Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Visa during my trip

• pwndom

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2012

Hey Guys,
    I am completely new to this forum, even though i have been getting a lot of information out of this site.

I am currently planning on my backpacking trip through SEA and will land in Bangkok and want to stay there for a couple days.
    I will get my 30-day visa but then?
    If i leave to visit cambodia, and come back by bus or something to thailand, will i get the 15 day visa in addition to my 30 day visa, which will be down to like 20 days or something, or would i only keep the 20 or even worse only have 15 days left to stay in Thailand? Cause i want to spend about 4 to 5 weeks in Thailand getting to multiple islands and stuff.

Answers are much apreciated,
    thanks.

#1 Posted: 24/11/2012 - 11:09

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi pwndom,

It depends on which passport you are holding. Nationals from most western countries visiting Thailand get a 30-day visa waiver when they arrive by air. But that is up to 30-days and only counts for that entry. So if you were to leave Thailand after 10 days, that's it - those 30 days are expired. Then when you return, you get up to 15 days visa waiver if you arrive by land or up to 30 days visa waiver if you arrive by air.

So, in your situation, you could do a couple of things. First, you could delay your visit to Cambodia until later in your trip to take full advantage of the first free 30-days. Or you could plan to fly back from Cambodia to Thailand so you could get 30 days instead of just the 15 you'd get arriving overland. Or you could apply for a 60-day Thai tourist visa while you are in Cambodia. Or you could apply for a Thai tourist visa before you leave home and just make sure Thai immigration gives you the visa waiver on your first arrival and saves the tourist visa for when you return. This last option is possible, but there is a risk your tourist visa would get used on your first arrival and then you are back to square one.

You could also apply for an extension when you returned to Thailand after Cambodia, but I think you'd only get a week, which doesn't really solve your problem.

I hope that is clear enough. Perhaps others will have better suggestions on how to approach this issue. Good luck.

#2 Posted: 24/11/2012 - 13:21

• pwndom

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2012

Ok thanks alot this helped alot.
    How hard is it to get a tourist viva while in cambodia?
    And how is it about the VIsa for Cambodia and Malaysia?

#3 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 02:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.