Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Feb/March 2013?

• emae8507

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Hey,

I have never been to Thailand before and really want to go in Feb/March next year. A lot of my friends have now been and said it was amazing. Im 22 years old and am not as outgoing as some of my mates. A little bit worried to go on my own, any pointers would be much appreciated.

Ellie

#1 Posted: 20/11/2012 - 06:08

• Advertisement

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Feb/March is good time to traveling in Thailand , Here not too hot until April.
    So I would advice you to visit Northern of Thailand and Down to Southern of Thailand for lovely weather and beaches. (can visit both side Andaman and Gulf of Thailand)
    For low fare should book in advance
    http://www.airasia.com/th/en/home.page
    Try to research more about Thailand and what province that you interested to see / go.
    So that we can help you more.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 04:13

• rkat90

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2012

Hey Ellie,

How long do you intend to go to Thailand for? Are you looking for someone to go with or just for tips? I'm also a 22 year old girl from the West Midlands looking to do a bit of travelling starting in March but am a bit scared to go alone!

Let me know if you want to chat!

x

#3 Posted: 23/12/2012 - 04:51

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

You guys should active the private message option in your profiles - if on FB check out the group link below... lots of people around at that time.

#4 Posted: 23/12/2012 - 09:08

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

P.S. I wouldn't worry too about tours and such, booking in advance is often more restrictive than anything else, and you can pretty much do things on your own. You'll have a better chance of meeting locals and fellow travellers on buses and trains than on a plane. Although I don't like hostels/dorms they are a good place to meet people. I also you suggest you try couchsurfing & travbuddy - There are a lot of solo travellers.

#5 Posted: 23/12/2012 - 10:58

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

What kind of vacation appeals to you emae... party scene, shopping trip, quiet beaches, monuments and ruins; what are you into?

If you're into the party scene judging by what you've said already, it sounds like you might be, go to Patong which is located on the island of Phuket which is in the south of the country. It has an good beach with powdery white sand, hundreds of bars and restaurants, hotels ranging from $17 upwards and lots of guys and girls around your age.

But don't go to Northern Thailand like RiniRabbit suggested because February/March is the start of the burning season in that part of the country where farmers in both northern Thailand, Laos and beyond slash and burn forests and vegetation to create farming land. The smog levels are dangerous and it's almost impossible to breath.

There's a good article on Wikitravel which describes Patong and which you can find via this link: http://wikitravel.org/en/Patong

This youtube clip will also give you an idea of what you can expect: http://youtu.be/HvILX_abBm4

Apart from bars you see in the video, there are also five large discos which stay open until the early hours. Tai Pan is one of them and entrance is free. Here's the Google Street View of it: http://goo.gl/maps/yDSVd To activate the map, click anywhere in the sky and then hit left or right arrow key to turn the map around. From there, you can click anywhere on the road to take you forwards/backwards etc.

What's your budget? If you let me know either in this thread or send me a private message, I'll give you some hotels which are well located to the nightlife.

#6 Posted: 25/12/2012 - 10:12

• emae8507

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Hey,

Thanks for all your replies. I think i have made my mind up now on what im going to do. My friend told me about this travel company called TruTravels. They seem perfect for what i am looking for as they pick you up from the airport and travel down south to koh phangan. its a group tour thing which i wouldnt normally do but my friend did it in september and she said it was the best desicion she made as she carried on travelling with a few of them once the week was over.

It would be good to get your opinions. www.trutravels.com Let me know what you think. Especially you rkat90.

Cant wait to get away from this weather in the UK!

E x

#7 Posted: 26/12/2012 - 22:43

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

That tour looks like the biggest rip off ever, if you're that insecure about travelling, take it but otherwise you can do it yourself very cheaply. I'd avoid that and Patong.

#8 Posted: 27/12/2012 - 01:49

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

There is imho no reason the go on an organized tour in Thailand.

I have been there a couple of times, with friends and without. Travelling all alone you are never alone. I never get in touch with so many people while travelling with my girlfriend. I get into talks with so many people on boats and in buses and their are so many people out there travelling alone. Stay flexible, pay less, see more, to do so avoid travel agencies and more important, read the scam section.

I see so many people on the streets of Krabi and Bangkok getting scammed by touts. So just be aware of that and you will be fine!

#9 Posted: 27/12/2012 - 02:52

• Cozzy91

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2013

Hi I'm also going alone in the 14th of march was meant to be going with my partner but hasn't worked out scared of going alone, I'm in to minds what to do ?

#10 Posted: 1/3/2013 - 05:15

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand for 2 months mid jan to mid march 2013 ... By herjazz on 30 Dec 2012 8 2842 30 Dec 2012
26 Female - Nov 2012 - March 2013 Thailand, Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam, ... By LondonHoney8286 on 14 Feb 2012 25 5859 1 Nov 2012
Mt Kinabalu on march 28 to 30 2013 ... By nasmej11 on 29 Aug 2012 2 997 10 Oct 2012