Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station

Posted by Chicagojosh85 on 21/11/2012 at 02:14

How long will it take going from Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station at around 4:30-5pm?
How long with taxi?
How long by bus?
Airport Rail?

#1 Chicagojosh85 has been a member since 3/11/2012. Posts: 11

Posted by amnicoll on 21/11/2012 at 08:34

I do not know how long by taxi but I would not try it. catch airport express (or city express) from airport to Makasan and then get the metro to Hualampong it will take less than an hour.

If you are intending to catch a train then Bang Sue might also be an option and simply catch the metro going in the other direction

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 635

Posted by greg121 on 21/11/2012 at 09:00

If you are intending to catch a train then Don Muang might also be an option. Catch Bus 555 from BKK

#3 greg121 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 22

Posted by amnicoll on 22/11/2012 at 04:51

I thought about that but given arrival time that might not be very quick. If however you do decide to go to Don Muangthen much easier and quicker is the mini van that leaves from the main taxi stand outside the terminal

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 635

Posted by Chicagojosh85 on 23/11/2012 at 21:18

Are you guys saying that Don Maung airport to Hualamphong station is easier than Suvarnabhumi airport to Hualamphong station?

#5 Chicagojosh85 has been a member since 3/11/2012. Posts: 11

Posted by DLuek on 24/11/2012 at 00:32 TF writer

greg121, there would be absolutely no reason to go to Don Muang first - it's completely out of the way and makes no sense at all. Amnicoll's first answer is the right one. Here's some more details.

You're talking about going into the heart of town at rush hour so expect a long trip if by bus. If by taxi, expect an hour +. The fare would be in the 250 to 300 baht range depending on traffic, and you'd want to take the motorway so you'd have to pay some tolls too. If you take a taxi, make sure they turn on that meter.

As amnicoll said the best option is airport link > MRT subway. In that case, take the airport link to Makassan station and switch to the MRT at Phetchaburi station, which is a very short walk away. Then take the subway in the direction of Hualamphong MRT station, which will be the 6th and last stop. From there follow signs to Hualamphong train station, a short walk away in air-con halls beneath the ground.

#6 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,148
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by amnicoll on 24/11/2012 at 05:19

Going to Don Muang would be an option if catching a train to the north or north east and I always do this when I head straight to Lop Buri from the airport. But for journeys to the south then Hualampong or Bang Sue

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 635

Posted by captainbkk on 24/11/2012 at 07:20

Posted from within Vietnam.

ONLY go to HLPong to take trains-staying in that area is nonsense-only for green newbies who know no better.
Now the point is that ALL trains north stop after HLPong at BangSue-20/25 mins later and at DonMuang-50-60 mins later-so you gain time. YES-you can, of course, also buy tickets at those stops.
There are NO more convenient buses anyway from airport to do that trip-rail has taken the custom away. Thereis now a free shuttlebus BKK/Swampy-to DMK-for AirAsia, but they nevr check that-every hour on the hour-takes an hour.

#8 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by altmtl on 24/11/2012 at 07:35

Rail to Skytrain to Metro and you're at the train station - that's what I would do. Being rush hr. it will be crowded, but not a problem. Maybe an hour.

#9 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by DLuek on 24/11/2012 at 09:00 TF writer

I misread the post about catching the train from Don Muang, thought it was saying to head from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang airport then minibus from there to Hualamphong. My bad. But I'd still go straight to Hualamphong by airport link/MRT rather than get in a bus/taxi at rush hour.

#10 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,148
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.