Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Phi Phi: Fully Booked!

• neil1983

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2012

Hello,

I have been using this site very successfully for travel tips for many years now, but I have finally come unstuck and need some help!

Going to Thailand for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year and planning to be in Ko Phi Phi for 5 days over Christmas. I have tried pretty much every accommodation option I can find on-line (certainly all reviewed here) but everywhere seems to be fully booked during the dates I want to go... I would quite like to be near the action of Ton Sai or on Long Beach... What the heck should I do?

Don't really want to turn up there with my girlfriend and have to kip on the beach for 5 days over Christmas! Seems to be a simmilar story for Railay pre New Year, though I am all sorted with Ko Tao for New Year..

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Neil

#1 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 03:50

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm not surprised everything online is booked, thing is, a lot of the cheaper places don't have websites, and some who do don't reply to e-mails. This is one of the reasons I try not to travel during this time - everything is booked and over priced.

#2 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 06:25

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

is your heart set on phi phi? if not, there are lots of other lovely spots you can go. if you heart is set on phi phi, then just turn up and take your chances. arrive as early as you can in the day so you can pick up a room that is being vacated. lots of places don't book ahead and only accept walk up traffic, although i suspect it is a smaller percentage on phi phi than other locations. good luck!

#3 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 14:03

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Did you check everything on Hostelworld?

I took a quick look at the place I'm staying at in dec and if you're really serious about Phi Phi then at least they still have dorms (4 beds, so pretty private) available for online reservation. Perhaps not ideal for a couple but what can you do.

Thailand is prolly one of THE most popular tourist destinations for xmas IN THE WORLD and if you go looking for your dream accommodation 20 days prior then you're screwed basically. It sucks but that's how it is in Thailand.

I'm sure you can still find something if you just show up when people are checking out, but you can never be sure I suppose. But if not why not just get on a ferry to a different, bigger island.

#4 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 01:47

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I usually just show up and take my chances as exacto says, there will always be a room somewhere...

#5 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 11:41

• emily_morgs

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

It is quite common for more people to arrive on the island than number of beds around xmas and new year on phi phi. However, as people have said above - there is lots of accommodation that you can't book in advance. The key is to get the first boat of the day. If you get the afternoon boat there's much less chance of finding somewhere!

#6 Posted: 5/12/2012 - 16:08

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Try to check at Lo Dalam yet?
    There are many accommodations that you might can find when you get there and if you not to picky ,cuz Xmas till New Year its a peak season.
    Many tours will heading to Phi Phi and there will much crowded specially Maya bay.
    Otherwise stay at Koh Lanta or Railay instead and then to speedboat/ferry to Phi Phi. (If you can't find where to stay)

#7 Posted: 6/12/2012 - 20:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.