Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

4 Week Honeymoon Thailand and Pho Quoc Island

• cindyofstie

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2012

My husband and I are planning a 4 week honeymoon this Feb/March to Thailand and Vietnam. We love to spend time on the beach, ride scooters exploring new places, experience the people and culture of the country we are visiting, experience the food, and have a mix between relaxation and fun/adventure. We aren't super picky about where we stay, but since it is our honeymoon we are hoping to have air-conditioning, hot showers and a swimming pool at most of the places we stay (we would be fine for a few nights in a beach bungalow with no pool/air con etc if it was right on the beach). This is our itinerary so far, and I would appreciate feedback and input regarding length of stay at each destination, how to get to/from each destination, if our budget is realistic, where to stay and "must see's". Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Feb 17th 2013. Arrive in Bangkok
    Feb 19th 2013. Fly from Bangkok - Ho Chi Minh
    Feb 19-21 2013. Ho Chi Minh
    Feb 22nd 2013. Fly from Ho Chi Minh to Pho Quoc Island
    Feb 22- 28thst 2013. Pho Quoc Island
    Feb 28th 2013. Fly from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok
    Feb 28th 2013. Overnight Train to Krabi
    Feb 28th – March 10th (Krabi, Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi)
    March 10th – Krabi-Trang (Maybe overnight train again or fly?)
    March 10-16th Koh Lipe
    March 16th Fly from Trang to Bangkok
    March 17th Fly from Bangkok -Home Vancouver

I feel like we might be wasting a lot of time at the beginning of our trip getting to and from Pho Quoc Island and would be willing in change this part of the trip, I just have had my heart set on Pho Quoc (but I could change my mind if there was a better option in Vietnam)

Thanks again!

#1 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 13:09

• Advertisement

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

We spent 4 days at the Mango Bay Hotel in April 2011 it was quiet there, the island is good place to explore you wont get lost and Sao Cao beach is beautiful, there was no one there. My wife wants to retire there. There a little guest house there our guide told us it was only 50 dollars a night.
    I'm working my way up to Bangkok this March from Singapore and my wife still wants to fit Phu Quok in the itinerary.

It's your honeymoon enjoy, Congratulations from a fellow Canuck

#2 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 19:56

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Just FYI, and you may already know this, but there is no overnight train to Krabi. There are no trains going there at all. You'll have to combine the train with a bus or taxi, or fly or take the bus all the way to Krabi instead.

But you could take an overnight train to Trang and then work your way up from there.

#3 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 21:31

• cindyofstie

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2012

Thank you all, very much, for your input! We are getting really excited and have taken all of this information into consideration :) Happy Travels!!

#4 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 17:56

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I can recommend the area around Mango Bay for somewhere a little quieter and more relaxed. Fantastic part of the island.

#5 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 19:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Congrats :)

Just on this bit:

Feb 28th 2013. Overnight Train to Krabi
    Feb 28th March 10th (Krabi, Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi)
    March 10th Krabi-Trang (Maybe overnight train again or fly?)
    March 10-16th Koh Lipe
    March 16th Fly from Trang to Bangkok
    March 17th Fly from Bangkok -Home Vancouver

As Tilapia pointed out no train from Bangkok to Krabi - you can either go by bus, fly or train to Surat Thani or Trang and bus from there. You may want to read our story on the Andaman Sea Island Hopper route which details how you can island hop from Ko Phi Phi all the way south to Ko Lipe meaning you wouldn't need to return to the mainland till you fly back to Bangkok.

Just a thought.

#6 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 19:07

• ProfessorFa-
    rt

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

I'd say don't fly to Phu Quoc as the road trip down through the delta to Rach Gia is stunning.

#7 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 02:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If time allows agree with the Professor -- I did it by motorbike in early dec, brief trip report with plenty of pics here -- but if you are short of time, fly as it took us two full days by motorbike (albeit taking back roads) on the main road I'd guess 9 hours Rach Gia to HCM, though could be wrong.

#8 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 02:48

• ProfessorFa-
    rt

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

It was a full day but one which still remains firmly in my mind.

If memory serves me right it only cost us about 50$ as well for 4 of us in a minivan and Fergy paid...

#9 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 02:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anyone stayed at Thanh Quoc (Phu Quoc Island) ... By Roody82 on 4 Dec 2008 3 3974 5 Dec 2008
Honeymoon andaman island hop ... By jodie6104 on 22 Oct 2009 7 1833 30 Oct 2009