03

But is Chiang Rai or Nan worth the extra hours travelling from and back to Chiang Mai? Or should I look for a place closer to Chaing Mai like Pai, Mae Hong Son, Soppong, Chiang Dao?

#4 Leonw86 has been a member since 30/5/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by MADMAC on 20/11/2012 at 20:34

I think Chaiyupum is highly under-rated, but that is certainly pretty far from Chiang Mai.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/11/2012 at 22:56 admin

Some more info on trekking:
Trekking in Thailand
Trekking options in Thailand other than Chiang Mai

May be of use :)

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by waterlessfish on 23/11/2012 at 00:12

Mae Hong Son is quite a distance from Chiang Mai as well so if you're including it on the list, you may as well include Nan and Chiang Rai too. By bus from Chiang Mai, it takes 8 hours to get to Mae Hong Son, 6 hours to get to Nan, and 3 hours to Chiang Rai. If you're pressed for time, it certainly looks like Chiang Rai is the better option.

About the other choices, Pai was a bit too touristy for my liking. A town full of backpackers in the mountains. I don't know about the trekking there though. I've never been unfortunately.

#7 waterlessfish has been a member since 20/11/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by Leonw86 on 23/11/2012 at 03:24

Thanks everybody!

I think I made my decision and will be going to Soppong for a few days (traveltime about 4hrs from Chiang Mai?). From what I've read Pai is to touristy. Chiang Rai en Chiang Dao are still in the picture, but I'm leaning to Soppong because from what I've read the natural beauty will be beter here.

Somebody who thinks different about this or confirms this, please comment.

Thnx!!

#8 Leonw86 has been a member since 30/5/2012. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.