Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train from Surat Thani to Bangkok

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

Day Train or Overnight Train???

Ultimately the choice may come down to what I'm doing in the days before I have to go to Bangkok, but if I have a choice....

Is it worth going in the daytime to view the scenery??? Or just go overnight and get a free night's accommodation but miss the view???

I'm quite into geography and different terrain, so if it's going to vary, I would like to see it.

#1 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 02:41

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

there is only 1 sensible daytime train-IF it runs-as stock is sparse and often under repair. More like a bus on rails. Tpoically Thai the windows are opaque and any Thai closes the curtains as soon as ใ80-90% its the usual ricefields, approach into BKk is urban slum-and currently a brandnew SRT-skytrain above it for part of the rails.

#2 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 02:51

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Not much variety of terrain and scenery en route, mostly flat with small towns, fields, rubber trees, cows, dogs and the occasional glimpse of ocean. Depends on how much you like train travel in general. Sleeper trains are bumpy and loud so actual sleep isn't easy, and if it's an aircon car freezing cold at night.

#3 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 10:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Overnight train. On the train you'll likely find that a little bit of scenery goes a long way, and even with the long-haul overnight trains, you'll usually have some window surfing time when you first board and again as you approach the end of the trip.

The last daytime train I took was a diesel sprinter from Ayutthaya to Phitsanulok. The ride was comfortable and the train uncrowded, but many of the seats were broken, and as captainbkk says above, the windows were frosted and/or crusted with dirt, making it almost impossible to look out the windows anyway. The train was also 90 minutes late getting to Ayutthaya and over two hours late by the time we arrived in P-lok.

If you are looking for some daytime train scenery, try short trips. One I really like is the special tourist train from the Bangkok Noi Train Station in Thonburi (just across the river from the Khao San Road area) to Kanchanaburi and beyond. It's third class sitter, which may reduce your bum to tears, but it includes many km of the original track line from the Bridge Over the River Kwai saga and has decent scenery. Plus, it is relatively short.

Also, as Captain_Bob says, the sleeper trains are bumpy and loud, and the 2nd class aircon is like a meat locker. But if you can get a 1st class compartment, there is a door that shuts, which reduces the noise, lights that turn off, and adjustable twist-style air-con nozzles like on airplanes, so you can adjust the temperature a bit.

I really like the overnight sleeper option, and have done it dozens of times, but if Air Asia still flies from Surat Thani to BKK, I'd check into that too. Regards.

#4 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 11:42

• BrumbyJack

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012

Thank you for the replies!!! I won't bother wasting a day sitting on a train :) Too many other things to do...

#5 Posted: 7/12/2012 - 04:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train from Bangkok to Surat Thani ... By supernickymoreton on 20 Jan 2009 7 16566 28 Dec 2009
Overnight train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 5 Jan 2013 7 7657 7 Jan 2013
train form Bangkok to Surat Thani ( Kr- how to book? ... By knot01 on 31 Jan 2009 10 13396 10 Feb 2009
Night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani then ferry to Ko Phangan and on to Koh Tao ... By mejulie on 8 Dec 2012 1 2144 10 Dec 2012
Surat Thani (SW Thailand) - Singapore by train ... By tinamars2000 on 21 Feb 2008 2 5461 11 Jun 2008
Train from surat thani to ratchaburi (ban pong) ... By thaitrip11 on 11 Jun 2011 3 2737 11 Jun 2011
best way to go from surat thani to malaysia? train/bus or plane ... By matimulinaris on 22 Aug 2009 2 9696 23 Aug 2009
Koh samui via Surat thani train station - WARNING FOR INDEPENDENT TRAVELLERS! ... By johnno on 7 Jan 2010 2 13691 18 Mar 2013
Bangkok to Surat Thani ... By greenman42 on 17 Dec 2009 3 3923 18 Dec 2009
Bangkok or Surat Thani ... By donadoni on 18 Dec 2011 5 1151 19 Dec 2011