Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Songkran Festival 2013

• wheretonext

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012
    Location Philippines

Hello everyone,

Is Chiang Mai the best region in Thailand to spend Songkran? I am also thinking of just spending it in Myanmar instead but apparently its more livelier and fun in CM. Will be hitting up CM April 11-22, 2013 if I decide to go there.

Thanks,

Doc

#1 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 06:51

• Advertisement

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Songkran Festival in CM is fun.
    If you never been there for the Festival yet, I think it would be nice to try to stay on that time one.

#2 Posted: 26/11/2012 - 02:46

• emae8507

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

I heard that Bangkok was pretty amazing for Songkran!
    Im looking to get out there around that time so will probably base myself in Bangkok for a few days before heading south to the islands.

e x

#3 Posted: 27/11/2012 - 05:11

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Songkran in Bangkok is insane. People who arrive in Thailand during the festival have no idea what they're in for. I was leaving the country on the last day of songkran last year (a friday I believe) and although my flight was in the evening I had to leave for the airport around noon because I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of KSR "alive" later in the day.

I've also traveled THROUGH Thailand during songkran and you can't even stay dry in the bus basically. A bit like the holi festival in India where they throw paint right through the train windows.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 13:25

• cpelser

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Hi guys, this is my first (of probably many) post here.
    How full are the Hotels on Phi Phi and Phuket just before Songkran? I really like the idea of just pitching up at a hotel since we'll be in Vietnam and Thailand for four weeks and planning a set trip now seems the wrong way to go. We're at alternating our stay between budget and luxury accommodation. (1200-200 baht budget to 6000 baht luxury) per night for both of us. We're leaving on the 5th of April, is it still a safe time to just pitch up on an island like Phi Phi?
    I read on another forum that one should rather book the more luxury places online as it is cheaper, but I find that hard to believe?

#5 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 03:16

• Jasonscottb-
    all

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2012
    Location Canada

Last year was our first opportunity to attend Songkran festivities in Chiang Mai. I would suggest that if you want to attend a 4 - 5 day water fight, with lots of partying and driving in circles around either side of the moat, then choose Chiang Mai. We found it to be a lot of fun and because we have been there before, we were able to check out some places we didn't have time to see the first couple of times we visited.

Regarding the all day water fight, expect to get wet. Most people are fantastic about not trying to knock you off your bike while motoring by but there are some (all tourists - surprise, surprise) that feel it their duty to try and knock you off by throwing large pails of water at you as hard as possible. I really felt bad when, coming back around for a 3rd time, running over the same punter's foot with my scooter. Whoops!!!!

Hope you have fun!!! I may be back there this year for Songkran!!!

#6 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 19:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@cpelser -- Phi Phi is one of the few places I'd recommend booking in advance, but only over peak season (Xmas-New Years) rest of the time you'll find something...somewhere ;-)

As for hotels being cheaper online, sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. Mid last year I did a trip to Phuket and booked most of my rooms through Agoda and then compared to what I would have paid had I just walked in. It was cheaper to book online in nearly all the cases, but sometimes only marginally so and only on one occasion was Agoda more expensive. You can see that write up here. Admitedly I was staying at cheapish places (under 1,000 baht per night) so there was only so much I could save!

Simple answer there is no hard and fast answer -- walk in rates at the higher class hotels can be outrageous and the savings booking online can be very substantial -- note I say "can"! Unfortunately you don't know till you show up.

If you're looking for a fancy place on Ko Phi Phi over Songkran I'd peruse some of the online sites like Agoda, Booking, Sawadee etc and then compare to the "internet" rate on the hotel's own website -- that should give a good indicator of how much saving you are up for. Or just call the hotel over Skype and see what rate they'll give you.

I agree with JasonScottBall -- Chiang Mai is nuts over Songkran!

#7 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 20:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beach Festival and Songkran 2012 - Chiang Mai ... By katerpillar on 11 Dec 2011 3 2194 18 Dec 2011
TET Festival 2013 ... By StevenAM on 4 Jan 2013 9 3136 14 Jan 2013
Swing Festival in an Akha village, Chiangrai 29 Aug - 1 Sept 2013 ... By wanderingcat on 26 Aug 2013 9 1083 28 Aug 2013